Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Michelin summer tyres

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:00 pm

So, unusally for me, I haven't trawled the internet to find the answers..

In the context of a 400bhp 35is with a Quaife LSD and 19 inch rims, probably 235/35 19 and 275/30 19..

For summer (in Scotland) use how do you split out the differences betweem the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Pilot Sport 4 and Pilot Sport 4 S?

Its not track use, just some hooning and a lot of quality mid speed driving over the UK's finest roads (but not necessarily that smooth and at times 'moist')
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:15 pm

The super sport is an old tyre now, not sure they even sell it.

The comparison has been done quite well by tyrereviews on youube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMv64liOqIE&t

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:42 pm

In a nutshell, the Pilot 4S replaced the Supersport, though you can still buy the OEM variant of the Supersport, the Pilot Sport 4 has a slightly better ride comfort and noise than the 4S which I had on the SL400 and was very impressed with excellent grip, comfort and noise. From the research I did at the time, consensus was that the 4 was a better road tyre and the 4S was better if you were occasional tracking, though this was definitely not me I got a good deal on the 4S so went that way
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:17 pm

Thanks ...looking at availablity in 275/30 19 with my favourite manufacturers looks like its

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S

Conti Sports Contact 6 (forgetting the Sports Contact 2)

Goodyear F1 Asym or Goodyear F1 Asym 2 (whatever the differences are?)

Those 275 wide tyres limit choice compared to say 255s..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:42 pm

I've now done 5k miles with PS4S, 365/30 and 235/35. The grip is very impressive even in the wet and briefly in a bit of snowfall - I've never for a second felt like they were too track or summer focused. Probably stating the obvious, but compared to my previous e89 on Bridgestone RFs, the grip is shockingly good.

Worth noting that they have now done in total approx 7k miles, and the tread is at 6.4mm front and 5.4mm rear. Rears are therefore about halfway through their useful life.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:01 pm

I’ve only had the PS4S. The roads here are mostly twisties and hills, with chances of mountains. It hasn’t rained in months. I’m very happy with the PS4S. But you must camber the fronts, which I understand you cannot with stock parts, otherwise expect understeering.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:21 pm

Peter, I posted in another thread earlier today about something very similar to your question. As you’ve witnessed the grip on current tyres is great but wear not so great. I think I’ll replace with MPS4S’s :thumbsup:

Zed Baron wrote: ↑Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:48 am
Just out of interest are the G29's fitted with runflats?

No, they’re not, normal Michelin pilot SuperSports iirc :thumbsup:

Thanks Andy, thats interesting that BMW have steered away from them this time. I read that the M40i hadn't got them but wasn't sure about the rest of the range.

Rick, they all came with non run flats, a compressor and gunk kit. Sars asked about the tyres in another post and was surprised that they were Pilot SuperSports when they’d been superseded by MPS4S’s. When I need to replace I’m not sure which ones I will replace with. Pros and cons, PSP’s grip like mad in the dry, not so grippy in the wet/cold wear quite quickly :oops: PS4S’s not quite so grippy/sticky in the dry (but still good) but slightly better in the wet/cold and didn’t have them on long enough to assess wear as I sold the car not long after. All IMO of course :thumbsup:

EDIT, Will has made comment above about the wear of the 4S’s I fitted. They’re probably wearing at about half the rate of mine :oops:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:05 pm

Andy noted…

I’ve pulled the trigger on some 437Ms in satin black… :thumbsup:

Given I’ve got around 4-5mm on the `Goodyear’s then I’ve got a bit of time to choose from anyone of 3 options… :tumbleweed:

I may have to succumb to internet popularity and try the Michelin P4S…. :driving:

304frp

Post by 304frp » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:16 pm

Can vouch for conti 6,I’ve pushed mine in the wet and they GRIPPED like crazy ( chilli compound) my nerve went before the tires, blew me away really how good they are. I use conti black chilli compound tires on road and Mtb push irons, and they are about the best in many and also my opinion.
    The conti 6 impressed me no end
    :!: :driving: :!:
    F31 330d Daily
    E89 35i weekend
    Evoque gone
    Aston vantage v8, missed
    Porsche Boxster s,gone

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:48 pm

I'm with you Pete on this one (I know, right?!), there are too many bloody choices and apart from the cost, in real world conditions, what are the differences? I used to buy Avons for my sporty cars in the 80s as they were a really soft compound so heated up quick, but lasted about 50 yards.
    PS4Ss are brilliant tyres (in the dry at good temps). But historically, I've been a fan of Goodyears. Kumho make some good tyres, as do Hankook, as do Pirelli, as do Dunlop, as do pretty much everyone else. Minefield.
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:23 pm

304frp wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:16 pm Can vouch for conti 6,I’ve pushed mine in the wet and they GRIPPED like crazy ( chilli compound) my nerve went before the tires, blew me away really how good they are. I use conti black chilli compound tires on road and Mtb push irons, and they are about the best in many and also my opinion.
    The conti 6 impressed me no end
    I’m a long Conti fan…my only concern with the Sports Contact 6 is it doesn’t seem to have been updated for over 5 years… :thumbsup:

Not seen a recent shoot out between the P4S and Sports Contact 6….especially on a chassis like the E89 :tumbleweed:

For sure they will all exceed my capabilities 🙈

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:29 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:48 pm I'm with you Pete on this one (I know, right?!), there are too many bloody choices and apart from the cost, in real world conditions, what are the differences? I used to buy Avons for my sporty cars in the 80s as they were a really soft compound so heated up quick, but lasted about 50 yards.
    PS4Ss are brilliant tyres (in the dry at good temps). But historically, I've been a fan of Goodyears. Kumho make some good tyres, as do Hankook, as do Pirelli, as do Dunlop, as do pretty much everyone else. Minefield.
    I think an issue many pass by is the chassis and it’s marriage to the tyres….

Lots of reviews are based on pokey Golfs and front wheel drive Fords..

I like to see reviews based on similar platforms to the E89…

We all have our favourites…can’t quite bring myself to use the ‘foreign’ brands..I know the tyres are made everywhere…

Because there is so much choice I just focus on Conti, Goodyear, Dunlop and if I must Michelin… :tumbleweed:

Anyway plenty of tme yet and maybe a good deal … :thumbsup:

304frp

Post by 304frp » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:02 pm

F31 330d Daily
    E89 35i weekend
    Evoque gone
    Aston vantage v8, missed
    Porsche Boxster s,gone

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:14 pm

304frp wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:02 pm More food for thought -
    https://www.continental.com/en/press/pr ... contact-7/

Ooohhhh..nice :driving: :driving: :driving: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

May have to return to the shrine :thumbsup:

304frp

Post by 304frp » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:00 am

My 6s have the black chilli compound, and I kid you not, have exceeded my expectations!!. 7s are my next tires for sure .
    F31 330d Daily
    E89 35i weekend
    Evoque gone
    Aston vantage v8, missed
    Porsche Boxster s,gone