Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 Michelin summer tyres

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:11 am

I wonder if tyres are built for reviewers (in this internet age). Do any reviewers look at tyres that have 10k miles on them.
I suspect the first 3mm or so of tread does the useful stuff but under that it's the harder support compound that gives longer life but poorer driveability or noise. My cars is starting to feel like it's on rft.

I'm just about to replace all 4 with Goodyear Asy. 5.
I liked the 2's, but had to fit 3's to rear which became quite noisy with wear, never noticed with 2's.
I hope the 5's haven't got less soft rubber that wears off quick to give a longer life hard tyre. Just living off it's previous hype.

If a tyre is good and popular why keep changing it.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:12 am

flybobbie wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:11 am I wonder if tyres are built for reviewers (in this internet age). Do any reviewers look at tyres that have 10k miles on them.
I suspect the first 3mm or so of tread does the useful stuff but under that it's the harder support compound that gives longer life but poorer driveability or noise. My cars is starting to feel like it's on rft.

I'm just about to replace all 4 with Goodyear Asy. 5.
I liked the 2's, but had to fit 3's to rear which became quite noisy with wear, never noticed with 2's.
I hope the 5's haven't got less soft rubber that wears off quick to give a longer life hard tyre. Just living off it's previous hype.

If a tyre is good and popular why keep changing it.
Couple of points if I may…

I found on the Asym 5 the first couple of hundred miles ‘disappointing’…after that they seem to bed in and I would say they are on a par with the Conti Sport 5, maybe not quite as confident in very wet conditions but good still..

That very same internet / normal publications are quick to poo poo poor performance tyres..many people buy the top one not the second one.. :tumbleweed:

So technological innovation aided by marketing is king.. :thumbsup:

You’ve been spoilt running a plane with an 80 year old engine… :rofl:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:26 am

I wonder if way down a list like Toyo would be a better tyre for everyday use, had them on RX7 and MGTF and never thought twice about them in use regards say steering feel..

(80 year old design engine got me home a few times!)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:54 am

flybobbie wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:26 am I wonder if way down a list like Toyo would be a better tyre for everyday use, had them on RX7 and MGTF and never thought twice about them in use regards say steering feel..

I’m sure for most people most of the time the Toyo would be fine…just not my bag..each to their own…

Sometimes flying with one engine only over water it’s good to have a fully debugged design.. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:57 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:26 am I wonder if way down a list like Toyo would be a better tyre for everyday use, had them on RX7 and MGTF and never thought twice about them in use regards say steering feel..

I've had Toyo's a few times on an MR2 Roadster and they were very good. That's a car that relies 100% on decent tyres so there's nowhere to hide, but of course there is very little power to trouble grip. I've had great experiences with Yokohama's too and they rarely seem to get mentioned.

Tyres like Michelin PS4S are "ultra high performance" (or is it "ultra ultra"?), which is a category that no Z4 really falls into. You don't need them on a 35is let alone a 23i but, if it's worth overdoing it on any one part of a car, it would be tyres.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:22 pm

I always stick with the best Michelins that I can get.

The PS4S finish top or in the top 3 at least for all categories in wet/dry braking. I'm on my second set now and will keep with them until something better comes along. I'm sure Continental offer something with similar performance but I wouldn't take the risk unless they are significantly better.

I went for the PS4 on my 335i because they don't offer the PS4S in 17". They are very similar just not as grippy which is a bit annoying since they are only £20 each cheaper than the PS4S on my Z4.

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:17 am

tiglon wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:57 pm"ultra high performance" (or is it "ultra ultra"?), which is a category that no Z4 really falls into.
Speak fer yerself. :)
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:49 am

I remember now, Yokohama on the RX7, think they were highly recommended, 25 years ago!