Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

M54 coolant- not seen this before?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:49 am

Morning all

Finished the vanos marathon on the aero car

Final piece of the puzzle was as always a new expansion tank. Fitted and done, used the old level sensor.

Restarted the car and all good apart from showing a coolant level light and cant get the heater to blow hot.

So this am, I took the old sensor out and fitted the new one supplied with the expansion tank: fully expecting to get a face of coolant!

But no- swapped them over dry as a bone? Reconnected and there is still a level warning light

So- aside the point I clearly have an air pocket somewhere preventing the heating to work- WTF is with the level sensor and expansion tank??

Cheers

Stuart
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:44 pm

Hi Stu. Have you got the front of the car raised when bleeding ? I always have the front of mine on ramps or axle stands when I bleed it and never had an issue :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:50 pm

Hi Si!

Yes all raised up

Going to give it another blast this afternoon

Only difference was 5L out but about 5.5L in?

Why is no coolant pouring out when I take the level sensor out though? I can’t get my head around that?

Level is high in the expansion tank? Is it possible I’ve got an air pocket in there?
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:30 pm

Hi Stuart,
Ratcatcher cut up my old one. The sensor sits in an outer pocket. This is surrounded by a float with a magnet in it that actuates the reed switch in the sensor.
This float moves in its own chamber which is only about 1/4 of the height of the tank, so it only starts to move when the coolant is very low.
The float that pops out the top is a visual guide only. This only goes down to about 2/3 of the tank level. In other words, if your pop up float bottoms out, you still could have 1/3 tank of coolant in there.
I always assumed the pop up float activated the switch when it dropped right down, but the two are completely segregated.

Chop up your old tank, it's quite complex inside.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:35 pm

Wow!!

Off to get the Dremel to investigate

Cheers!!!

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:49 pm

bigwinn wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:35 pm Wow!!

Off to get the Dremel to investigate

Cheers!!!
It seems a real piece of German over-engineering. Shame the plastic didn't live up to the design ethos. :roll:

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:49 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:49 pm It seems a real piece of German over-engineering. Shame the plastic didn't live up to the design ethos.
:lol:
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:49 pm

bigwinn wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:35 pm Off to get the Dremel to investigate
:worthless:
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:26 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:49 pm
bigwinn wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:35 pm Off to get the Dremel to investigate
:worthless:
Got sidetracked

Will get brutal tomorrow

EWS Delete PM me

Z4ZeeGermans

Post by Z4ZeeGermans » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:00 am

bigwinn wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:49 am Morning all

Finished the vanos marathon on the aero car

Final piece of the puzzle was as always a new expansion tank. Fitted and done, used the old level sensor.

Restarted the car and all good apart from showing a coolant level light and cant get the heater to blow hot.

So this am, I took the old sensor out and fitted the new one supplied with the expansion tank: fully expecting to get a face of coolant!

But no- swapped them over dry as a bone? Reconnected and there is still a level warning light

So- aside the point I clearly have an air pocket somewhere preventing the heating to work- WTF is with the level sensor and expansion tank??

Cheers

Stuart
Well, if my situation turns out to be an air lock of some sort, I believe M54 is a b*stard of a thing when it comes to draining and replacing the coolant. I've noticed something similar when I changed the exp. tank (I also used the old sensor): the heater was mildly cool on passenger side but hot on the driver's side. I had to make sure I got all the air out (which was not a quick ordeal) and add back some deionised water for the heater to even out. Even then, as you've seen on my other thread, I may have had a persistent air lock in the system. I wish I had a Z4 with an electric water pump to be honest...

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:59 pm

To be fair this is the first time I’ve had an issue bleeding- my own fault as I had the front up on axle stands as opposed to ramps-

EWS Delete PM me

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:33 pm

I've had an ongoing issue with my heating which I'm putting down to an air pocket trapped in the coolant loop.
I either get hot air or cold with not much temp regulation possible in between.
Need to try yet another bleed / top up at some point...
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:50 pm

bigwinn wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:59 pm To be fair this is the first time I’ve had an issue bleeding- my own fault as I had the front up on axle stands as opposed to ramps-
Did you get a chance to check out that expansion tank construction?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:02 pm

Still saved in the pile of stuff to do!

EWS Delete PM me