Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

With Reference to Loud Exhausts on the E35is

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:25 pm

Dear Comrades,

During my long and arduous climb up the extremely steep gradient of the E89 BMW Z4 35is S-Drive learning curve thus to assemble and therefrom ultimately to be in possession of sufficient knowledge therefrom to become ejumicated into the mystic arts of the illustrious conclave of the E39 35is Squadroon of which, at my initiation and with the absolutely full complement of knowledge within my tutelage, I shall, at the most definite request which the Grand Master will undoubtedly make, which will be to accept my direct elevation thus by-passing all other minor ranks, into the illustrious position of Wing Commander. All this notwithstanding, I am bereft of one minute, but nonetheless pantagruelian aspect of information of the most brobningnagain importance, to wit: Having examined innumerable films on You Tube it has been brought to my aural attention that the decibels emitted from the zorst pipe can be exceedingly loud. It is for this reason, and this reason alone, that I once again crave your indulgence in yet another enquiry of great importance as I am certain, that should I be bereft of this vital aspect of the complete and utter mandate, I shall fail in my endeavours to sail through the ceremony,... thus it my unfettered belief that the Grand Master will look straight into my unfailing gaze and pose the final question such that I shall be a carried forth into the inner temple of the BMW Z4 35is Lodge of Iniquity. So, Comrades, the question to which I am impelled to enquire is: "Why does the zorst pipes on the BMW Z4 35is emit such an huge volume of noise". My secondary question, which I am absolutely confident the Grand Master also will pose, is: "Does the extent of the emitted noise enable the BMW Z4 35is to go faster and if so, by what margin?" Clearly, you will all understand how imperative this matter is, therefore, may I request, please, that you provide a substantial degree of rumination to this matter, prior to submitting your clear statement of veracity.

Thank you.

With kind regards,

MAD

The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:40 pm

Grasshopper…

To address your question…

The 35i and 35is systems are logically identical…

The difference lies in the ‘exhaust system rear’..the 35i has part number 18307647050 and the 35is has part number 18307647055.

5th Dan and above practitioners of Real OEM deduce that therefore this is the difference.

As previously stated it’s logical to deduce that less sound reducing structures lie inside the 35is exhaust system rear.

Every since the Yamaha FS1-E sound has had little correlation to power output.

The primary method of increasing power is to remove the primary catalysts next to the headers , followed by the secondary catalysts further down the system.

The ultimate expression of this a ‘straight through system’ with new pipe work and no catalysts.

See

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=18_0844

and

Spending time with a 35i, previous convictions: Fiat 20V Turbo Coupe, TVR Chimera, Jaguar XKR, Porsche 997 C4S

SV8Predator

Post by SV8Predator » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:56 pm

Z4MAD wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:25 pm All this notwithstanding, I am bereft of one minute, but nonetheless pantagruelian aspect of information of the most brobningnagain importance, to wit:
Yes, yes, we get that you've swallowed a dictionary and that it's stuck in your colon, but although you think that it's hilarious, it's getting very tiresome now.
2012 Z4 2.0 M-Sport Atacama Yellow
2000 Z3 3.0
2016 Vauxhall GTC Sunny Melon Yellow
2000 Jaguar X308 Sovereign 4.0
1969 Jensen Interceptor 6.3 litre

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:05 pm

SV8Predator wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:56 pm
Z4MAD wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:25 pm All this notwithstanding, I am bereft of one minute, but nonetheless pantagruelian aspect of information of the most brobningnagain importance, to wit:
Yes, yes, we get that you've swallowed a dictionary and that it's stuck in your colon, but although you think that it's hilarious, it's getting very tiresome now.
At least you said a dictionary, not an dictionary. :headbang:

May I also point out that, after 23 years of serving Auntie Betty in the RAF, I can guarantee you that anyone speaking in such a manner would have been taken for counselling 'round the back of the hangar' and would not have made it past AC, let alone get anywhere near a commission!
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:29 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:05 pm

May I also point out that, after 23 years of serving Auntie Betty in the RAF, I can guarantee you that anyone speaking in such a manner would have been taken for counselling 'round the back of the hangar' and would not have made it past AC, let alone get anywhere near a commission!
Forgive the dogpiling. MAD is a troll of the greatest order. Nothing else to say here or ever again in any of his/her threads.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:35 pm

Marcoose wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:29 pm Forgive the dogpiling. MAD is a troll of the greatest order. Nothing else to say here or ever again in any of his/her threads.
Don't think he is. If you read his posts (I admit it is very hard work sometimes), there is genuine content in them. :thumbsup:
It would seem he is approximately 70 years old. Not many trolls that age.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:01 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:35 pm
Marcoose wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:29 pm Forgive the dogpiling. MAD is a troll of the greatest order. Nothing else to say here or ever again in any of his/her threads.
It would seem he is approximately 70 years old.
If you believe all the very vague references!
If I told you I'd worked on Spitfires would you just naturally assume I'm in my 90s?
WTF does anyone gain from talking such tripe?
I'm beginning to think he's on this forum because actually going out into the real world talking that shite would result in a night in A&E.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:16 pm

Dear Comrade Predator,

Thank you so much for your warm sentiments for which I am most grateful.

I regret to advise that upon further examination of the heading I would request, please, that you accept my most sincere apology for the incorrect spelling of 'brodbdingnagian'. And yes, I do realise that you would have immediately identified this error, and I wish to express my sincere gratitude to you for not causing me embarrassment by drawing this to the attention of my pantagruelian number of followers which grow exponentially as the sun sets and rises, and forgive me, please, for not calling them 'my disciples' but I am a Shaolin Monk.

With kind regards,

MAD

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:22 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:01 pm
It would seem he is approximately 70 years old.
If you believe all the very vague references!
If I told you I'd worked on Spitfires would you just naturally assume I'm in my 90s?
WTF does anyone gain from talking such tripe?
I'm beginning to think he's on this forum because actually going out into the real world talking that shite would result in a night in A&E.
Dear Comrade enuff Zed,

I trust you will not mind me correcting you as I wish to inform you that I am not 'talking such tripe' as you have stated, I am actually writing it :-)

With kind regards,

MAD

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:29 pm

Marcoose wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:29 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:05 pm
SV8Predator wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:56 pm Yes, yes, we get that you've swallowed a dictionary and that it's stuck in your colon, but although you think that it's hilarious, it's getting very tiresome now.

Forgive the dogpiling. MAD is a troll of the greatest order. Nothing else to say here or ever again in any of his/her threads.
Dear Comrade Marcoose,

Please, I feel that I must correct you for the reason that I am not as you have stated "speaking in such a manner" I am in fact "writing in such a manner".

With kind regards,

MAD

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:42 pm

Don't think he is. If you read his posts (I admit it is very hard work sometimes), there is genuine content in them. :thumbsup:
It would seem he is approximately 70 years old. Not many trolls that age.
Dearest Comrade Pondrew,

Aye, you are a true connoisseur of the mystic arts of aged scholars and would advise that Confucious said "A gem cannot be perfected without friction, nor man perfected without trials" ......... Accordingly it must be clear to all my followers both ancient and modern, that I have never purported to be perfect. And yes, I am an complete anachronism; but do I really deserve the aggression that is presently directed at me? This apart, my comments are not directed at you, Pondrew, as you have always behaved in an honourable way. Nonetheless, I would advise those of an contrarian nature, that negative opinions of me is absolutely none of my business. I behave perfectly properly and this will not change as it is integral to my DNA,.... now I've said that, I have realised that I do not not know what DNA is; does anyone else know, if so, may I trouble you, please, to advise accordingly.

Thank you.

With kind regards,

MAD

304frp

Post by 304frp » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:10 pm

:tumbleweed:
:!: :driving: :!:
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:18 pm

The.Analyst wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:40 pm Grasshopper…

To address your question…

The 35i and 35is systems are logically identical…

The difference lies in the ‘exhaust system rear’..the 35i has part number 18307647050 and the 35is has part number 18307647055.

5th Dan and above practitioners of Real OEM deduce that therefore this is the difference.

As previously stated it’s logical to deduce that less sound reducing structures lie inside the 35is exhaust system rear.

Every since the Yamaha FS1-E sound has had little correlation to power output.

The primary method of increasing power is to remove the primary catalysts next to the headers , followed by the secondary catalysts further down the system.

The ultimate expression of this a ‘straight through system’ with new pipe work and no catalysts.

See

and

Dear Comrade The.Analyst,

I thank you for the great care you have taken in forming such an well considered response the content of which is greatly appreciated.

I do find that some exhausts appear to resonant throughout the motor car to which they are appended. It must create havoc within the minds of the NVH engineers that have spent such a large proportion of their lives in devising ways in which to reduce and in some instances wholly eliminate NVH emanating from parts of the motor car; then suddenly, even some luxury saloons have exhausts which appear to me as being wholly alien to the purpose for which the machines were devised, then designed thus to accommodate the desires of the target audience of purchasers; but of course, it would appear that some members of that audience do actually desire a roudy exhaust, which appears, to me, as alien to the purpose of the machine, More particularly is this the case with owners of expensive luxury saloons whom, in many instances have a fleet of perhaps five or six quite disparate machines E.G. Bentley, Range Rover, Ferrari, Mercedes Benz etcetera.

Turning now to less expensive machines, I see no point in having an exhaust that emits a huge amount of noise when seemingly it makes no difference to the performance, or indeed if it does, it is exiguously negligible. I am wondering whether the excess noise is there to draw attention to the personage driving the machine who may well be possessed of an puerile nature.

All the aforegoing notwithstanding, any longish journey in a noisy motor car no matter from whence the noise emanates, eventually makes the journey somewhat less pleasant along with the inevitability of becoming more fatigued.

With kind regards,

MAD

304frp

Post by 304frp » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:34 pm

The Z4 is not for you, the irksome volume of a 35i and iS is very loud, and dreadful to an external ear , I detest mine. It’s in standard form but still very annoying. They resonate terribly inside and are very tiring over any reasonable distance. You may be better off looking at another forum for another marque of a similar car.
:!: :driving: :!:
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:58 pm

304frp wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:34 pm The Z4 is not for you, the irksome volume of a 35i and iS is very loud, and dreadful to an external ear , I detest mine. It’s in standard form but still very annoying. They resonate terribly inside and are very tiring over any reasonable distance. You may be better off looking at another forum for another marque of a similar car.
Dear Comrade 304frp,

I Thank you for your most thoughtful contribution to this thread.

I note that you say how much you detest your car, then go on to say it is in standard form but is still very annoying; you then state that it resonates terribly inside and is very tiring to drive. All these things bring me to wonder why you still retain the motor car within your tutelage; more particularly is the case should the machine be your only means of transport; I do trust this is not the case, for one should be happy with their acquisitions, hence the reason why I do such an almost infinite degree of research thus to eliminate the potential of the sad tale of your own experience.

With kind regards,

MAD