Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N20 OEM backbox/muffler + resonator pics?

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:12 pm

Heya,

Got a used OEM N20 muffler and resonator for the cheap off eBay a few days ago. I’m looking to have a go at modding it to then fit it to my car. Before I start cutting into them, it would be great to know how exactly they look inside, so I can make sure I don’t cut in the wrong places.

Does anyone have any pictures of the internals? I’ve found pics for other N20 cars, but never for the E89.

Cheers!
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:02 am

Sorry to bump this thread. Any help would be super appreciated. Won’t bump again as don’t want to spam.
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:08 pm

For anyone who has wondered, I opened up the muffler and resonator today.

Turns out the valved outlet pipe is actually a straight through pipe which completely bypasses the muffler. The other outlet pipe has a much more convoluted flow path. That’s why the golf tee mod is so effective, as it is effectively a muffler delete (minus the chaotic air still going through the other pipe).

I’ve removed the cladding, but doesn’t look like there will be an easy way to get a more direct flow through the second outlet pipe as well, so I might just have to leave that as is, so I had a look at the resonator as well.

Have also removed the cladding in the resonator.

Now comes the difficult point. Will what I’ve done be enough to get a noticeable amount more sound? Or will I need to do some mods on the pipes themselves? Annoyingly I’ll only know once it’s all welded up again, and I’m able to fit it to the car… :headbang:
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

BeardyJon

Post by BeardyJon » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:30 pm

Thanks for taking the plunge with this. Really interesting to see, and I'm sure will help a lot of others who are interested in N20 exhaust mods. Definitely interested in the results of your edits to see how the sound has changed, so please do share some videos of the results.
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:21 pm

I thought there was something strange with the silencer internal workings as the valved tailpipe expels hotter exhaust than its neighbour :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:18 pm

BeardyJon wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:30 pm Thanks for taking the plunge with this. Really interesting to see, and I'm sure will help a lot of others who are interested in N20 exhaust mods. Definitely interested in the results of your edits to see how the sound has changed, so please do share some videos of the results.
Thought I’d give it a go. Was only £50 off eBay so nothing to lose. Just trying to have a think whether what I’ve done already will be enough if I just weld it all back up as is. If it’s still fairly quiet I always have the option to cut it all open again, but that’s just a ballache.

I think I’ll weld it up as is, and see what it’s like. Will update…
E89 sDrive20i M Sport