Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Whistling Noise

tiglon

Whistling Noise

Post by tiglon » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:35 pm

Thought I'd share this in case it helps someone.

Last week I started to notice a whistling noise between 50-60mph from somewhere in the cabin. Pretty faint at first but it got gradually worse and by Monday it was louder and more constant from 40mph upwards. Oddly, it seemed to stop when I eased off the throttle.

I couldn't make out exactly where it was coming from, but I did some research and bought some gummi pflege to treat the rubber seals around the roof and windows.

About a month ago I had a windscreen chip repaired, but have been a bit sceptical of the quality of the repair because there was a small crack about 1cm long next to the chip that glinted in the sunlight. Out of my field of view when driving and not a distraction so I gave the repair the benefit of the doubt. On Sunday morning I noticed what looked like a long curved and very thin crack from the other side of the chip - couldn't feel anything from the inside but could from the outside. Again, really fine crack and barely noticeable, it even felt like it could be a scratch rather than a crack, so I'm not sure if it's new or had been there since the chip had been repaired.

Better safe than sorry, so I booked in a windscreen replacement for yesterday, and planned to use the gummi pflege later that afternoon. When the guy was finished with the windscreen he told me that the primer on the old windscreen had failed and the screen just lifted off at the top! The whistling noise has now gone, so that must have been the cause.

It's lucky that my windscreen had the chip, otherwise it might have taken a lot longer to find the problem and I assume could have become a serious problem. Or maybe the windscreen issue was somehow caused by the guy who did the original repair?

Either way, if you get a whistle in your cabin, check the windscreen is still properly attached!

On a side note, is it just me or does the e89 seem to attract stones to it's windscreen?? I've been driving for over 15 years and had no windscreen chips on any other car, but both my e89's have needed chip repairs.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Zforbes

Whistling Noise

Post by Zforbes » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:15 pm

When I read the bit about coming off throttle I was guessing at a turbo pipe leak, wasn't expecting the screen to be the problem.

Did you take ay pictures?

It would be interesting to know if the screen was the original or has it been replaced previously before Andys ownership I'd guess so we may never know but you wouldn't expect a factory fitted screen to be an issue.

On the subject of new screens, flybobbie had one fit and major issues with smearingin the rain, guessing you haven't seen any issues with yours yet?
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Whistling Noise

Post by flybobbie » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:03 pm

BMW gave me a break down of parts for the screen.
One item was Item 5. Sound insulation.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=51_7148
I never noticed that on the original or replacement screen.

tiglon

Whistling Noise

Post by tiglon » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:13 pm

No photos unfortunately. Might be worth noting that the plastic cover around the bottom of the screen was coming away slightly too - perfectly flush on the new screen though.

The old screen was BMW, so either the original one or likely replaced by a dealer. The windscreen guy said exactly the same about not expecting it from a factory fit.

I think something must have happened to it in the last couple of weeks or during the previous repair for the whistle to develop so rapidly.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Whistling Noise

Post by flybobbie » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:40 pm

Looks like insulation runs inside the car, this similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyi3JvSrElU

tiglon

Whistling Noise

Post by tiglon » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:30 pm

I can confirm no smearing issues.

It's one of these, fitted by Autoglass.
Attachments
20211008_121941.jpg
20211008_121941.jpg (103.07 KiB) Viewed 555 times

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Whistling Noise

Post by Pondrew » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:30 pm

Tiglon: Did insurance pay, or you?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

tiglon

Whistling Noise

Post by tiglon » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:38 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:30 pm Tiglon: Did insurance pay, or you?
I had to pay the excess of £115 (Admiral). I think it would have been £5xx if I had paid in full myself.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Whistling Noise

Post by flybobbie » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:11 pm

My cars windshield has same printed on.
I have Autoglass tech looking at mine on Monday.