Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mercedes-Benz SLK -v- BMW Z4 (All Variants)

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:16 pm

Dear Comrades,

Recently, whilst drawn to a halt in what had been extremely slow moving traffic, I noted in the opposing carriageway an Mercedes-Benz SLK and thought how nice it looked; the design and overall size is not dissimilar to that of the BMW Z4. And yet, whilst I appreciate the design of the SLK and actually quite like it, I could never own one. I ruminated upon why this should be so but was not able to form a complete conclusion.

And yes, I accept that many denigrate the SLK by stating that it is an 'Hairdressers Car' but when observing it from a detached and quite dispassionate perspective, I really cannot understand why this should be the perception. And yet, I would not wish to be seen in one let alone own one. I realise this is wholly irrational and is certainly totally illogical and find it quite odd that a pragmatic person such as myself should think in this way let alone form a negative opinion of something that is really very nice. All quite bizarre.

Does anyone have an opinion on this matter?

With kind regards,

MAD

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:45 pm

Dear Comrade MAD,

That is quite a conundrum.

As a dedicated E86 owner I never considered an SLK, but I recently read a book of Clarkson's musings from the Sunday Times of that era, and he was less than complimentary about the 7-speed Auto in the SLK 350. He said it was indecisive about which gear to use at any one time, to the extent he would prefer a manual gearbox despite MB's manual efforts not being highly revered.

Then after driving a manual 35i Z4 he decided it was the best 2 seat option, until 2 or 3 weeks later he proclaimed that an MX5 was an even better 2 seater!

So at the end of the day personal preferences probably influence choices.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:20 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:45 pm Dear Comrade MAD,

That is quite a conundrum.

As a dedicated E86 owner I never considered an SLK, but I recently read a book of Clarkson's musings from the Sunday Times of that era, and he was less than complimentary about the 7-speed Auto in the SLK 350. He said it was indecisive about which gear to use at any one time, to the extent he would prefer a manual gearbox despite MB's manual efforts not being highly revered.

Then after driving a manual 35i Z4 he decided it was the best 2 seat option, until 2 or 3 weeks later he proclaimed that an MX5 was an even better 2 seater!

So at the end of the day personal preferences probably influence choices.
Wow :o :? Clarkson got something right. :D :wink:

304frp

Post by 304frp » Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:46 am

Brothers ,

Did he also muse of the virtues of said Honda S 2000.?
:!: :driving: :!:
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:43 am

I looked around one in a dealers, diesel version, i quite liked it. Wasn't that keen on the interior, bit bland, black in and out. The mpg was about half as much again compared to Z4 with same HP. With roof down the gaps around the boot area seemed bigger. Was going new for about £26k.
Customer has similar older car seems to go alright when given lift home as passenger.

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:26 am

I had an R171 version 3.0 and it was actually an ok car as a cruiser, mpg was not great but it was actually the car I kept the longest at 2 years, even longer than my Elise (what was I thinking)

I looked at an R172 when it was first launched and thought it looked great, now the interior looks very dated and the exterior has not exactly aged well either.

I cant see me buying one when I change the zed - will be another zed or an F type
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

gadgetJunky72

Post by gadgetJunky72 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:40 am

Everyday driver did a comparison of these 2 models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuP_D3XyyIE&t=509s

Edit: just realised this is in the E89 section. still an interesting watch though.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:50 am

For me it is quite simple. The Merc is just a bit too angular.
The curves don't flow in my view.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:33 am

I had an R172 SLC as a loaner when my SL was in for some warranty work and it was atrocious, noisy and uncomfortable, though in its defence I was stepping from the quiet comfort of the SL :lol:

I did look at the 250 diesel as a replacement for the e89 and was impressed enough at the time, but opted for the E350 as it was a bit more practical
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Tyreman

Post by Tyreman » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:56 pm

I would consider one of the early SLK55s but probably nothing else, they're a lot of car for the money but no more so than a Z4MR :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:56 pm

Really not a fan of the slk the sl on the other hand looks a lot more car, almost certainly will be the next 2 seater i buy.. not as nice looking as the zed in all honesty but I like the idea of a big comfy 2 seater wafter with a V engine :D
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:02 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:56 pm Really not a fan of the slk the sl on the other hand looks a lot more car, almost certainly will be the next 2 seater i buy.. not as nice looking as the zed in all honesty but I like the idea of a big comfy 2 seater wafter with a V engine :D
I had a play with an SL coming through Glen Shee last week. Definitely didn’t sit as well as the Zed. Didn’t get too long to study it as he indicated to let me past once we started pushing on a bit :oops:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

mr.tourette
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:55 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:02 pm
    mr.tourette wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:56 pm Really not a fan of the slk the sl on the other hand looks a lot more car, almost certainly will be the next 2 seater i buy.. not as nice looking as the zed in all honesty but I like the idea of a big comfy 2 seater wafter with a V engine :D
    I had a play with an SL coming through Glen Shee last week. Definitely didn’t sit as well as the Zed. Didn’t get too long to study it as he indicated to let me past once we started pushing on a bit :oops:
    Yeah I wouldn't expect it to handle as well as the zed does, its definitely a fast wafter rather than a scratcher, would suit me though right enough for my use
    if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D