Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Apple are really taking the piss here

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:55 am

ori wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:51 am
I’ve just ordered a new iMac after deciding that 11 years on my current iMac is enough. That’s 11 years of working on it every single day and it still runs!

Your pays your money and make your choices.

I wouldn’t pay that for a microfibre cloth, but I have spent 2k on a computer which will last me 10 years.
This is spot on. As for "low rent internals" that is not true at all. Sure they may use 3200 RAM instead of 3600 that you get in a PC but in general they work fast and consistent over their lifetime. I have owned a 3 Mac's and probably 15 PC's/laptops... the Mac's outlive the PC's by a long shot, every time. Sure they are expensive, but they do last longer. The latest Apple CPU's are a game changer as well...

In reply to the comment about the ipad being say in a drawer, I have an Android tablet sat in our drawer.... absolutely hate it... maybe we should swap, lol!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:26 am

Stevo1987 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:28 am
Chris_D wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:46 pm I did a stint of consulting at Ultimaker in NL a couple of years ago and there seemed to be a limitless budget when it came to all of the over-entitled, privileged little darling school-leaver interns being issued with Apple gear as standard, then asking for more iThings as time went on.
Ultimaker's overall design aesthetic echoes and cashes-in on the Apple design language so I suppose it only seemed appropriate for them to splurge on all that over-priced crap that Apple sells.
I remember asking the CFO about internal asset management/tracking/accounting and if there were any policies in place. His response: 'Don't ask'. I was issued with an Ultimaker 3 printer to 'take home and play around with to familiarise with our products' when I was there. I hardly used it, they never asked for it back when I left and it's sitting in a box somewhere. Bonkers.

Apple capitalises on this culture of 'need it, want it, gotta have it' not only by the consumer market but also where it occurs in the corporate sector.
Power to them. They have massive, enviable brand-loyalty so why not cash-in? That's a profitable business model in anyone's book!
However, most people who have any semblance or appreciation for value for money don't go near Apple products, including me. I think I was the only person at Ultimaker who was sitting in meetings using an Android tablet and being sneered at for it. Whatever.
:rofl:

Dafuq iz diz humin? Iz new haus for meh?
IMG_20171011_110804.jpg
Wow, impressive! 3D printed a cat. :D
:lol: :rofl: :thumbsup:

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:34 pm

Config can be found on the geekbench comparison page here.

GPU scores on the M1 Max (don't know how many GPU cores on this sample though) seems to be similar to an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, a laptop RTX2070 Max-Q, a desktop RTX2060, or a Radeon RX Vega.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

Colin_E

Post by Colin_E » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:39 pm

I have to smile at the irony that on a BMW forum we’re complaining about price gouging for branded accessories… Ever taken a look at the prices of all the branded knick-knacks in your local stealers? I shudder what to think an “MSport” polishing cloth would go for. :D

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:45 pm

Colin_E wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:39 pm I have to smile at the irony that on a BMW forum we’re complaining about price gouging for branded accessories… Ever taken a look at the prices of all the branded knick-knacks in your local stealers? I shudder what to think an “MSport” polishing cloth would go for. :D
Not M-Sport, but....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BMW-Genuine-Cl ... B008YD4VQ4
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:24 pm

I don’t like Apple, I don’t like there continual and relentless marketing philosophy, so why have I just ordered my first Apple Watch series 7? Because their products just work, are easy to operate and for most who don’t want to tweak them do exactly what you need them to do. My 87yr old mum wouldn’t be without her iPhone or iPad and they’re simple enough she can use them.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:37 pm

Colin_E wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:39 pm I have to smile at the irony that on a BMW forum we’re complaining about price gouging for branded accessories… Ever taken a look at the prices of all the branded knick-knacks in your local stealers? I shudder what to think an “MSport” polishing cloth would go for. :D
I think the problem with Apple is you tend to get sucked in a little with their hype and then they tend to become the comfortable default choice which is what they want :?

Years ago I think they were great and the market leaders but maybe not so much now and way too overpriced these days.

Still you takes your choice, maybe next time I might try one of their MacBooks to see if the hype still exists :)

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:38 pm

I changed to the Apple a few years ago.

My Samsung phone would not stay linked to the E89 I had at the time - My wife and I both needed new phones but Samsung were not able to help nor give any guarantee their new phones would not do the same.
The service manager at my BMW dealership said iPhones had given then no grief so I borrowed an iPhone to try and it worked faultlessly.

I went on to buy iPhones, iPads , Mac book and iMac
Like a lot of expensive things, they are expensive for a reason.
Don’t expect to get champagne for lemonade money.

My nine year old iMac is as quick as the day I bought it - how many pc’s that old are still performing as well as they came out of the box? It has 500Gb of disk space used out of the 1Tb yet It loads photos and files without any undue delay.
When I messed up the system by fiddling with some settings, the ‘time machine ‘ was there to help restore to a known good point simply without a fuss.
I found this a great relief as I’m no IT guru and being retired, I don’t have access to the IT department any longer.

I would also add that the integration between their product is excellent - my wife hates tech stuff, yet she happily works between her iphone/iPad/MacBook.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:29 pm

Stevo1987 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:28 am Wow, impressive! 3D printed a cat.
I thought that too. Either that or the fumes from the resin killed the pussy :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Stevo1987

Post by Stevo1987 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:24 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:29 pm
Stevo1987 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:28 am Wow, impressive! 3D printed a cat.
I thought that too. Either that or the fumes from the resin killed the pussy :D
Pussy? Now you are talking.... oops wrong forum.
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:52 pm

sars wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:24 pm I don’t like Apple, I don’t like there continual and relentless marketing philosophy, so why have I just ordered my first Apple Watch series 7?
Come off it Sars, I know exactly why you want a smart watch...
SmartWatch.jpg
SmartWatch.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 272 times
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:27 pm

PerryGunn, hahahaha swap chocolate for wine and you’d be spot on :thumbsup:
I’ve had a step tracker for years, Jawbone first and then a Fitbit, which I’m on my third, the last being their new Luxe model. I’ve preferred the slim type as I’ve usually worn a watch, but this last year I’ve only worn a watchfor work or nights out. Now, with the ability to run everything off it without the need for your phone nearby I think the time is right to take the plunge.
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible