Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headlight condensation

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jasonn

Headlight condensation

Post by Jasonn » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:49 pm

Good afternoon all - I'm just trying to get a bit of an opinion here before I start panicking.

I've got my MOT coming up and before I book it in I give it a quick walk around check and noticed that the condensation in the headlight hadn't cleared up.

I've had a mooch around underneath and it looks like the access panel wasn't sitting flat, from memory the brake sensor is on the passenger side as well - I had to get the sensor replaced again after the pads where changed and when the indy took the wheel off the cable had snapped, which my indy thought was where I might have driven over a stick or something which snagged it (it's my daily driver and my job now means that I'm going down farm lanes (although I now park up and walk if I can - tractors seem to want to play "chicken" too often with the zed). I'm wondering if the stick or whatever was responsible, anyway as of today it's now flat.

I've attached a pic of the condensation, I don't think it'll result in a fail, but I'd like to get it sorted - is it likely to dry out on its own, or should I remove the indicator bulb and try using a hairdryer?Image
Attachments
20211016_150935.jpg
20211016_150935.jpg (130.24 KiB) Viewed 345 times

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight condensation

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:39 pm

be very careful with a hairdryer, we've seen several melted lights down the years.. personally Id stick to popping a silica gel bag in there for a while if you can
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Jasonn

Headlight condensation

Post by Jasonn » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:28 pm

I was a, bit worried about a hairdryer tbh. How do i get a gel bag in there though? The only way i can think of is to take out the indicator bulb and hang it on a bit of wire overnight.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Headlight condensation

Post by flybobbie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:17 pm

Perhaps something like this in the indicator socket.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18mm-SILICA- ... 8oQAvD_BwE

Seen them attached to new aero engine spark plug holes, to stop corrosion. Don't know UK supplier.
Perhaps local airfield maintenance unit might have or know where to get.

Or go to The Range shop or ebay, get silica gel in tubs (i used in caravan) and make tube to fit the signal bulb holder.

Jasonn

Headlight condensation

Post by Jasonn » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:21 pm

I picked up a load of small silica gel sachets, my plan was to get the bulb out put one or two bags into a thin sock and pack it into the bulb hole - my thoughts were that the sock would make it easier to get the sachets out afterwards.

Got the access lanel off and noted that one of the rotating thingies that holds it in was broken so thats another thing to sort out.

Got to the bulb holder but it seems jammed (turns about an eighth of the way anticlockwise) - is this normal? I dont want to really force it then find out i should have been turning it clockwise).

mcbutler

Headlight condensation

Post by mcbutler » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:43 pm

just go to a garage they will blow dried air from their LP compressor through it and dry it out in a few minutes
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather