Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Off We Go Then

First port of call for new members
r2uzenblot

Off We Go Then

Post by r2uzenblot » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:47 am

Just upgraded from an MX-5 2.0 GT to a 2020 2.0 M sport auto and this is a few firsts for me. First BMW, first car over £**, first automatic car and first two seat 'sports' car that is comfortable. Working my way through every thing but have a simple newbie question about driving an automatic car.
When you park up do you leave it in Drive (or reverse) or put it into neutral before you switch off and lock up? Still waiting on the handbook and on line can't seem to find the answer.....
2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Off We Go Then

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:59 am

Hello and welcome, a picture of your car would be good before the natives get restless :lol:

They’re lovely cars to drive nd the cabin and comfort levels te fantastic :thumbsup:

There’s a P button on the back face of the gear selector. That should be pressed when you park up and you’ll see the small green indicator light at the side change to P. I can’t remember exactly but I’m sure if you don’t physically do that that the car does it itself when you switch it off but not 100% certain about that.

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

sars
    Lifer
    Lifer

Off We Go Then

Post by sars » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:13 am

Hello and welcome, hope you enjoy your new purchase :thumbsup:
    Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
    Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

enuff_zed
    Lifer
    Lifer

Off We Go Then

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:14 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:59 am Hello and welcome, a picture of your car would be good before the natives get restless :lol:

They’re lovely cars to drive nd the cabin and comfort levels te fantastic :thumbsup:

There’s a P button on the back face of the gear selector. That should be pressed when you park up and you’ll see the small green indicator light at the side change to P. I can’t remember exactly but I’m sure if you don’t physically do that that the car does it itself when you switch it off but not 100% certain about that.
    If it's the same as my new 1-series then yes you put it to neutral and press the P button.
    If you don't the car gets right arsy about it and when you try to lock it the horn beeps at you, just to let the whole world know you've messed up! :rofl:
    HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
    Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Off We Go Then

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:31 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:14 am
    Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:59 am Hello and welcome, a picture of your car would be good before the natives get restless :lol:

If it's the same as my new 1-series then yes you put it to neutral and press the P button.
    If you don't the car gets right arsy about it and when you try to lock it the horn beeps at you, just to let the whole world know you've messed up! :rofl:
    Mine hasn’t shouted at me yet, but maybe unlike you, I’m just getting it right :tumbleweed: :poke: :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

enuff_zed
      Lifer
      Lifer

Off We Go Then

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:36 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:31 am
      enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:14 am

Mine hasn’t shouted at me yet, but maybe unlike you, I’m just getting it right :tumbleweed: :poke: :rofl:
      Very possible. Got so many Z4s now I can't remember how to operate other cars. :roll:
      HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
      Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Scubaregs
      Lifer
      Lifer

Off We Go Then

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:37 am

Switching off the engine with your foot on the brake automatically puts the ebrake on and puts it into P, on the G29 anyway.
      Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
      Image Image

B21
      Lifer
      Lifer
      Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Off We Go Then

Post by B21 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:03 am

Scubaregs wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:37 am Switching off the engine with your foot on the brake automatically puts the ebrake on and puts it into P, on the G29 anyway.
      On the E89 it goes into Park when you switch the engine off, unless you put it into neutral first..

Good practice to seperately use the electronic handbrake as that exercises the unit and reduces any strain on the pawl in the autobox that locks it when in P.

So the correct procedure is

Come to a halt with foot on brake

Put into P

Engage EFB

Either swtich off then release brake or vice versa..

That procedure has the side benefit of giving the turbo chance to spool down, cool down which even though there is a coolant circuit through the turbo helps..just good practice and mechnaically sympathetic to both engine and powertrain.. :thumbsup:
      We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
      A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

r2uzenblot

Off We Go Then

Post by r2uzenblot » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:24 pm

Not had a chance to clean it yet but here's a picture. Looks a bit red when it's actually California Sunset Red.
      Attachments
      IMG_20211019_124626[1].jpg
      IMG_20211019_124626[1].jpg (313.54 KiB) Viewed 702 times
      Last edited by r2uzenblot on Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
      2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
      2008 Triumph Sprint ST
      2020 Cube Hybrid
      1954 Two feet

Scubaregs
      Lifer
      Lifer

Off We Go Then

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:34 pm

B21 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:03 am
      Scubaregs wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:37 am Switching off the engine with your foot on the brake automatically puts the ebrake on and puts it into P, on the G29 anyway.
      On the E89 it goes into Park when you switch the engine off, unless you put it into neutral first..

Good practice to seperately use the electronic handbrake as that exercises the unit and reduces any strain on the pawl in the autobox that locks it when in P.

So the correct procedure is

Come to a halt with foot on brake

Put into P

Engage EFB

Either swtich off then release brake or vice versa..

That procedure has the side benefit of giving the turbo chance to spool down, cool down which even though there is a coolant circuit through the turbo helps..just good practice and mechnaically sympathetic to both engine and powertrain.. :thumbsup:
      I never said it was the correct procedure Peter, just that's what it would do. :wink:
      I doubt very much BMW would allow it to happen if it was in any way detrimental to mechanical sympathy.
      Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
      Image Image

B21
      Lifer
      Lifer
      Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Off We Go Then

Post by B21 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:52 pm

Ah..

a) sped read the post..assumed it was an E89..oops
      b) wasn't insinuating anything just to say that engaging the handbrake is always good practice in an auto and also letting the turbo spin down /cool down prior to engine shutdown is always good practiice for the ultimate longevity of the power train.. :thumbsup:

The reason BMW and others added a post engine shut down coolant run through the turbo was due to people's lack of understanding / empathy, saving them warranty issues..

BMW and others put logic interlocks to protect people from themselves..however those interlocks do fail..hence best practice..

How everyone chooses to drive their car is theirs.. I'm not getting precious about it..
      We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
      A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Chippie

Off We Go Then

Post by Chippie » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:54 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum
      Lovely looking Zed you have there and congratulations on the new purchase
      E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

buzyg
      Legend
      Legend

Off We Go Then

Post by buzyg » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:24 pm

Welcome aboard. Nice and comfy after the Mx5 then. :)

Nanu
      Lifer
      Lifer

Off We Go Then

Post by Nanu » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:20 pm

In the e89 it's all very simple, engage the brake and switch off the engine, the car then does what it's supposed to all by itself.
      G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
      E89 35is Valencia Orange
      E89 28i Crimson
      E89 25i White

jabber
      Lifer
      Lifer

Off We Go Then

Post by jabber » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:24 pm

Hi and welcome :thumbsup: very nice
      Z less again