Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windshield, boot and roof!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:57 pm

Well got 2nd opinion on my windshield smearing, BMW dealer agrees it's odd.
Got them to quote if they fit, £889 (glass is £300).. I need now to negotiate with the insurers and fitters, come to some deal.

So then decided to tackle roof problem. So opened boot and closed, it didn't shut and wouldn't latch.
Yes, sure enough i went straight to the right lock down motor and wire broken there on microswitch..
right boot switch.jpg
right boot switch.jpg (30.21 KiB) Viewed 977 times
So with that repaired next roof problem.
obd.jpg
obd.jpg (123.14 KiB) Viewed 977 times
So no continuity on the hall sensor.
So roof moved enough to unlock, then dumped pressure and waited 20 minutes. Then was able to lift rear over the top. Then propped up with box.
roof up.jpg
roof up.jpg (104.73 KiB) Viewed 977 times
So stripped back wire, cut some test points on the yellow (12 volt all ok) and brown (signal) wire.
test pt.jpg
test pt.jpg (102.14 KiB) Viewed 977 times
No continuity on that wire so broke some where.
Simplest fix to try first is to cut the connector from Hall sensor and fit two new wires back to the good section.
If that works i will then tie to existing loom.

So, out of interest i stripped back the left loom. Look what i found.
left.jpg
left.jpg (98.29 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Not sure what's going on with these wires at manufacture.

304frp

Post by 304frp » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:01 pm

That does not look good, what year is your zed ? I’m finding these issues disturbing !!
What have we all bought into ??
:!: :driving: :!:
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:37 pm

Look like the same problem some of the earlier E85s seem to be having. Insulation gets brittle after a while, then breaks with repeated bending/folding. Not good to see it on a recent E89 though. Excellent detective work :thumbsup:
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:43 pm

Great job in finding the issue, probably saved quite a large sum of cash at the dealer. :thumbsup:

I think your insurance will not pay for the screen at the dealers, they may agree to a cheaper windscreen replacement from Autoglass
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:00 pm

Well had fitted two cheap windshields at Autoglass, first cracked after two days, the second you can't see through it once it rains and wipers going.
Going to see if at worst, i buy the glass and Autoglass fit on insurance.
Otherwise the car is un-driveable with any rain, not good for my daily drive with nights drawing in..
scren.jpg
scren.jpg (102.84 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Never known a screen like it.
Picture doesn't "show" the noise and blades judder.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:09 pm

304frp wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:01 pm That does not look good, what year is your zed ? I’m finding these issues disturbing !!
What have we all bought into ??
2009 23i, just hit 93 k miles, but i lower the roof just about everyday through summer. So gets plenty of cycles.

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:28 pm

Excellent info regarding the roof, I've got to say every e89 owner must be wondering when it's their turn, I'll be reviewing this and other threads If i'm unfortunate enough to suffer at some point.

The windscreen one is baffling, I've seen on your last thread about it you've tried the recommendations others and I have suggested although I don't think the ceramic polish was a good move tbh, any wax added will surely cause smearing just like the rainX you tried.

Before you get a replacement screen I would try acetone (nail polish remover) if you can get your hands on some, let it evaporate and fit new blades. Ive never know any greasy / waxy residue to be left behind after acetone cleaning, if it's the same then your hunch that the new screen is defective is more or less proven as far as I'm concerned.

I've got to say though waxy / greasy screen should aid judder and not make it worse, keep us all posted though as I'm interseted to see how you get on :thumbsup:
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:35 pm

Zforbes wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:28 pm Excellent info regarding the roof, I've got to say every e89 owner must be wondering when it's their turn, I'll be reviewing this and other threads If i'm unfortunate enough to suffer at some point.

The windscreen one is baffling, I've seen on your last thread about it you've tried the recommendations others and I have suggested although I don't think the ceramic polish was a good move tbh, any wax added will surely cause smearing just like the rainX you tried.

Before you get a replacement screen I would try acetone (nail polish remover) if you can get your hands on some, let it evaporate and fit new blades. Ive never know any greasy / waxy residue to be left behind after acetone cleaning, if it's the same then your hunch that the new screen is defective is more or less proven as far as I'm concerned.

I've got to say though waxy / greasy screen should aid judder and not make it worse, keep us all posted though as I'm interseted to see how you get on :thumbsup:
Just to add - may be worth cleaning out your washer fluid, if that's contaminated with grease or wax you'll just wash it back on the screen :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:52 pm

I've done everything i could think of, it just seems the glass is porous.
I cleaned out washer bottle, tried spring water, tap water, Prestone screen wash.
Tried Fairy liquid, T cut, petrol, avgas, vinegar, bicarb of soda. Hand sanitizer. Soap. Soap from dispenser in toilet block. Rain X. Turtle quartz polish. Furniture polish. Polish mop and valve grinding paste might make a difference.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:58 pm

Have you tried some fine wire wool & soapy water? I’ve used it before to get stubborn marks off the screen.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:13 am

Smartbear wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:58 pm Have you tried some fine wire wool & soapy water? I’ve used it before to get stubborn marks off the screen.
Rob
No, someone else suggested but didn't want to end up with filaments of steel rusting away on car.
To be honest i just detest the screen. I don't mind now paying for glass if the fitters will fit for free.
They have had two attempts with the cheap screen.

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:30 am

flybobbie wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:52 pm I've done everything i could think of, it just seems the glass is porous.
I cleaned out washer bottle, tried spring water, tap water, Prestone screen wash.
Tried Fairy liquid, T cut, petrol, avgas, vinegar, bicarb of soda. Hand sanitizer. Soap. Soap from dispenser in toilet block. Rain X. Turtle quartz polish. Furniture polish. Polish mop and valve grinding paste might make a difference.
Wow, I take it this is really peeing you off. :headbang:

I usually have acetone or isopropyl in the garage and never came accross anything that is left greasy after a wipe over.

Agree that some of the above should work whilst others may add problems leaving greasy deposits. I've never heard or read anything about a screen that smears other than contaminated with something or other.

Keep us posted with your findinngs :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:04 pm

Surely they should change the screen for free or at least you should only pay the difference between the cheaper and more expensive glass
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:00 pm

Well waiting on what they have to say about replacing glass.

Finished rewiring roof with bypass cable, all working now.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:52 pm

Red line shows where break was and position new twin pair wires. Green location of Hall sensor on cylinder.
roof up2.jpg
roof up2.jpg (117.02 KiB) Viewed 773 times