Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2010 23i Carly Coding Observations

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
wanderer

Post by wanderer » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:37 pm

Well folks, first post.

After having missed a manual 2012 2.0 e89 a few weeks ago (sold in 3 days), i stumbled across a 2010 auto 23i in the exact same colour.
Ex UK car imported to IE currently on ~58,000 miles.

I decided to use my Carly unit to see what i could code.

So far i've been successful with:
- Folding mirrors - i noticed though that one has to press & hold the lock button for it to close rather than press once.
- Beep on lock - i am paranoid about locking cars and sometimes hit that lock button two or three times, so the audible beep is great
(although it may be a tad too loud).
- Digital Speedometer - this is great for me as i can set it to KM/H and is visible compared to the KPH on the gauge being smaller that MPH.
- Hazard light flash timing
- Registration of battery - a new battery was placed in before i purchased but was not showing up, so i re-registered it.

Stuff i haven't been successful with:
- Exhaust flap coding - the option is not there in Carly for this car (can't see the physical actuator either) - Does this car not have the flaps?
- Brake Service option - no option for this car to place the brakes into service mode - the option in Carly says that it is not available for this
vehicle.

That brake service option is a real pity as it would make my life so much easier when i intend to change the disks & pads.
Are these limitations in Carly perhaps and that may not be limitations in e.g. Bimmercode or other apps?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:53 pm

wanderer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:37 pm Stuff i haven't been successful with:
- Exhaust flap coding - the option is not there in Carly for this car (can't see the physical actuator either) - Does this car not have the flaps?

That brake service option is a real pity as it would make my life so much easier when i intend to change the disks & pads.
It should have a flap in the right tail pipe (or is the left?). You can see it if you look into the exhaust (may need a torch). I think it is mechanical only (vacuum operated??). There is a golf-tee mod you can do to the flap.

You don't need the brake service mode to change the rear pads. It is fairly easy, just leave the ebrake off (it doesn't auto re-apply), take the motor off and compress the piston for the ebrake the same as for the normal piston. Then put the motor back on. When the ebrake is re-applied, it will adjust itself as the motor is current sensitive.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:58 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:53 pm
wanderer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:37 pm Stuff i haven't been successful with:

It should have a flap in the right tail pipe (or is the left?). You can see it if you look into the exhaust (may need a torch). I think it is mechanical only (vacuum operated??). There is a golf-tee mod you can do to the flap.

You don't need the brake service mode to change the rear pads. It is fairly easy, just leave the ebrake off (it doesn't auto re-apply), take the motor off and compress the piston for the ebrake the same as for the normal piston. Then put the motor back on. When the ebrake is re-applied, it will adjust itself as the motor is current sensitive.
On the 2.0 turbo there is a flap, OP has a 23i six pot which doesn't :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:01 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:58 pm On the 2.0 turbo there is a flap, OP has a 23i six pot which doesn't
Ah yes, didn't read it properly. Just saw the 2012 2.0 bit. OP; what Mr T said.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:03 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:53 pm You don't need that to change the rears. It is fairly easy, just leave the ebrake off (it doesn't auto re-apply), take the motor off and compress the piston for the ebrake the same as for the normal piston. Then put the motor back on. When the ebrake is re-applied, it will adjust itself as the motor is current sensitive.
Thanks for that! Great to know.
Still have a good deal of life left in the brakes, but nice to know that i can do it myself. BMW here would charge €580.

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:06 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:58 pm On the 2.0 turbo there is a flap, OP has a 23i six pot which doesn't :thumbsup:
Thanks for that clarification!
I thought i was going blind and was looking for a rod or a brighter flashlight i could stick in there to check if there was a flap.
So, no flap on the 23i six cylinder, hence no actuator as well.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:24 pm

wanderer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:03 pm Thanks for that! Great to know.
Still have a good deal of life left in the brakes, but nice to know that i can do it myself. BMW here would charge €580.
I got a quote from a local Indy for about £600 for all four discs and pads. I did them myself (with much better quality parts and low dust pads) for around £250.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Zikim

Post by Zikim » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:13 pm

wanderer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:37 pm
As an extra precaution when the E-brake has been released, disconnect the cable connector to to E-brake so that It can’t accidentally be re-engaged!

Fairly easy job :D

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:02 pm

Well welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

We'd love to see some photos of your Z4!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:24 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:02 pm We'd love to see some photos of your Z4!
Oh yeah, forgot that bit. :D

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:11 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:02 pm Well welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

We'd love to see some photos of your Z4!
I suspected that would arise.

It is pretty much bug standard at the moment, however i got it detailed with a paint correction & ceramic coating from one of the best guys in Dublin.

Need advice on what to do with the wheels. I have looked through hundreds of posts on here and they are all good. Currently on bug standard 17"s.

Any suggestions welcome.
Pictures to follow.

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:41 am

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:44 am

These pics are from the detailer.
The interior is...perfect!

Next small steps.
1) Debadge? - just the back z4 emblem or sides as well??

2) Replace center covers on wheels as they are worn from detergents

3) LCI indicators - where to source them?

Big ticket items:
1) What think you on the wheels. I have no clue as i have seen too many options.

2) Should i just leave alloys as is and go for non-runflats (probably Goodyear assy 5) or

3) Replace wheels & tires (huge cost)

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:18 am

I know that they are pics of my own car but all i can say is "luuuurvely".
2.5L 6 pot in my hands = WoW!!

Strangely enough i previously owned a Volvo C70 convertible in almost the same colour.

Owning 2 hard top convertibles in one's life & both the same colour...???...Yup! ...It turns heads!

The previous Z4 version, people used to mention "hairdressers car".
Since Covid i have been cutting my own hair with the pet clippers.
I am proud to be called a hairdresser if anyone wants to!

Road tax on this thing in IE is €1250 (even more for the 3.0L).
Insurance is ~€850/yr as a named driver with 8 years+ experience.

It hits the belt/wallet very much more so than in the UK!

But i luuurve! it!!!

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:52 am

Hello and welcome,

Personally I’d be changing the wheels and putting a good set of non run flats on :thumbsup:

Here’s a thread that may give you some ideas. For me either a set of Veemans or having seen them several times in the flesh the ones Cerbera has on his on page 1 of this thread

viewtopic.php?t=126944&hilit=E89+wheels

Lci indicators are a nice visual upgrade, eBay or similar, occasionally available from the bigger breakers.

Insurance and road tax is a bit of a sore @rse for you but we’ll worth it for the pleasure you’ll get out of it :driving:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)