Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Myth or truth? Big engines question

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:37 am

Not quite so often these days tho!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:08 am

The original question and it’s answer is more moderated by the advances in technology rather than size.

For example a S54 engine in a M Zed has a cast iron block and no complex heat management systems.

In contrast a B58 engine has an alloy block, complex heat management, insulation on the engine etc etc

A generalisation is that you should ideally only operate an engine where you can reach the nominal operating oil temperature plus a period of time to burn off the pollutants that accumulating the oil prior to reaching normal oil temperature.

Therefore the engine when shutdown will have its moisture driven out of both the oil and its actual engine.

So a S54 may require say 25-50 miles at least to achieve that status..a B58 may require say 10-30 miles.

To come back to the point a B58 may do a lot better than an old iron block 2 litre unit :thumbsup:
Spending time with a 35i, previous convictions: Fiat 20V Turbo Coupe, TVR Chimera, Jaguar XKR, Porsche 997 C4S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:12 am

The.Analyst wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:08 am The original question and it’s answer is more moderated by the advances in technology rather than size.

For example a S54 engine in a M Zed has a cast iron block and no complex heat management systems.

In contrast a B58 engine has an alloy block, complex heat management, insulation on the engine etc etc

A generalisation is that you should ideally only operate an engine where you can reach the nominal operating oil temperature plus a period of time to burn off the pollutants that accumulating the oil prior to reaching normal oil temperature.

Therefore the engine when shutdown will have its moisture driven out of both the oil and its actual engine.

So a S54 may require say 25-50 miles at least to achieve that status..a B58 may require say 10-30 miles.

To come back to the point a B58 may do a lot better than an old iron block 2 litre unit :thumbsup:
What’s your take on two modern units of different capacity though? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:26 pm

The.Analyst wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:08 am The original question and it’s answer is more moderated by the advances in technology rather than size.

To come back to the point a B58 may do a lot better than an old iron block 2 litre unit
That seems to make logical sense to me, thanks.
So is the consensus that it's not the size of the engine, but the efficiency of it's heat management that's more important?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:42 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:26 pm

To come back to the point a B58 may do a lot better than an old iron block 2 litre unit
So is the consensus that it's not the size of the engine, but the efficiency of it's heat management that's more important?
What about engines with equal modern heat management but one small/one large? That’s still not really answered the original query? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:05 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:42 pm
Pondrew wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:26 pm

What about engines with equal modern heat management but one small/one large? That’s still not really answered the original query? :?
Rob
So does the size of the engine affect the efficiency of the heat management?

A most interesting thread to read back through. Personally, engineering slightly to one side. I think most average drivers put less strain on a bigger more powerful engine, that they do a smaller capacity engine. For a whole host of reasons. Fuel economy being one.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:32 pm

buzyg wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:05 pm I think most average drivers put less strain on a bigger more powerful engine, that they do a smaller capacity engine. For a whole host of reasons. Fuel economy being one.
Probably. The reason for the original question, though, is I'm thinking of buying a very high performance big engined car, so don't know if this negates anything.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!