Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Air Filter / Spark Plugs

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
z4dan

Air Filter / Spark Plugs

Post by z4dan » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:50 pm

Hi, im about to do a long journey and have not had a new engine air filter fitted since I had the car, nor new spark plugs. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to buy and i dont need the most expensive but dont want cheapo stuff either. Many thanks

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Air Filter / Spark Plugs

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:30 pm

z4dan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:50 pmair filter
For all filters I use MANN (they are the OEM). Sometimes they come up on Amazon incredibly cheap.

Air C 29 132
Oil HU 816 X
Cabin CUK 2339
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Southwestz4

Air Filter / Spark Plugs

Post by Southwestz4 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:59 pm

I use Mann filters. I wouldn't scrimp on the plugs ... think I have Bosch ones in at the moment
2004 z4 3.0i Sterling silver
x5 40d m sport black sapphire metallic
Transit custom

dhobbs

Air Filter / Spark Plugs

Post by dhobbs » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:12 pm

I have just ordered ngk ones from opie oil ILZFR6D11 for the upgraded one or PLZFR6A-11S
can use PAYDAY COSE FOR 15% off.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

z4dan

Air Filter / Spark Plugs

Post by z4dan » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:35 pm

Thanks everyone will be checking all those out

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Air Filter / Spark Plugs

Post by Chris_D » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:14 pm

If you're not experiencing any issues with your spark plugs/engine I'd suggest leaving it alone. It can't hurt to swap in a new filter and plugs but you could also in fact be introducing the risk of other things failing like one or more of the coilpacks or wiring by disturbing them. I went to swap in a new set of plugs when I first got my zed and ended up having to replace a coilpack due to it causing a misfire I assumed because I had disturbed it by unseating it maybe.

I'd be more concerned about checking things like the condition of the suspension and brake components.
Check all the flex hoses to make sure there are no holes and theyre actually still flexible.
Check for any leaks however small.
Scan for any codes and address them accordingly.
Take a spare coilpack and tools with you on your trip. Small enough to stow in the boot and will get you out of a spot if necessary. I keep one in the boot at all times after being caught out once. I also keep a litre of oil and coolant and fuses in the boot at all times. Might sound a bit anal but prevention is better than cure.
:wink:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Billbob10

Air Filter / Spark Plugs

Post by Billbob10 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:07 am

I use a pipercross panel filter works great breathes better
Stirling grey 3.0 bog standard apart from DLV back box

bg1

Air Filter / Spark Plugs

Post by bg1 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:14 am

Chris_D wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:14 pm If you're not experiencing any issues with your spark plugs/engine I'd suggest leaving it alone. It can't hurt to swap in a new filter and plugs but you could also in fact be introducing the risk of other things failing like one or more of the coilpacks or wiring by disturbing them. I went to swap in a new set of plugs when I first got my zed and ended up having to replace a coilpack due to it causing a misfire I assumed because I had disturbed it by unseating it maybe.

I'd be more concerned about checking things like the condition of the suspension and brake components.
Check all the flex hoses to make sure there are no holes and theyre actually still flexible.
Take a spare coilpack and tools with you on your trip. Small enough to stow in the boot and will get you out of a spot if necessary. I keep one in the boot at all times after being caught out once. I also keep a litre of oil and coolant and fuses in the boot at all times. Might sound a bit anal but prevention is better than cure.
Won't be any room for anything else!

sw4nny

Air Filter / Spark Plugs

Post by sw4nny » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:13 am

I used these,with good results
Screenshot_20210410-075227_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210410-075227_Chrome.jpg (78.84 KiB) Viewed 309 times
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

z4dan

Air Filter / Spark Plugs

Post by z4dan » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:38 pm

bg1 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:14 am
Chris_D wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:14 pm If you're not experiencing any issues with your spark plugs/engine I'd suggest leaving it alone. It can't hurt to swap in a new filter and plugs but you could also in fact be introducing the risk of other things failing like one or more of the coilpacks or wiring by disturbing them. I went to swap in a new set of plugs when I first got my zed and ended up having to replace a coilpack due to it causing a misfire I assumed because I had disturbed it by unseating it maybe.

Won't be any room for anything else!
I also keep oil in my boot at all times. I roughly have to put in a litre every 600 miles!!!