Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Conservatory roof

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Conservatory roof

Post by ronk » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:08 pm

I‘m about to replace the conservatory roof with a more thermally efficient job replacing the translucent plastic roof so I can use it more often ( in the colder days)

Do I Go for a wooden structure or an Aluminium sectioned construction?
The sellers of each type say theirs is best - I suppose they would !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Conservatory roof

Post by Smartbear » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:12 pm

Which one would look best with the style of your house?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Conservatory roof

Post by Chris_D » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:20 pm

You may encounter thermal losses via other routes even if you replace the roof panels.
Get a survey done by the company proposing the supply. Or invest in a thermal imaging camera to observe where the losses occur in different conditions.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Conservatory roof

Post by ronk » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:21 pm

The outside appearances look the same when the new thermo efficient roof is is on. It’s the support structure choice,
A fella came out the other day to quote - his was wooden beamed construction - he said that wood was best, but I suppose he would. A chap nearby has a replacement and his is has aluminium beams and their appears to be no difference.

Apparently both systems meet building regs.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Conservatory roof

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:27 pm

I don't think the structure is the main issue with heat loss - it's more about the panels.

But I'd give wood a miss as it needs maintenance if it isn't going to rot. If you can live with the aesthetics I'd go for PVC!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Conservatory roof

Post by ronk » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:31 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:20 pm You may encounter thermal losses via other routes even if you replace the roof panels.
Get a survey done by the company proposing the supply. Or invest in a thermal imaging camera to observe where the losses occur in different conditions.
It’s more than a simple panel replacement - they remove the entire roof structure and replace that structure filled with big fat insulated panels - the outer is covered with lightweight tiles.

The structure is my dilemma . The woodman says his is the best, the aluminium man say his is the best.

Big Bad Boris

Conservatory roof

Post by Big Bad Boris » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:24 am

Given the aluminium structure would be lightweight, strong and largely maintenance free. What were the selling points of the wooden version that made it better, according to the seller?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Conservatory roof

Post by ronk » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:40 am

Big Bad Boris wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:24 am Given the aluminium structure would be lightweight, strong and largely maintenance free. What were the selling points of the wooden version that made it better, according to the seller?
He banged on about condensation - but the existing structure is aluminium and it hasn’t been a problem!

Both support structures would me maintenance free as neither would be accessible once roofed and internally plastered.

Stevo1987

Conservatory roof

Post by Stevo1987 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:22 am

ronk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:40 am
Big Bad Boris wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:24 am Given the aluminium structure would be lightweight, strong and largely maintenance free. What were the selling points of the wooden version that made it better, according to the seller?

He banged on about condensation - but the existing structure is aluminium and it hasn’t been a problem!

Both support structures would me maintenance free as neither would be accessible once roofed and internally plastered.
I would be interested to know how much the quotes are for.
There is plenty of wood in roof of my house and it doesn't require any maintenance. :)
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Conservatory roof

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:37 am

we went for Aluminium, company we went with do both and for a very similar price and they recommended aluminium as the better choice
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Conservatory roof

Post by ronk » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:58 am

mr.tourette wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:37 am we went for Aluminium, company we went with do both and for a very similar price and they recommended aluminium as the better choice
That’s good to hear !
Did they say why aluminium was better?

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Conservatory roof

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:21 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:58 am
mr.tourette wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:37 am we went for Aluminium, company we went with do both and for a very similar price and they recommended aluminium as the better choice
That’s good to hear !
Did they say why aluminium was better?
If I remember correctly, mostly because its lighter and stronger and easier to install, even though similarly priced it was ever so slightly cheaper (we are only talking about 40 or 50 quid as I recall but better in my pocket than someone else's)
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Conservatory roof

Post by Zedebee » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:27 pm

Structural wood is unlikely to need any maintenance unless it’s exposed to the elements. Wood has a much lower environmental impact if that is a consideration for you.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Conservatory roof

Post by ronk » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:29 pm

The additional weight of a timber roof construction does concern me. The existing conservatory verticals weren’t considered for the loads of a heavier roof.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Conservatory roof

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:21 pm

ronk wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:29 pm The additional weight of a timber roof construction does concern me. The existing conservatory verticals weren’t considered for the loads of a heavier roof.
Aluminium sounds the best bet of the two, purely from an additional weight POV. Unless both parties are providing structural loading calculations imposed on the existing walls (panels) from their respective systems.
Whichever you decide to go with, I would also ask for a written guarantee to cover any future damage to the existing structure from the new roof system.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!