Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pyrenean Road Trip 6th-15th September 2022

Post details of upcoming meets and events in here.
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:20 pm

9973064-roads-in-central-pyrenees-mountains-close-to-col-du-tourmalet-2115m-this-is-the-highest-road-in-this.jpg
9973064-roads-in-central-pyrenees-mountains-close-to-col-du-tourmalet-2115m-this-is-the-highest-road-in-this.jpg (230.59 KiB) Viewed 1851 times

Something I've not done in any of my Z4s is a European road trip.

Whereas I've been many times over many years all over Western Europe by bike and Eastern Europe by Lada!

So this is a bucket list indulgent trip in Zeds.

The plan is to rendezvous at Ashford earrly afternoon and take the Chunnel and then arrive for a first night not far int France.

Next day is an autoroute blast to La Rochelle.

Then one or two days down to Biarittz or San Sebastian taking N and D roads following the Cote Sauvage (Atlantic Coast)

From there a two or three day trip across the Pyrenees, zig-zag-ing across the many mountain passes across the French-Spanish Border though Andorra down to Perpignan.

From there a combination of N and D roads through the Masif Central, then the last part autoroute back up to the Chunnel..

Its a 2,000 mile plus trip from Ashford and at least 40 hours of driving..so its a mixture of driving, eating, driving and eating and drinking..

Hopefully the sights and locations will make up for it.

The weather in France at that time of year south of a line across La Rochelle is usually very benign still.

The logistics have been yet to be decided on in terms of hotel standards etc but I'm starting out at an average of £100 a night with some cheaper Campanile class hotels and hopefully a couple of Parador type ones thrown in.

We've set up a WhatsApp group for anyone interested to join in and help formulate the trip..it should be a blast!

Restricted to 6 cars for logistics reasons.
Attachments
14287415-mountain-road-in-french-pyrenees.jpg
14287415-mountain-road-in-french-pyrenees.jpg (275.86 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
Andorra.jpg
Andorra.jpg (156.91 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
Last edited by B21 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:26 pm

Confirmed

B21 Yellow E89 Peter
Earthdweller Silver E85 Andy O
Argyll Andy Blue G29 Andy McD

Interested
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:00 pm

So this trip has now been designed and crossings and hotels booked. :thumbsup:

If you are interested in joining for the whole or part of the trip best PM me for a copy of the detailed excel routing / hotel /crossing detail :driving:
Attachments
outline of trip.jpg
outline of trip.jpg (112.1 KiB) Viewed 1782 times

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:39 pm

Really looking forward to this already and seeing lots of new places :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by B21 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:28 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:39 pm Really looking forward to this already and seeing lots of new places :thumbsup:
    Should be fabulous… :driving: especially since you are travelling’Kathleen’ class and the rest of us are slumming it….no hot tub spa in our rooms :tumbleweed: :thumbsup: :rofl:

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:07 pm

B21 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:28 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:39 pm Really looking forward to this already and seeing lots of new places :thumbsup:
    Should be fabulous… :driving: especially since you are travelling’Kathleen’ class and the rest of us are slumming it….no hot tub spa in our rooms :tumbleweed: :thumbsup: :rofl:
    ‘Kathleen class” means I’ve got a happy passenger for over 5k miles so I’ll take that all day long :D

Plenty of hot tubs and spa baths in ours but I’ll not bloody use them :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:23 pm

I'll be planning a road trip for me and my son in the E85, and my touring buddy in his Jaguar XJR - and hoping to team up with another friend of mine in the south of France in his DB7 - either in June or possibly in September (all Covid dependent of course).

I've driven in the Pyrenees several times in my previous European Cobra Club tours, and there are some truly fantastic roads. My favourite is the C-28 between Sort and Vielha. Here's a YouTube video. A local motorcycle tour outfit refers to this as the "Scalextric Track" - I wonder why? :wink:
      Scalextric Track.jpg
      Scalextric Track.jpg (104.52 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
      I may well have an onboard GoPro video from my previous Cobra replica somewhere - if so I'll dig it out and upload it.

Anyway, it looks as though your overall route might be passing that vicinity - if so, you won't regret including it. I'd rate it as good as the Grossglockner pass in the Austrian Alps, only this one has no toll charges! :)
      Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

B21
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by B21 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:02 pm

Conrod wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:23 pm I'll be planning a road trip for me and my son in the E85, and my touring buddy in his Jaguar XJR - and hoping to team up with another friend of mine in the south of France in his DB7 - either in June or possibly in September (all Covid dependent of course).

I've driven in the Pyrenees several times in my previous European Cobra Club tours, and there are some truly fantastic roads. My favourite is the C-28 between Sort and Vielha. Here's a YouTube video. A local motorcycle tour outfit refers to this as the "Scalextric Track" - I wonder why? :wink:

Scalextric Track.jpg

I may well have an onboard GoPro video from my previous Cobra replica somewhere - if so I'll dig it out and upload it.

Anyway, it looks as though your overall route might be passing that vicinity - if so, you won't regret including it. I'd rate it as good as the Grossglockner pass in the Austrian Alps, only this one has no toll charges! :)
      Thanks for the info…any recommendations on passes most welcome… :thumbsup:

I’ve done France into Andorra a few times, but the Spanish side is a mystery to me. :tumbleweed:

We’ve cut ourselves quite a bit of slack for pass hopping and driving up mountain dead end roads so any personal experiences especially more recently would help us pas the time :driving:

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:37 pm

Conrod wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:23 pm I'll be planning a road trip for me and my son in the E85, and my touring buddy in his Jaguar XJR - and hoping to team up with another friend of mine in the south of France in his DB7 - either in June or possibly in September (all Covid dependent of course).

Scalextric Track.jpg

That does indeed look pretty epic

:thumbup:
      07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:38 pm

earthdweller wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:37 pm

Scalextric Track.jpg

That does indeed look pretty epic

: :thumbsup: :driving:
      07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:51 pm

Only 310 sleeps

:rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup: :driving:

Conrod

Post by Conrod » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:01 pm

I've just started planning the daily routes for my Pyrenees tour in July. I've made a "helicopter cam" simulation of one of them:

Pyrenees Tour 1

It includes the C-28 "Scalextric Track" section I mentioned in a previous post - it's from 0:45 and 1:00 in the video.

It's almost as good as driving it - enjoy! :)
      Alan

2003 E85 Sterling Grey 3.0i

Lance

Post by Lance » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:17 am

Scalextric Track.jpg

Sort to La Seu d’Urgell over the N260 is very good. Done it many times by motorbike.

B21
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:57 pm

Conrod wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:01 pm I've just started planning the daily routes for my Pyrenees tour in July. I've made a "helicopter cam" simulation of one of them:

Pyrenees Tour 1

It includes the C-28 "Scalextric Track" section I mentioned in a previous post - it's from 0:45 and 1:00 in the video.

It's almost as good as driving it - enjoy! :)
      Fabulous, I was exhausted just watching it!

B21
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by B21 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:59 pm

Lance wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:17 am

Scalextric Track.jpg

Sort to La Seu d’Urgell over the N260 is very good. Done it many times by motorbike.
      We'll add it to the to-do list..fortunately we've cut ourselves (I think) a fair amount of slack to do a few of the cols etc :driving: :thumbsup: