Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot won’t open

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
FixinMyBMWz4

Boot won’t open

Post by FixinMyBMWz4 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:30 pm

I have an 03 BMW Z4. The button to open the boot stopped working years ago, the key fob button doesn’t work either with a new battery and I even went through the center console to pull the emergency latch and that doesn’t work either. My husband watched a tutorial about drilling a hole where the emblem is on the trunk…well he used a hole saw and cut a huge hole where the emblem was and the lock mechanism is still not viewable to try and open. Other than tearing the whole trunk off and replacing the whole thing I am at a loss. Is there something I didn’t try to get the trunk open? Please help.

srhutch

Boot won’t open

Post by srhutch » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:08 pm

The one thing you haven’t mentioned is using the key in the lock.

There is no no emergency latch either for the boot.

FixinMyBMWz4

Boot won’t open

Post by FixinMyBMWz4 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:27 pm

I put the key in but the key only turns a little less than half way and nothing no latching noise and it doesn’t lift the trunk. I thought the yellow plastic latch thing I’ve been pulling on was the emergency latch?

Sidewaze Samm

Boot won’t open

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:12 pm

FixinMyBMWz4 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:30 pm went through the center console to pull the emergency latch
Not sure where you are - from the spelling of 'center' and reference to the emergency latch, I'd say in the US. But then you say 'boot' not 'trunk'...
It makes no difference, other than we don't have US-spec emergency releases in the UK.
I believe it's possible to get access by removing the vents that are behind the rear bumper - but then you'd also need to know what to do working blind. :idunno:
Good luck
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

FixinMyBMWz4

Boot won’t open

Post by FixinMyBMWz4 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:24 pm

I am in the US. I said boot because I have been reading that description in a lot of forums. I was finally able to open the trunk. The big hole my husband cut I was able to see something that looked like a cable and pulled it and it opened. Once open I removed the locking mechanism and noticed that the emergency cable was broken and that also is where the key locking cable was connected as well and broken. My part has two cable coming from it and not one like in most of the parts I have searched. Hopefully I bought the right one and can get the lock working and big hole in trunk patched up. Thank you everyone

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Boot won’t open

Post by buzyg » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:22 pm

Good to read you got in and have a plan to sort things. Welcome to the forum btw. :)

Old-Duckman

Boot won’t open

Post by Old-Duckman » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:58 pm

Glad to hear you now have access to the trunk (yep, USA too) and found the issue...My question is, does the emblem completely cover the hole your husband cut out? When I read what he did I actually cringed. Seemed a pretty drastic step to take.