Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alexa

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:59 am

Once your timer is set, it's set. If your plans change you are heating an empty house which may well be up to temperature long before your return.
Simply put, an app giving you remote control is always going to be a better solution and give you far more control.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by TitanTim » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:08 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:46 am Why use Alexa when most (I guess here) use Google as a search engine- I’m not criticising by any means, just curious.

I only use mine to ask if it’s going to rain tomorrow, or if some actor is still alive etc!
No idea Ron, I just bought an Amazon Echo dot years ago whilst in Tesco one day and thought that might be useful. It is handy for Amazon orders as it tells your order status etc. I've then just upgraded over the years to the larger echo show with the larger screen. No preference really over Google which I use more in the car for setting sat nav etc. Think they're all pretty much of a muchness :)

Tim.

Stevo1987

Alexa

Post by Stevo1987 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:29 pm

You can set routines in Alexa. I have lights coming on and going off at certain times of the day as I see fit. There are lots of uses depends how imaginative you are. It's sort of a hobby for me but I am a IT techie bloke.
2014 Z4 e89 35is in mineral grey.
2012 Audi TTS in Ibis white.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Alexa

Post by pvr » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:57 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:22 am
pvr wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:06 am That is the exact issue, you do need to touch them as otherwise your living room is 20 degrees at 6 am and we don’t go in there until day 7 pm. That is 13 hours of heating a room which you don’t want.

We had a balanced setup years ago, but with different people getting up at different times, the whole house (managed by a central thermostat in the hall) was heated unnecessary. I am surprised you seem to not get that point especially as you seem to be working in that area.
I get it and if it works better for you, then happy days.
More than anything I'm playing Devil's advocate. I like a good debate as you are aware. I get a bit excited after a few sherbets too :D
I was actually interested in finding out what someone in the field thinks. We have the same "problem" in our gate and garage control automation part of the business. The "oldie" installers only want to use remote controls and at a stretch a GSM controller but don't want to have anything to do with the internet and automation (GPS control, voice control, variable timers etc), whilst the more recent entries in the installation markets (and the consumers) all want smart control of their equipment (not to mention the cost savings / security aspect of not having to have dozens of remote controls). Selling world wide, we see different behaviours in different markets as well.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Alexa

Post by Pondrew » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:59 pm

pvr wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:57 pm I was actually interested in finding out what someone in the field thinks. We have the same "problem" in our gate and garage control automation part of the business. The "oldie" installers only want to use remote controls and at a stretch a GSM controller but don't want to have anything to do with the internet and automation (GPS control, voice control, variable timers etc), whilst the more recent entries in the installation markets (and the consumers) all want smart control of their equipment (not to mention the cost savings / security aspect of not having to have dozens of remote controls). Selling world wide, we see different behaviours in different markets as well.
Human nature maybe? Stick with what you know; people generally don't like change. I am the same to a large degree. My attitude has always been to try and keep things as simple as they can be. Also if it ain't broke why try and fix it? Not the best attitude for 'progress' perhaps!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Alexa

Post by pvr » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:43 pm

It is funny when you do get a less progressive company that is "forced" in buying our products by their customers and have to fit them, and suddenly it isn't so bad after all as they also get maintenance contracts and service charges whilst they are at it.

Nice way in for the installation companies and for the customers they can suddenly do with their 30 year old gates what they never believed would be possible. Win/Win
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo