Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Did E85s sell really well in the Netherlands?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Petahgreen

Post by Petahgreen » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:10 am

Just wondered if there’s any data to back up a hypothesis I’ve noticed!

Just in Netherlands visiting family (zedless) just south of Amsterdam and whilst I’ve been out and about, I’ve seen more E85’s in 3 days than I’ve seen in over the last 6 months in the UK!(London and South East area)

I know there’s a few forum members on here from NL, but it’s just been really noticeable! Anyone know if I’ve just been lucky to spot them?!

RvsBmw

Post by RvsBmw » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:35 am

Petahgreen wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:10 am Just wondered if there’s any data to back up a hypothesis I’ve noticed!

Just in Netherlands visiting family (zedless) just south of Amsterdam and whilst I’ve been out and about, I’ve seen more E85’s in 3 days than I’ve seen in over the last 6 months in the UK!(London and South East area)

I know there’s a few forum members on here from NL, but it’s just been really noticeable! Anyone know if I’ve just been lucky to spot them?!
Your lucky than ;).
Not that many around, more common to see z3's (carbrio's ofc).
BMW Z4M Coupe '08 | Sapphire Black | Bicolour Silverstone Anthrazit | OEM CSL's | Aero's

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:05 am

I’m in NL and see them now and again but they’re pretty rare imo.
Other zed drivers rarely let on so I don’t bother anymore. My good ladyfriend Laura used to scoff at me raising my hand if we ever passed another zed and just to take the p!ss to an even higher level and if I had the top down she used to sarcastically wave both her arms around in the air like a crazywoman if we passed another one. :x :roll: :lol:

I think they’re considered less of an enthusiasts car here than they are in the UK and there’s actually quite a snobbish attitude towards people driving ‘oude izer’ old iron and that also applies to the E85 in my perception, although I do get the occasional lingering glance from some. But maybe that’s something more to do with driving an RHD car, or my big nose. :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Barty

Post by Barty » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:43 pm

Chris_D wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:05 am I’m in NL and see them now and again but they’re pretty rare imo.
Other zed drivers rarely let on so I don’t bother anymore. My good ladyfriend Laura used to scoff at me raising my hand if we ever passed another zed and just to take the p!ss to an even higher level and if I had the top down she used to sarcastically wave both her arms around in the air like a crazywoman if we passed another one. :x :roll: :lol:

I think they’re considered less of an enthusiasts car here than they are in the UK and there’s actually quite a snobbish attitude towards people driving ‘oude izer’ old iron and that also applies to the E85 in my perception, although I do get the occasional lingering glance from some. But maybe that’s something more to do with driving an RHD car, or my big nose. :lol:
As a Dutchy I take offence at your brazen assumptions of our snobbishness when it comes to driving old cars- even though they’re frighteningly accurate :rofl:

In all seriousness though, Dutch culture often shies away from anything that’s considered flashy (particularly cars), labelling people as posers or snobs if one does drive a nice car. An exception can be made for the larger cities, where flash cars are a status symbol rather than something to be enjoyed as a petrolhead. Mind you, most of the -often young- lads consider Golfs and Merc A-classes as flashy. The E85 is a bit of an unknown (the E86 even more so), with people often unable to tell its age and value.

Furthermore, petrolheads are increasingly seen as backward dinosaurs of an age best left behind. The Dutch are pushing towards electrification at an alarming rate which, given the relatively small distances covered within the country, isn’t a huge challenge for many. This also explains the somewhat disapproving looks one may get when driving a slightly loud 3 litre sportscar.

As for me: I do encounter the odd E85, particularly in and around major cities. Most of them aren’t exactly well-loved judging by the state they’re in. The E86? Yet to spot another! They really are rare here, with usually no more than 3-6 for sale nation-wide.

Chris: don’t know whereabouts you are in the Netherlands but if you do ever see a green coupe, please make sure Laura does her mental handwave-thing so I’ll be able to recognise you :rofl:
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:16 pm

Barty wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:43 pm
Chris_D wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:05 am I’m in NL and see them now and again but they’re pretty rare imo.

As a Dutchy I take offence at your brazen assumptions of our snobbishness when it comes to driving old cars- even though they’re frighteningly accurate :rofl:

In all seriousness though, Dutch culture often shies away from anything that’s considered flashy (particularly cars), labelling people as posers or snobs if one does drive a nice car. An exception can be made for the larger cities, where flash cars are a status symbol rather than something to be enjoyed as a petrolhead. Mind you, most of the -often young- lads consider Golfs and Merc A-classes as flashy. The E85 is a bit of an unknown (the E86 even more so), with people often unable to tell its age and value.

Furthermore, petrolheads are increasingly seen as backward dinosaurs of an age best left behind. The Dutch are pushing towards electrification at an alarming rate which, given the relatively small distances covered within the country, isn’t a huge challenge for many. This also explains the somewhat disapproving looks one may get when driving a slightly loud 3 litre sportscar.

As for me: I do encounter the odd E85, particularly in and around major cities. Most of them aren’t exactly well-loved judging by the state they’re in. The E86? Yet to spot another! They really are rare here, with usually no more than 3-6 for sale nation-wide.

Chris: don’t know whereabouts you are in the Netherlands but if you do ever see a green coupe, please make sure Laura does her mental handwave-thing so I’ll be able to recognise you :rofl:
Hah zeker! Will do.
It's something she LOVES doing at any given opportunity predominantly becasue she thinks it winds me up so much.
But secretly I find it just as hilarious as her.
8) :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Barty

Post by Barty » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:07 pm

Chris_D wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:16 pm Hah zeker! Will do.
It's something she LOVES doing at any given opportunity predominantly becasue she thinks it winds me up so much.
But secretly I find it just as hilarious as her.
8) :lol:
It’s one of those things that we’ll never admit to as men (because we’re “cooler” than that) but secretly enjoy just as much :lol: What part of the Netherlands are you based? I’m in the Amersfoort/Utrecht area myself, with frequent visits to the east (Arnhem/Nijmegen) as well

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:37 pm

I was there a few weeks ago, and noticed that even though the speed limit was reduced during the day to 100, I was very happily cruising with everyone else at 140. Didn't see another X5M either whilst there and I bruised a few traffic lights egos with that :evil:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Barty

Post by Barty » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:24 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:37 pm I was there a few weeks ago, and noticed that even though the speed limit was reduced during the day to 100, I was very happily cruising with everyone else at 140. Didn't see another X5M either whilst there and I bruised a few traffic lights egos with that :evil:
That speedlimit was -and is- a farce. They reduced it nation-wide from 130 to 100 as a way to reduce certain emissions. Entirely omitting the fact that such a reduction is only a fraction of what could be achieved in other areas, particularly agriculture and large (often industrial) businesses.

There’s a silent agreement to drive around 120-130(ish) during the day outside the main city-bound motorways. As long as you don’t push your luck, you’ll be fine 8)

Petahgreen

Post by Petahgreen » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:10 pm

That’s useful to know. It did seem farcical when I was driving around and suddenly opened the taps (limited taps on the X3 2litre I’ve got on hire!) as the clock ticked over to 1900!

Saw a further couple of zed’s in Groningen today- I must be a magnet!, including a E86 on 107 wheels and a facelift E85 on style 152 wheels which I’ve never seen before!

Barty

Post by Barty » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:21 pm

Petahgreen wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:10 pm That’s useful to know. It did seem farcical when I was driving around and suddenly opened the taps (limited taps on the X3 2litre I’ve got on hire!) as the clock ticked over to 1900!

Saw a further couple of zed’s in Groningen today- I must be a magnet!, including a E86 on 107 wheels and a facelift E85 on style 152 wheels which I’ve never seen before!
Yeah the fun thing is to see everyone speed up at 19:00, although those “in the know” will actually speed up at 18:55. Why? The cameras and average speed cameras are set up for a 5-minute switch-over window. During that time they enforce the higher limit to compensate for anyone entering in the old timewindow and exiting after 19:00.

Another tip when driving in the Netherlands, Germany and a load of other European nations: Flitsmeister app on your phone. It alerts you for traffic incidents, jams, emergency services approaching, but also average speed cameras and mobile units. Entirely legal in the Netherlands, and automatically shuts down in countries where it’s not allowed. Free app to use, and saved me a fair few tickets over the years :oops:

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:21 am

I love driving around the south of Holland and the Düsseldorf part of Germany, which I do quite often (of course I am talking pre COVID), but have yet to spot another zed four in the last 4 years or so, not that anyone would notice as I’d be driving one of them crap 3 cylinder jobbies from the ol rental Corp. esp in summer, the drive is awesome.. the cost of fuel not so much so, I know a few of the Dutch/German zedders, hopefully will get to meet in person one day over a bbq. :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3