Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sorned Car

Sponsored by Chris Knott Insurance
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by ronk » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:49 am

ChrisKnottIns wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:25 am
ronk wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:41 pm I have my 35is insured thro a policy with Chris Knott

Will my car remain fully insured while it’s sorned and tucked away in my garage over winter?
Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

If you would like us to check your policy to ensure that the cover you require is in place, please call us on 0800 9172274 or email us at [email protected].

Thanks

Simon Clark
Chris Knott Insurance
I contacted your office and received a very prompt reply but I was amazed at the negative results from the insurance company as indeed were many on this forum to find my policy with Highway did not cover me while the car was sorned.
The vehicle is of course fully maintained mot’d and otherwise roadworthy.

I was not looking for any cost reductions, merely notifying the insurance company that the VED had been cancelled in accordance with dvla requirements.

My Z4 as many others Is sorned for six months every year and is stored in a warm, locked and alarmed garage during that time yet the insurers don’t cover the greatly reduced risk. It seems they would rather the car be used in the cold, slippery, wet, foggy days of winter.

I am not unique in this situation and I think this is something you should discuss with your underwriters.

I’m sure there are many who look forward to this post being updated !
Last edited by ronk on Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Rockhopper

Sorned Car

Post by Rockhopper » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:12 pm

This must be some unintended consequence of the continuous insurance requirement?

PaddyfromStoke

Sorned Car

Post by PaddyfromStoke » Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:44 pm

I have now renewed my insurance with Lancaster, and while checking with them regarding being insured when a vehicle is sorned they stated there is only one underwriter they use that would do this , so I will get a small refund on my premium for the months it is off the road over winter but will stay fully insured.👍
The customer service advisor stated he had never had anyone ask the question before, and believed the reason most insurance companies won’t consider it was because most insurers class a Sorn vehicle as unroadworthy.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by Pondrew » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:26 pm

PaddyfromStoke wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:44 pm The customer service advisor stated he had never had anyone ask the question before, and believed the reason most insurance companies won’t consider it was because most insurers class a Sorn vehicle as unroadworthy.
If that is the reason, then surely the insurance companies need 'educating' by the thousands of their customers where this is not the case. SORNing a car over Winter for storage reasons is not new, it's been happening for ever.
I will bet if I ask my insurers to supply a policy where the comp cover downgrades to fire and theft whenever the car is SORNed, then reverts back to comp when it is re-taxed, they will say 'computer says NO'.
I really don't see the issue from an insurer's POV, their risk is massively lowered but the premium is still paid as if it wasn't.

There is possibly a way around this, though. If you carry on as normal; then if something happens (a fire or theft), you just re-tax the car straight away. RFL runs from first of any month, so in this scenario it would be taxed when the issue occurred! I doubt even insurers are going to check when a car is taxed, even if they did it wouldn't matter.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by Ewazix » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:02 pm

I've contacted the Association of British Insurers asking if they can explain the UK insurance industry position is on this and provide some sort of rationale for not covering a car on SORN. I've set out my case for example, where the car is MOT'd (roadworthy) and is in the locked garage at my home which is the circumstances declared on the policy. On the face of it they should be rubbing their hands at the prospect of money for nothing.

I'll update if I get any response...
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by Nanu » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:31 pm

It's madness. Why wouldn't they insure a anything which is a lower risk? They should in reality offer a discount while the car is not being used.

Due to a change in employment recently, I contacted my insurers and told them my business mileage and therefore my overall mileage would reduce by 3K per annum. They immediately reduced my premium as a result. Logic should follow that as a SORNED car is doing less mileage and lower risk that the premium should be reduced not cancelled. Just doesn't make any sense.

Perhaps correspondence to a motoring magazine or something like Watchdog to publicise as I suspect the vast majority of motorists are not aware of this. They are better positioned to ask the industry the question, Why?
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

pvr
Legend
Legend

Sorned Car

Post by pvr » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:10 pm

Same rubbish as with the winter tyres and insurance a few years back. No reason then either and it was corrected.

I assume the claim numbers is so low on sorned cars that they don’t actually ever have to test it. There is no correlation between tax and insurance so why try to make one.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by ronk » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:13 pm

I hope there is a suitable reaction to this post by all concerned - I was fully expecting a simple “yes, that will be absolutely fine” answer!

ChrisKnottIns

Sorned Car

Post by ChrisKnottIns » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:45 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:49 am
ronk wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:41 pm I have my 35is insured thro a policy with Chris Knott

Will my car remain fully insured while it’s sorned and tucked away in my garage over winter?
Hi,

If you would like us to check your policy to ensure that the cover you require is in place, please call us on 0800 9172274 or email us at [email protected].

Thanks

Simon Clark
Chris Knott Insurance
I contacted your office and received a very prompt reply but I was amazed at the negative results from the insurance company as indeed were many on this forum to find my policy with Highway did not cover me while the car was sorned.

I was not looking for any cost reductions, merely notifying the insurance company that the VED had been cancelled in accordance with dvla requirements.

My Z4 as many others Is sorned for six months every year and is stored in a warm, locked and alarmed garage during that time yet the insurers don’t cover the greatly reduced risk. It seems they would rather the car be used in the cold, slippery, wet, foggy days of winter.

I am not unique in this situation and I think this is something you should discuss with your underwriters.

Hi Ron,

Many thanks for your post. Your enquiry regarding SORN insurance was the first we have had for a long time. As you know from the conversation with our team, we did refer this over to the underwriting team and unfortunately this is not something they would usually accommodate under the current scheme we have with Highway. However, as discussed, they have agreed to continue cover until your renewal date and as advised, we will look to move to a company that will facilitate the fact that your are likely to declare the vehicle SORN.

Many thanks

Chris Knott Insurance
Chris Knott Insurance - 0800 917 2274 (or 01424 200477)
Club code: Z4-866
LIKE us on Facebook / Follow us on Twitter

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:06 pm

ChrisKnottIns wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:45 pm we will look to move to a company that will facilitate the fact that your are likely to declare the vehicle SORN.
That's encouraging. :thumbsup:

I think it would be a good question to add to your initial checklist when someone calls you up for a quote.
Given that you are aiming at the enthusiasts' market, where a large proportion of owners are likely to SORN their cars over the winter, then it makes sense to ensure that you offer a suitable product to cover this.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by Pondrew » Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:49 pm

I have a nasty feeling that because we are now talking about a 'special requirements' policy, the price is going to go up rather than, as it should, down.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by ronk » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:29 am

ChrisKnottIns wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:45 pm
ronk wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:49 am

Hi,

Thanks

Simon Clark
Chris Knott Insurance

Hi Ron,

Many thanks for your post. Your enquiry regarding SORN insurance was the first we have had for a long time. As you know from the conversation with our team, we did refer this over to the underwriting team and unfortunately this is not something they would usually accommodate under the current scheme we have with Highway. However, as discussed, they have agreed to continue cover until your renewal date and as advised, we will look to move to a company that will facilitate the fact that your are likely to declare the vehicle SORN.

Many thanks

Chris Knott Insurance
Thanks for replying openly to the situation- your communications re this issue have been excellent and that is appreciated.

I think the sorn issue should be discussed with the insurance company- I was not looking for any discount or refunds for the six months of the year my car is unused.
Indeed the car is stored In the same locked and alarmed garage as it is ever night while being used over the summer months- but because I don’t don’t pay the ved the risk is not acceptable to the insurers?
The risk of loss would be much much higher should I use the car!

I’m sure I’m not alone on this forum and indeed other car user forums.

I’m sure this is a issue you ought to seriously discuss with the providers .

Thank you for taking the time to reply publicly- I’m sure there will be many others who are watching for a sensible reply from them.
I appreciate that they have allowed me to sorn my car this year but I am at a loss to understand their rationale!

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Sorned Car

Post by Ewazix » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:24 am

ronk wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:29 am
.............. the car is stored In the same locked and alarmed garage as it is ever night while being used over the summer months- but because I don’t don’t pay the ved the risk is not acceptable to the insurers? ......... I am at a loss to understand their rationale!
Ronk, this is the question that is not being answered, as I mentioned previously I've contacted the ABI asking but am getting no response so far.

My suspicion is that reasons for SORN can vary, including a car being unroadworthy (whilst still MOT'd), under restoration or repair, due to financial difficulties or being unable to sell it. All can, and have been reasons for unscrupulous owners to cut their losses and report it stolen, I'll bet that industry statistics show this and flag cars on SORN as an elevated risk. Sadly careful enthusiast owners SORN'ing cars to protect them are probably being bundled up with a dishonest minority.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

srhutch

Sorned Car

Post by srhutch » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:21 am

PaddyfromStoke wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:32 pm Aviva
Thank you for choosing Aviva
Hello Patrick,

Thank you for your reply.

We do not provide cover for a SORN vehicle, you would need to cancel your policy.
To cancel online, just follow the steps below:

I’ve checked with my insurance as I always have sorted my E85 during the winter and received this reply today :cry:
So don’t think I will bother this time.
I nearly moved to Aviva this year, glad I didn’t now as the saving would be lost having to read the ///M for another 4 or 5 months would have been £200-£250.

I’m not sure if it’s posted on here or not but a couple of years ago Admiral confirmed to me my car was covered if SORN but number5 (Alan) got the complete opposite response from them. He forwarded my communication from them to his contact and managed to get them to then confirm in writing the car was covered.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorned Car

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:59 pm

Lets see how this plays out guys. Chris Knott are a broker not an insurance compant (as I'm sure most of you know), so they will be in a better position to liaise with the insurance companies on our behalf. I will keep my eye on this in the meantime but as an aside I think we should run a poll as to how many people would require SORN cover in their policy. This will give Chris Knott some good figures to go to the insurance company with.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme