Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

HELP: Is my tyre OK?

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion
Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:32 pm

From what you have said it was flat before you "gunked" it so I suspect it is probably beyond salvation.

But you could try Martins Tyres in West End near Bisley (not far from the M3 at J3).

I have used them for years, and they repaired a Pirelli run-flat on my 1 Series for £10 - I got another 11K miles out of it!

Most places just want to sell new tyres.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:44 pm

If it was run flat - scrap it!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:37 am

M1k3yC wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:57 pm
Zedebee wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:36 pm Well, the upshot is two garages have told us they won’t repair tyres with gunk in, so it’s a new tyre. What a very stupid system.
Have you tried ATS? ATS states that it will repair runflat tyres and I don't see "having used a repair/get-you-home kit" as a listed reason why a repair would be impossible. See: https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/consume ... ure-repair
I contacted ATS (thanks for the suggestion btw). They said if it was water based they could repair it, but if it was oil based they wouldn’t, and they couldn’t tell until they took the tyre off.

I really can’t be arsed with this faff, so it’s going in for a new Michelin Crossclimate today at £160. Yes, I know, blackcircles will do one for £128, but not until Thursday.

Although the subject of this post is not a Z4, I hope it will be a salutary lesson for anyone who has ditched runflats in favour of a bottle of gunk in the boot. The one upside is that the gunk/pump was really easy to use, effective, and got my wife home without any drama (except for calling me out to operate the damn thing!)
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:52 pm

clarker63 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:10 pm
Zedebee wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:36 pm Well, the upshot is two garages have told us they won’t repair tyres with gunk in, so it’s a new tyre. What a very stupid system.

hence something like rats tails are a useful addition to your arsenal when a puncture strikes.. if you can get to it of course with no jack... I have a couple of different solutions before resorting to the gunk.
Agree, I have rats tails in the boot of the MR and have repaired two punctures. They work just fine and are quite easy to use. You just need to be aware of the rules regarding what you can fix.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:58 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:14 pm
Scubaregs wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:02 pm Get it checked by a tyre repair place, they will tell you if a repair is possible.
Have you seen the mess the expanding foam makes? It will NOT be repairable. It is touch-and-go whether the wheel is salvageable :D
mate Ive had 2 tyres repaired that have had tyre weld in.. its not expanding foam just a liquid sealant that makes its way into the hole.. tyre guys said it just takes a few minutes longer to clean up the tyre.. never an issue at my local tyre place
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:58 pm

HoltsTyre Weld?

Both of my cars have cans of gunk that are probably going out of date so I’d rather put something in the boot that will allow a potential tyre repair.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:46 am

ronk wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:58 pm HoltsTyre Weld?

Both of my cars have cans of gunk that are probably going out of date so I’d rather put something in the boot that will allow a potential tyre repair.
Yes buddy Holts tyre weld👍 First time I was kinda expecting it to be scrapped after reading the stories, I seen the tyre come off and to be honest there wasnt that much mess, it was wiped clean with a few rags, repaired and on its way again.. Im sure the big nationals will tell you it can't be done as they just want to sell you a new tyre and maybe tyre slime is a bit more messy but by local tyre place told me the tyre weld wasn't an issue
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D