Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A different roof problem

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

A different roof problem

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:44 am

Hi all,

On Rob's advice I have purchased what I hope is the correct Terminal 30 Relay.
I'll swap this out first and see if it fixes it. Being an intermittent issue I may have to wait a while.
Currently convinced it's not a wiring issue as the correlation between engine running/not running is exactly the same every time.

Big question.
Anyone know exactly where this relay is fitted?

Number5, the fact you're very quiet is worrying me. :wink:

EDIT:
If it helps anyone to help me, I should also say that when the roof won't work with the engine running I turn it off and it works.
Thereafter it will work fine with the engine running. Almost like a contact is sticking.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

A different roof problem

Post by Number5 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:50 pm

Yes. I’m quiet as Rob has confused me with his E89 relay board, or maybe I’m reading the situation wrong

Generally I’d first swap out the roof ECU (c£40 on eBay if you can’t borrow one off someone local to try first) as that is a simple task to swap and requires no programming.

Secondly, I’d suspect the sensor loom could be giving you an intermittent fault.

Thirdly, as it’s the most complicated swap, is to look at the GM5 unit. Maybe it’s a signal issue, either speed or voltage related.

However, it’s not a fault I’ve come across myself.

When it refuses to move/work, do you get any LEDs on the roof switches ?
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

A different roof problem

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:41 pm

Number5 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:50 pm Yes. I’m quiet as Rob has confused me with his E89 relay board, or maybe I’m reading the situation wrong

Generally I’d first swap out the roof ECU (c£40 on eBay if you can’t borrow one off someone local to try first) as that is a simple task to swap and requires no programming.

Secondly, I’d suspect the sensor loom could be giving you an intermittent fault.

Thirdly, as it’s the most complicated swap, is to look at the GM5 unit. Maybe it’s a signal issue, either speed or voltage related.

Cheers Alan,
The relay may have been a red herring it seems? I'll have a good search at the weekend.
Then it'll be ECU.
Sensor loom? Can't rule it out, but this issue of it only failing wit the engine running, then working fine as soon as you turn it off doesn't seem to tally with that?
When it won't work I get nothing, like I'm pressing a button not connected to anything?
I too am at a loss so far.
If I can't locate the relay I'll send Rob the bill and look for an ecu. :roll:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

A different roof problem

Post by Smartbear » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:30 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:41 pm
Number5 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:50 pm Yes. I’m quiet as Rob has confused me with his E89 relay board, or maybe I’m reading the situation wrong

Cheers Alan,
The relay may have been a red herring it seems? I'll have a good search at the weekend.
Then it'll be ECU.
Sensor loom? Can't rule it out, but this issue of it only failing wit the engine running, then working fine as soon as you turn it off doesn't seem to tally with that?
When it won't work I get nothing, like I'm pressing a button not connected to anything?
No guarantees with Smartbear diagnostic advice but your issue does sound different from most e85 roof faults & i know this relay could potentially be the cause, pics were of my car but the e85 uses similar technology so worth trying as they’re not that expensive.
If it doesn’t work send it to my receptionist @ Smartbear Towers :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

A different roof problem

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:00 am

Smartbear wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:30 pm

Cheers Alan,
Then it'll be ECU.
No guarantees with Smartbear diagnostic advice but your issue does sound different from most e85 roof faults & i know this relay could potentially be the cause, pics were of my car but the e85 uses similar technology so worth trying as they’re not that expensive.
Rob
Hi Rob,
The issue is I can't find it!
According to realoem there are two lilac roof relays behind the glove box.
The only other possible option I can see is the blue DME relay in the engine bay, but I'm loath to mess with that on a whim.
Roof Relay 1.PNG
Roof Relay 1.PNG (177.3 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Roof Relay 2.PNG
Roof Relay 2.PNG (177.83 KiB) Viewed 284 times
DME Relay.PNG
DME Relay.PNG (222.85 KiB) Viewed 284 times

Umfaan

A different roof problem

Post by Umfaan » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:19 am

Martin …you need these 😳
960EDB94-C097-486C-B353-D9685428CDF8.jpeg
960EDB94-C097-486C-B353-D9685428CDF8.jpeg (83.82 KiB) Viewed 277 times

Umfaan

A different roof problem

Post by Umfaan » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:20 am

Will post today 👍

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

A different roof problem

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:21 am

Umfaan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:20 am Will post today 👍
Barry, you are a star!
Let me know how much and I'll fire it over now.
Hopefully you still have my address?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

A different roof problem

Post by bigwinn » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:24 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:00 am
Cheers Alan,
Then it'll be ECU.
Rob
Hi Rob,
The only other possible option I can see is the blue DME relay in the engine bay, but I'm loath to mess with that on a whim.
Roof Relay 1.PNG
Roof Relay 2.PNG
DME Relay.PNG
V difficult to find you need to be head down in the footwell, looking behind the fuse box up toward the gm5 module

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

A different roof problem

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:28 am

bigwinn wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:24 am
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:00 am

Rob
Hi Rob,
Roof Relay 1.PNG
Roof Relay 2.PNG
DME Relay.PNG
V difficult to find you need to be head down in the footwell, looking behind the fuse box up toward the gm5 module
Yes Stuart, I know the roof relays are there, and Barry can get me those to swap out.
It's the actual existence of the mythical Terminal 30 relay I'm doubting a little now?
No sign of it on realoem that I can find?
(Bearing in mind I'm engines and airframes, not electrickery)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

A different roof problem

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:15 pm

Number5, there are several different part numbers for the roof module.
Realoem does say they are all compatible, but I thought I'd just check with you first.
Plan is to swap the two relays and the module at the same time. No messing about, as it's an intermittent fault, and if I'm having to wait ages to confirm it, I don't want to do that three times over.
To confirm, the car is an 04-plate 2.2i.
Cheers.

Umfaan

A different roof problem

Post by Umfaan » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:32 pm

Hi Martin …Relays posted 1st Class this morning

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

A different roof problem

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:39 pm

Umfaan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:32 pm Hi Martin …Relays posted 1st Class this morning
Cheers Barry. Paypal actioned. Let me if there's not enough. :thumbsup:

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

A different roof problem

Post by Number5 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:50 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:15 pm Number5, there are several different part numbers for the roof module.
Realoem does say they are all compatible, but I thought I'd just check with you first.
Plan is to swap the two relays and the module at the same time. No messing about, as it's an intermittent fault, and if I'm having to wait ages to confirm it, I don't want to do that three times over.
Cheers.
I understand from a time saving point of view, but I’d only want to make one change at a time and identify the faulty part.

If you PM me your address I’ll post you a roof module to try. If it solves it we’ll sort something out, if not, just post it back to me.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

A different roof problem

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:52 pm

Number5 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:50 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:15 pm Number5, there are several different part numbers for the roof module.
Cheers.
I understand from a time saving point of view, but I’d only want to make one change at a time and identify the faulty part.

If you PM me your address I’ll post you a roof module to try. If it solves it we’ll sort something out, if not, just post it back to me.
Aye, been thinking more on that and you're probably right.
That's a kind offer Alan, thank you. (Gotta love this forum)
PM inbound. :thumbsup: