Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alexa

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Alexa

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:08 pm

Stevo1987 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:51 pm Handy if one is disabled.
That's a very valid point. :thumbsup:

I don't have Alexa, Hive or any of that sort of tech. Maybe I'm a technophobe, but when my printer randomnly goes offline, the battery condition icon on my taskbar randomly appears or doesn't, the volume button on the taskbar can somtimes be adjusted but frequently can't, I get "exception unknown software exceptions............." after most Windows updates that seem incurable, I'd rather just use a manual switch for the lights and a manual thermostat for my heating!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by TitanTim » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:11 pm

I've had Hive since 2015 and generally been pleased with it, for me just gives you that extra flexibility if you're not certain when you will be home so you can control the heating remotely at will instead of having it ticking over on a timer wasting heat.

Tim.

Stevo1987

Alexa

Post by Stevo1987 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:16 pm

TitanTim wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:11 pm I've had Hive since 2015 and generally been pleased with it, for me just gives you that extra flexibility if you're not certain when you will be home so you can control the heating remotely at will instead of having it ticking over on a timer wasting heat.

Tim.
I don't like walking upstairs when the kids used up all the hot water. All nearly left home now though. :)
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by Pondrew » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:34 pm

pvr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:00 pm Ah, I can understand that with a Hive system which works like that, but with the Honeywell system I control each radiator. So depending on the time of the day, different radiators go on and off. After installing it, it saved about £800 a year by not just having a central thermostat
Your radiator valves are just TRVs (thermostatic radiator valves) with a remotely-controlled motor (instead of a temperature sensitive element, wax normally) . The ONLY advantage they give is you don't have to get up and physically adjust them. You could have saved your £800 without them, but you probably wouldn't have thought of it (why would you?).
I am pretty sure HIVE is a brand name of British Gas. The equipment is supplied by either Honeywell (probably as they are the biggest), or Danfoss, or possibly Schneider, or Siemens.

I have been designing heating and cooling systems for 30 years and have never used the 'app' based technology because I haven't seen any cost saving advantage.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by Pondrew » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:36 pm

Stevo1987 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:51 pm Handy if one is disabled.
Never thought of that but yes, that is one advantage :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by Pondrew » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:39 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:59 pm Flip side, why have a timer which puts on your heating when you are out, but the day is mild and not needed?
Because if your programmer comes on, your wall thermostat will hold it off if the temperature is too high. And if it doesn't your TRVs will hold your rads off (this is presuming you have it all set correctly).

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by Scubaregs » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:45 pm

Yes, but if you don't need the house heated at that time for whatever reason, it is still heating the house for no purpose. There is more control with an app based timer that can work remotely.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

pvr
Legend
Legend

Alexa

Post by pvr » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:47 pm

Pondrew wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:34 pm
pvr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:00 pm Ah, I can understand that with a Hive system which works like that, but with the Honeywell system I control each radiator. So depending on the time of the day, different radiators go on and off. After installing it, it saved about £800 a year by not just having a central thermostat
Your radiator valves are just TRVs (thermostatic radiator valves) with a remotely-controlled motor (instead of a temperature sensitive element, wax normally) . The ONLY advantage they give is you don't have to get up and physically adjust them. You could have saved your £800 without them, but you probably wouldn't have thought of it (why would you?).
I am pretty sure HIVE is a brand name of British Gas. The equipment is supplied by either Honeywell (probably as they are the biggest), or Danfoss, or possibly Schneider, or Siemens.

I have been designing heating and cooling systems for 30 years and have never used the 'app' based technology because I haven't seen any cost saving advantage.
Surprising as it is impossible to do it manually, you would have to go in every room to switch the radiator off at 6 am to only heat a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. Then later in the day do the reverse and open up lounge etc and close off bedrooms. Hence the savings I see
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by TitanTim » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:10 pm

The one thing I don't allow Alexa to control is the heating, same for switching her camera lens off as don't fancy her watching me and what I get upto on the sofa :?

Tim.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by Pondrew » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:22 pm

Scubaregs wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:45 pm Yes, but if you don't need the house heated at that time for whatever reason, it is still heating the house for no purpose. There is more control with an app based timer that can work remotely.
All you have to do in that case is change it before you go out. It takes approx 1-3 hours to heat a house by 5 deg c so you would still need to pre-empt your arrival in any case (and remember).
pvr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:47 pm Surprising as it is impossible to do it manually, you would have to go in every room to switch the radiator off at 6 am to only heat a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. Then later in the day do the reverse and open up lounge etc and close off bedrooms. Hence the savings I see
Your normal TRVs on every radiator (except at least one, usually bathroom or hallway) have temperature sensing elements (hence the name thermostatic radiator valves). The vast majority have a scale of 0-5 (with a snowflake between 0 and 1). Zero is off, snowflake is approx 5 deg c, 1 is approx 18 deg c and 5 is approximately 27 deg C, the rest are increments of these.
A well balanced system with TRVs, a suitably timed programmer and reasonably set wall thermostat will do everything you need. The ONLY advantage of app based controls is that you can change them without physically moving from room to room and twisting a knob. If you have a routine (which most do), you surely would not normally need to touch them.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by Pondrew » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:22 pm

TitanTim wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:10 pm The one thing I don't allow Alexa to control is the heating, same for switching her camera lens off as don't fancy her watching me and what I get upto on the sofa
You'll have to be quiet then, cos she's always listening :D

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

pvr
Legend
Legend

Alexa

Post by pvr » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:06 am

Pondrew wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:22 pm
Scubaregs wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:45 pm Yes, but if you don't need the house heated at that time for whatever reason, it is still heating the house for no purpose. There is more control with an app based timer that can work remotely.
All you have to do in that case is change it before you go out. It takes approx 1-3 hours to heat a house by 5 deg c so you would still need to pre-empt your arrival in any case (and remember).
pvr wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:47 pm Surprising as it is impossible to do it manually, you would have to go in every room to switch the radiator off at 6 am to only heat a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen. Then later in the day do the reverse and open up lounge etc and close off bedrooms. Hence the savings I see
Your normal TRVs on every radiator (except at least one, usually bathroom or hallway) have temperature sensing elements (hence the name thermostatic radiator valves). The vast majority have a scale of 0-5 (with a snowflake between 0 and 1). Zero is off, snowflake is approx 5 deg c, 1 is approx 18 deg c and 5 is approximately 27 deg C, the rest are increments of these.
A well balanced system with TRVs, a suitably timed programmer and reasonably set wall thermostat will do everything you need. The ONLY advantage of app based controls is that you can change them without physically moving from room to room and twisting a knob. If you have a routine (which most do), you surely would not normally need to touch them.
That is the exact issue, you do need to touch them as otherwise your living room is 20 degrees at 6 am and we don’t go in there until day 7 pm. That is 13 hours of heating a room which you don’t want.

We had a balanced setup years ago, but with different people getting up at different times, the whole house (managed by a central thermostat in the hall) was heated unnecessary. I am surprised you seem to not get that point especially as you seem to be working in that area.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by Pondrew » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:22 am

pvr wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:06 am That is the exact issue, you do need to touch them as otherwise your living room is 20 degrees at 6 am and we don’t go in there until day 7 pm. That is 13 hours of heating a room which you don’t want.

We had a balanced setup years ago, but with different people getting up at different times, the whole house (managed by a central thermostat in the hall) was heated unnecessary. I am surprised you seem to not get that point especially as you seem to be working in that area.
I get it and if it works better for you, then happy days.
More than anything I'm playing Devil's advocate. I like a good debate as you are aware. I get a bit excited after a few sherbets too :D

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by ronk » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:46 am

Why use Alexa when most (I guess here) use Google as a search engine- I’m not criticising by any means, just curious.

I only use mine to ask if it’s going to rain tomorrow, or if some actor is still alive etc!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:52 am

ronk,

I only use mine to ask if it’s going to rain tomorrow

Surprised you need to ask that in the NE, I’d have thought like us YES would be the default answer!

And yes it is currently pissing it down as I’m getting ready to head off for a forum run :thumbsdown:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)