Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Irish Run 2022 (last weekend in May?)

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
Attilio

Post by Attilio » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:40 am

Hello all,

apologies for the "radio silence" during all these months. I can reassure you that my passion for the Z4 has not waned!

Following the kind message of interest by many of you and the support of other Ireland-based members who kindly offered to help, I am planning to resume the original plan of an Irish Run and make some changes for 2022 in light of the experience gained this summer.

Here is the link to the original topic viewtopic.php?t=119988 for those interested in getting a flavour of the route.

However, for 2022, I would like to make some changes to make sure there will be more to see of the Wild Atlantic Way from the Southwestern corner of Ireland to Connmara and some of its fantastic places. I appreciate that it may be "intense" from a driving point of view but I am sure you will all enjoy the rewards of some spectacular views and interesting roads.

The itinerary is not 100% defined but in general terms I am thinking of the following:

Originally I had in mind June 4th - 6th but then realised that June 6th is a Bank Holiday and that is likely to cause two issues: accommodation availability and prices are going to be higher. Maybe the last weekend in May is more sensible as it would also avoid school holidays?

Anyway, the broad plan - with dates to be confirmed - is as follows:

Day 1 (Sat 28th May) - Departure from Dublin to reach West Cork via Cashel with overnight stop in Glengarriff or other near small town/village.
Day 2 (Sun 29th May)- Ring of Kerry and up the West Coast towards the Cliffs of Moher and then Doolin / Ballyvaughan to stay there
Day 3 (Mon 30th May) - Galway and Connemara with a drive to visit some of iconic locations such as Clifden and the Sky Road, the fjord of Leenaun and possibly up to Westport.

I am going to work to refine the length of each stage and ensure some of the best locations are included so the key stops of each of the days are not yet firm. However, this should give you all an idea of the general plan and other details you need to start looking at ferries for the journey over.

Feel free to make suggestions in terms of what you think will be a reasonable driving time each day (I get carried away when I am having fun :wink: ); the summer will give us the advantage of very long days and sun/light in the evenings to pack a few extra miles, but the roads on the West coast are best approached with respect and we want to have fun in a relaxed way to make sure we enjoy the scenery too.

I appreciate it may be a big commitment for all of you travelling from the UK, perhaps it makes sense to pack in as much as possible once you cross the Irish sea?

I am also planning to planning to make the most of Irish pubs for lunch and dinners and B&Bs for accommodation to contain costs.

Let me know what you think.

Attilio
Last edited by Attilio on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

alane29

Post by alane29 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:14 am

Hello , Great routes but I think its a lot of driving in 3 days.
I have driven those routes started in Dublin to Galway then down to Cliffs of Moher into Limerick and round the ring of Kerry to the titanic museum in Cork and back to Dublin .Was exhausted at the end of it.
I am Irish living the UK would be interested but a 3 day duration makes it a chore rather than fun
2007 E86 M Coupe
2005 E85 2.5SE

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:19 pm

Hi Attilio, on a completely selfish note, the new date looks to suit me more than initial one :thumbsup:

As a newbie to S.Ireland

Just a few general questions,

What day/date would be the start of this?

Are you looking to book the accommodation or just notify of the locations and everyone does their own? Either way I’m hoping S.Ireland isn’t already as booked out as Scotland for next year.

Re the driving intensity heavier days doesn’t bother me as long as there’s the odd bit of sightseeing along the, my OH is reasonably chilled about either but likes the odd picture and memory to remember where she’s been if the rest is passing at a blur :lol:

Cheers
Last edited by Argyll Andy on Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:22 pm

alane29 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:14 am Hello , Great routes but I think its a lot of driving in 3 days.
    I have driven those routes started in Dublin to Galway then down to Cliffs of Moher into Limerick and round the ring of Kerry to the titanic museum in Cork and back to Dublin .Was exhausted at the end of it.
    I am Irish living the UK would be interested but a 3 day duration makes it a chore rather than fun
    Hello Alane29,

thanks for the feedback! yes, it is intense but it is designed to give people the chance to view most of the Republic West coast. I will see what is the general consensus...bear in mind that it is of course possible to peel off at the end of day 2 and head back to Dublin/Belfact to catch a ferry back.

Keep an eye on this thread as I am sure there will be a lot of updates.

Thanks for your interest!
    Attilio
    Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:38 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:19 pm Hi Attilio, on a completely selfish note, the new date looks to suit me more than initial one :thumbsup:

As a newbie to S.Ireland

Are you looking to book the accommodation or just notify of the locations and everyone does their own? Either way I’m hoping S.Ireland isn’t already as booked out as Scotland for next year.

Re the driving intensity heavier days doesn’t bother me as long as there’s the odd bit of sightseeing along the, my OH is reasonably chilled about either but likes the odd picture or to to remember where she’s been if the rest is passing at a blur :lol:

Cheers
    Hello Argyll Andy!

the most likely dates are being finalized but if it goes ahead at the end of May (to avoid the crowds of the Irish June Bank Holiday) they are likely to be Day 1: 28th May - Day 2: 29th May and Day 3: 30th May - will update the post to reflect this.

I am designing the route with that specific objective: drive at a comfortable pace, stop to take pics of the best spots, refreshments and food in nice village pubs. My OH would kill me if it were only driving, and from what you just said, she would be in good company :lol:
    This is also why I am saying that the route & stops are not yet 100% defined.

The original post it to put a date in the diary and allow members to decide whether it is of interest and possibly book ferries early. Regarding the accommodation, the plan is to indicate the area and suggest places leaving the booking to individual members. My friend David - also forum member - offered to help given his contacts in the hospitality sector. We may be able to suggest hotels at a "friendly" rate, who knows at this stage. Given my experience, B&Bs represent the best value and also offer really good breakfasts, they also help with organising transfers to and from pubs - :wink:

As mentioned in a previous post, keep an eye for the updates on this thread and thanks for your interest!

It will be really good to have a bit of fun together while showing you how beautiful Ireland is

A

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:50 pm

Attilio wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:38 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:19 pm Hi Attilio, on a completely selfish note, the new date looks to suit me more than initial one :thumbsup:

As a newbie to S.Ireland

Re the driving intensity heavier days doesn’t bother me as long as there’s the odd bit of sightseeing along the, my OH is reasonably chilled about either but likes the odd picture or to to remember where she’s been if the rest is passing at a blur :lol:

Cheers
    Hello Argyll Andy!

the most likely dates are being finalized but if it goes ahead at the end of May (to avoid the crowds of the Irish June Bank Holiday) they are likely to be Day 1: 28th May - Day 2: 29th May and Day 3: 30th May - will update the post to reflect this.

I am designing the route with that specific objective: drive at a comfortable pace, stop to take pics of the best spots, refreshments and food in nice village pubs. My OH would kill me if it were only driving, and from what you just said, she would be in good company :lol:
    This is also why I am saying that the route & stops are not yet 100% defined.

The original post it to put a date in the diary and allow members to decide whether it is of interest and possibly book ferries early. Regarding the accommodation, the plan is to indicate the area and suggest places leaving the booking to individual members. My friend David - also forum member - offered to help given his contacts in the hospitality sector. We may be able to suggest hotels at a "friendly" rate, who knows at this stage. Given my experience, B&Bs represent the best value and also offer really good breakfasts, they also help with organising transfers to and from pubs - :wink:

As mentioned in a previous post, keep an eye for the updates on this thread and thanks for your interest!

It will be really good to have a bit of fun together while showing you how beautiful Ireland is

A
    Thanks for the additional info Attilio, fully understand it’s in its initial planning stages. At least our OH’s will have someone to “discuss” us with :lol:

:thumbsup: subscribed to thread so will get any updates :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:57 pm

Hi Attilio
      The end of May would also be better for me, I don’t mind if you have an extra day to lessen the driving to take in a little sightseeing, I’m also not averse to a few hours in a pub if finishing earlier in the afternoon 😁🍺, please add Julie and myself to the list when you get it finalised 👍
      Mick
      E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

craig3.2
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:29 pm

Hi Attillio,as per our chats,Add me to the list, Thanks.
      As Michael (chippie) said,End of May works fine for me, although start of June does too(but as you say, probably a good idea to avoid the Irish Bank hol)and I too would be okay with either 3 or 4 days, whatever suits you,or whatever you think best,happy to go with it.
      Did the Nc500 in 3 days with regular sight seeing stops,and it didn't feel too rushed ,so happy with whatever.
      Got some friends near Westport,so I could kip there one night possibly.

Not been to Dublin for a while,so be nice to get back across,and to see some more of Ireland,and to catch up with you and your Wife again :thumbsup:
      Last edited by craig3.2 on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
      Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

mmm-five
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:00 pm

Would have been up for this too - in whatever old jalopy is working at the time - but it's too close to the NC500 run for me to take any more time off...especially with the extra days at each end required to travel to Scotland & Ireland and back.

FYI 2022 has an unusual Spring Bank holiday in England (possibly the rest of the UK too) in that it's not at the end of May, but the beginning of June (Thursday 2nd and Friday 3rd) to allow for an extra day for Lizzie's Jubilee holiday :P
      Trigger’s Z4MC
      Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
      Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

craig3.2
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:06 pm

mmm-five wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:00 pm Would have been up for this too - in whatever old jalopy is working at the time - but it's too close to the NC500 run for me to take any more time off...especially with the extra days at each end required to travel to Scotland & Ireland and back.

FYI 2022 has an unusual Spring Bank holiday in England (possibly the rest of the UK too) in that it's not at the end of May, but the beginning of June (Thursday 2nd and Friday 3rd) to allow for an extra day for Lizzie's Jubilee holiday :P
      Shame you can't get the time off,Tony.
      Especially since you will hopefully, Finally have the z back,enhanced too,lol
      Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
      Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

mmm-five
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:36 pm

craig3.2 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:06 pm
      mmm-five wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:00 pm Would have been up for this too - in whatever old jalopy is working at the time - but it's too close to the NC500 run for me to take any more time off...especially with the extra days at each end required to travel to Scotland & Ireland and back.

Shame you can't get the time off,Tony.
      Especially since you will hopefully, Finally have the z back,enhanced too,lol
      I can have more time off, but I need some time in between to catch up with the stuff no one else can/will do whilst I’m off.

So, if I get home from the NC500 on the Monday (after a 3-day week), and have to leave on Thursday of the same week for Ireland (so another 3 day week), it doesn’t leave much time to catch up…especially when the following week is also a 3-day week due to Lizzie’s Jubilee holiday.

…and I’ve got to start fitting in some trackdays and ring trips to make the repairs & enhancements worthwhile :P

This is of course all assuming I’m still working for the same client come May 2022 :|
      Trigger’s Z4MC
      Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
      Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

RJBaz 3.4

Post by RJBaz 3.4 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:26 pm

Hi Attillio,
      As I said in the original topic that I am still interested and I think these dates suits me fine :thumbsup: . We will most likely to stay in Ireland for another few days afterwards before heading home :driving: :driving: .
      Cheers,
      Robert & Hilary. :thumbsup:

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:55 pm

RJBaz 3.4 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:26 pm Hi Attillio,
      As I said in the original topic that I am still interested and I think these dates suits me fine :thumbsup: . We will most likely to stay in Ireland for another few days afterwards before heading home :driving: :driving: .
      Cheers,
      Robert & Hilary. :thumbsup:
      Hi there!

great to hear from you. Hope all is well. I am really happy that you are interested. It will be great to see you and Hilary again!

Keep an eye on this thread as I will be updating it as we make progress with the plans

All the best
      Attilio

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:58 pm

Chippie wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:57 pm Hi Attilio
      The end of May would also be better for me, I don’t mind if you have an extra day to lessen the driving to take in a little sightseeing, I’m also not averse to a few hours in a pub if finishing earlier in the afternoon 😁🍺, please add Julie and myself to the list when you get it finalised 👍
      Mick
      Hi Mick,

great to hear! Will keep a "place" for you and Julie as well :)
      Keep an eye on this thread!

Attilio

patriot66
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:16 am

Hi Attilio. Hope you and Helen are both well. As you know I was really hoping to be able to come along on this event but for various reasons it's just not going to be feasible for me in 2022 :( Hopefully if you were to hold it again in 2023 then circumstances may be more favourable and I could come along then :thumbsup:
      Fingers crossed,
      Regards, Si
      Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !