Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof bobbles on open and faults

etropic

Post by etropic » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:27 pm

2010 E89

When I open the roof, glass comes up fine, trunk opens fine, but on the action to move the roof and glass up and back to the trunk when it gets past the highest point, it bobbles and jumps back and forth. This causes a fault in the switch and it stops moving.

If you wait a moment and try to continue lowering it, it will lower just fine.

It raises just fine as well.

I think the jumping back and forth is causing the switches to trigger in the wrong order to cause the fault
I think that since it continues, and also closes with no issue, that there is nothing mechanically wrong.

It's almost like it doesn't have enough hydro fluid to hold through the transition or weight or something as it moves over the arch.

Any thoughts are appreciated !

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:04 pm

Sounds like it could be a broken/ semi broken wire losing contact momentarily as it's travelling. That could explain why if you leave it and start again it plays ball.
Just a logical guess BTW, as I'm no RobbiZ4. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

etropic

Post by etropic » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:18 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:04 pm Sounds like it could be a broken/ semi broken wire losing contact momentarily as it's travelling.
Good thought, I'll inspect what I can see.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:53 pm

etropic wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:18 pm
Pondrew wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:04 pm Sounds like it could be a broken/ semi broken wire losing contact momentarily as it's travelling.
I don’t think you’ll see any broken wires unless you unwrap the harness tape to expose them, a continuity test would be more definitive.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

etropic

Post by etropic » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:29 pm

Smartbear wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:53 pm
I don’t think you’ll see any broken wires unless you unwrap the harness tape to expose them, a continuity test would be more definitive.
Rob
Right on.

So i just put it down again and when it stopped it would not go. I tried following the harness and I can see where a previous colder connection was made. But all looks ok, i wiggled it all around a bit and eventually was able to get it to close again.

Sounds like that probably is the issue. :(

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:01 pm

etropic wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:29 pm
Smartbear wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:53 pm

Rob
Right on.

So i just put it down again and when it stopped it would not go. I tried following the harness and I can see where a previous colder connection was made. But all looks ok, i wiggled it all around a bit and eventually was able to get it to close again.

Sounds like that probably is the issue. :(
It might be a good idea to PM RobbiZ4, he may be able to point you to the most likely areas to check first. He knows the roofs on the E89 inside out.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:18 pm

If you can't afford obd reader find a friendly garage to check and find which wire(most likely) or switch is broken.