Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tech wizards apply here please.....

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:04 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:52 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:35 pm
sars wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:58 pm I do like Sennheiser earphones, good choice :thumbsup:
I'm also a fan. Just part of my collection of 90's HD-range Senns..
IMG_20210906_102914_1.jpg

john-e89 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:24 pm Wired is always best I think, I'm just wondering if the basic adapter supplied is the weak link here, although it sounds pretty good to be fair.
Wired most definitely IS your best option when it comes to sound quality.
However, I'm keen to find out how good the bluetooth 'APTX Lossless' codec is. If it's anywhere near as good as industry claims then it may well be a worthy contender for wired solutions when it comes to hi-resolution music playback.
Will it matter what what machine you use if wireless turns out to be that good..? Eg, a cheap crap tablet V a very good quality one or are the differences in price down to better quality parts internally and capability yet they won't have any effect on music quality..?
It's literally too vast and subjective a discussion to get into John.
In essence, bluetooth wireless signal transfer has always been (up until the advent of the proposed APTX lossless codec) a compromise to SQ as the signal is compressed and then decompressed using algorithms that detrimentally affect the SQ.
The other main part of the SQ equation is the DAC and amplifier stages and how they are implemented which can vary wildly from device to device.
To give you an example of my own portable setup, I use USBAudioPLayerPro on an Android phone to play 24bit FLAC files. The signal is transferred to an external Fiio headphone amp and sometimes I will use an external Chord Mojo dac/amp depending on which headphones I'm using.
Overkill, maybe. But if you care about SQ and want to hear what was recorded in the studio, rather than some 3rd party sound-engineers' perception of how your music should sound then this will always be a better solution.

With APTX lossless as well as all of the other Bluetooth codecs you are still reliant on listening to a 'version' of the music that the software developers have deemed viable and within the constraints of what works from a wireless/technical perspective via compression, decompression, losses. i.e. a compromise to the original sound.
I'm curious about whether APTX 'Lossless' will really be...lossless.
IMG_20200813_140514.jpg
IMG_20200813_140514.jpg (105.7 KiB) Viewed 200 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:15 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:04 pm
john-e89 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:52 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:35 pm I'm also a fan. Just part of my collection of 90's HD-range Senns..
IMG_20210906_102914_1.jpg

Wired most definitely IS your best option when it comes to sound quality.
However, I'm keen to find out how good the bluetooth 'APTX Lossless' codec is. If it's anywhere near as good as industry claims then it may well be a worthy contender for wired solutions when it comes to hi-resolution music playback.
Will it matter what what machine you use if wireless turns out to be that good..? Eg, a cheap crap tablet V a very good quality one or are the differences in price down to better quality parts internally and capability yet they won't have any effect on music quality..?
It's literally too vast and subjective a discussion to get into John.
In essence, bluetooth wireless signal transfer has always been (up until the advent of the proposed APTX lossless codec) a compromise to SQ as the signal is compressed and then decompressed using algorithms that detrimentally affect the SQ.
The other main part of the SQ equation is the DAC and amplifier stages and how they are implemented which can vary wildly from device to device.
To give you an example of my own portable setup, I use USBAudioPLayerPro on an Android phone to play 24bit FLAC files. The signal is transferred to an external Fiio headphone amp and sometimes I will use an external Chord Mojo dac/amp depending on which headphones I'm using.
Overkill, maybe. But if you care about SQ and want to hear what was recorded in the studio, rather than some 3rd party sound-engineers' perception of how your music should sound then this will always be a better solution.

With APTX lossless as well as all of the other Bluetooth codecs you are still reliant on listening to a 'version' of the music that the software developers have deemed viable and within the constraints of what works from a wireless/technical perspective via compression, decompression, losses. i.e. a compromise to the original sound.
I'm curious about whether APTX 'Lossless' will really be...lossless.
IMG_20200813_140514.jpg
That makes perfect sense, I'd love to hear your set up, I'm a fan of SQ, I imagine I'd be b!own away. The wireless lossless sounds very interesting, I'd invest if it's as good as it sounds although as you say it'll always be an interpretation but that'll never change I guess.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Stevo1987

Post by Stevo1987 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:28 pm

It all depends depends how good ones ears are. I think mine were made by Alan Sugar's old company. :D
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:56 pm

I’m no audiophile, but I would say my Momentum TW2’s are certainly on a sound par with my wired Shure 425’s and my Momentum 3’s are just amazing, sound quality is exceptional. As for different devices, I only listen to audiobooks or music, rarely video, for music I struggle to tell the difference between Apple lossless and Spotify at the highest sample rate on either of the wireless Sennheiser’s which are both Bluetooth 5.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:13 pm

sars wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:56 pm I’m no audiophile, but I would say my Momentum TW2’s are certainly on a sound par with my wired Shure 425’s and my Momentum 3’s are just amazing, sound quality is exceptional. As for different devices, I only listen to audiobooks or music, rarely video, for music I struggle to tell the difference between Apple lossless and Spotify at the highest sample rate on either of the wireless Sennheiser’s which are both Bluetooth 5.
Interesting view from experience Sars. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:29 am

Have you tried seeing if there are any firmware driver updates for the Bluetooth module on the laptop?

I have Sony wireless earbuds for running and I have configured them for connection rather than performance but that requires their Headphones app to be installed. Not a big fan of Sony products now, battery life is terrible.

Do you experience this issue with other Bluetooth headphones?
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup: