Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Atacama Yellow 35is build thread

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Timmyboybunter

Post by Timmyboybunter » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:24 pm

John-e89 may be interested in your heated wheel if parting with it - he has all the wiring/buttons in place, just missing a heated wheel.
2012 VW Passat 1.4 Tsi Estate
2005 Mercedes CLK 55 AMG
2015 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive35iS (sold)
2010 E89 BMW Z4 sDrive30i (sold)
2003 E85 BMW Z4 3.0 (sold)

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:26 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:14 pm
Nanu wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:03 pm Can't understand why BMW stopped doing the Atacama Yellow I think in 2012.
Just a guess, but maybe because nobody bought them?
Pete probably now has the majority. :D
It’s true that less AY cars were made than VO versions.

They sold very well in North America and Germany…

Personally I think BMW UK can’t cope with any colour that isn’t black/grey/silver :tumbleweed:

Nice to know that I own a considerable percentage of the UK AY market :thumbsup: :rofl:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:26 pm

Timmyboybunter wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:24 pm John-e89 may be interested in your heated wheel if parting with it - he has all the wiring/buttons in place, just missing a heated wheel.
Well happy to do a swap / cash adjustment if it works for John :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:29 pm

There was a yellow 35i on Autotrader earlier this year that looked stunning with all the bits painted anthracite or similar, including wheels.

I had a chat with BMW warranty people this week. Any meaningful modifications and you're cover will be void. There other much cheaper warranties out there that do allow modifications (as long as declared) and still cover all the same parts - I'm exploring those options at the moment.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:30 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:22 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:09 pm
B21 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:55 pm Sometimes I’m ambivalent about choices sometimes not…

On the AY I’m a believer in a simple black, ideally gloss and AY colour scheme..boring and repetitive but heh..

Generally I want to car to remain visually close to original, my rear spoiler and reversing the paint scheme on the valance and diffuser are the limit of changes ..most of the changes and costs are under the covers :thumbsup:
I like the gloss black as well but strangely not black wheels, I also don't mind a rear spoiler.

Not bothered by upgrading the mechanicals as cant really use the power / handling where I live, not that you can do much to upgrade a 23i power wise
Pop up to the Borders, pop on some fresh diapers and I’ll show you where you can unleash 300-400 bhp :thumbsup: :rofl:
Next years plan if I get a chance - even with 600hp, I would still be driving miss daisy around :rofl:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:37 pm

B21 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:22 pm Pop up to the Borders, pop on some fresh diapers and I’ll show you where you can unleash 300-400 bhp
Is that not what this weekend is about :lol:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:38 pm

tiglon wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:29 pm There was a yellow 35i on Autotrader earlier this year that looked stunning with all the bits painted anthracite or similar, including wheels.

I had a chat with BMW warranty people this week. Any meaningful modifications and you're cover will be void. There other much cheaper warranties out there that do allow modifications (as long as declared) and still cover all the same parts - I'm exploring those options at the moment.
    Been a lot of discussion on the pros n cons vs costs of warranties..

Each to their own..I factored the decision not to take a warranty into my plans.. :tumbleweed:

This was going to be a modification based project so a warranty plan was going to be too restrictive plus by the time I’ve finished all the bits that could go wrong will have been replaced/ upgraded :thumbsup:

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:50 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:37 pm
    B21 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:22 pm Pop up to the Borders, pop on some fresh diapers and I’ll show you where you can unleash 300-400 bhp
    Is that not what this weekend is about :lol:
    Sedate pottering will be the order of the day…well at least around the Premier Inn car park :thumbsup: :driving:

Not sure there will be many roads in D+G (that aren’t heavily policed) where we can max out a 35is and M40i? :tumbleweed:

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:56 pm

Dolce and Gabbana - driving around one of their stores, grab me a handbag for SWMBO's birthday next week :rofl:
    M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:06 pm

Meanwhile back on topic here’s how the much modified N20 stacked up against the stock 35is
    Attachments
    A6AF3874-9EED-4747-8450-A257FFD3B4E8.jpeg
    A6AF3874-9EED-4747-8450-A257FFD3B4E8.jpeg (67.19 KiB) Viewed 1194 times

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:11 pm

It was only a matter of time. You've got to appreciate the lovely noise the inline 6 makes :driving:

Let me know if you have any questions about tuning the engine or DCT.

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:25 pm

R.E92 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:11 pm It was only a matter of time. You've got to appreciate the lovely noise the inline 6 makes :driving:

Let me know if you have any questions about tuning the engine or DCT.
    Hello, yes the dearth of support both intellectual and physical for the N20 left me wanting….

And yes on full song the 35is makes a great noise…pity gutting the back boxes means a real drone in the cabin when sat at a steady 60-70 :tumbleweed:

So I’ve got my MHD and xHP tools :thumbsup:

As I stated I’m planning to get the VSRF down pipes and Wagner FMIC fitted than a stock MHD stage 2+ flash.

Not climbed a learning curve yet on any MHD / xHP goodies options yet..?

The DCT box is nowhere as good as the 8HP box…hopefully it can be tweaked?

Just feels like a previous generation of technology…

The handling is shite plus I’m burning rubber literally so the Quaife is badly needed.

So the Ohlins plus M3 bits / ARBs etc are the next few weeks priority.

Not sure once I’m past 400 bhp that I personally can use anymore go… :driving: :rofl:

Will be interested to hear how you go about rolling your own MHD tunes ?

Mr Tidy
    Legend
    Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:30 pm

Well this is going to be an interesting thread to follow, seeing a 35is getting some serious upgrades!

And I think the body colour mirror caps look great - whoever thought fitting silver ones was a good idea? :headbang:

Although I assume the wheels had already been changed before the photos in the first post, because they aren't 295s.
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:43 pm

The premade "OTS" maps with MHD are pretty good for what they are. They are quite close to maxing out the stock turbochargers so you don't get much extra performance from a custom tune but there's quite a lot of room for improvement when it comes to partial throttle performance and controllability. Also I've seen the OTS maps don't work great with the DCT, the shifts trigger elongated torque limits from the DCT.

With xHP you want to be using the Stage 2 maps. The stage 3 ones are a little aggressive in their downshifting behaviour, some people like that but it doesn't make the shifts any faster, just more jerky.
    xHP have given me an account so that I can provide custom xHP tunes, I think you just need to have purchased a flasher license first but don't need to but the map packs.

B21
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by B21 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:48 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:30 pm Well this is going to be an interesting thread to follow, seeing a 35is getting some serious upgrades!

And I think the body colour mirror caps look great - whoever thought fitting silver ones was a good idea? :headbang:

Although I assume the wheels had already been changed before the photos in the first post, because they aren't 295s.
    Brain fart..wheels were 325M…apologies

Yes it’s an expensive essay I’m writing…still I could have spent a lot more on a G29 :tumbleweed:

Others have made the observation that the 35is was mostly a marketing pastiche..

Personally if I could have bought a 35i with a DCT box and the key options I required..sat nav, PDC, extended USB/Bluetooth then I would have..but the two I saw were lacking those key options..

So by the time I’ve finished the only specific 35is bit left will be a logo on the speedo…

Never understood the silver mirror caps but again each to their own..