Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Transporting a road bike in the Z4 E89

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Mau

Post by Mau » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:00 pm

Calps wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:49 pm I'd recommend the suction mount.

I was in a similar situation, albeit in an E86 ...
I fully second that! Albeit that I have opted for the Rockbros alternative, which is very affordable.

As for paint scratches: plain NO. Just clean the relevant roof area and the suction cup before. :thumbsup:
Image More on the '03 roadster and '08 coupe:click me.

Calps

Post by Calps » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:55 pm

Mau wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:00 pm
Calps wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:49 pm I'd recommend the suction mount.

I was in a similar situation, albeit in an E86 ...
I fully second that! Albeit that I have opted for the Rockbros alternative, which is very affordable.

As for paint scratches: plain NO. Just clean the relevant roof area and the suction cup before. :thumbsup:
Two fine machines there Mau (although the BMC is suspiciously clean :wink: ) :poke:
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

Mau

Post by Mau » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:54 am

Calps wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:55 pm Two fine machines there Mau (although the BMC is suspiciously clean :wink: ) :poke:
Thanks mate! In my defense: this was on my way to the trails. Did not look much different when riding back though, as we had quite a long dry period. Just some dust actually. That has changed now and thus the picture will be totally different after this weekend's session I am afraid ... :evil:
Image More on the '03 roadster and '08 coupe:click me.

TomZ4

Post by TomZ4 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:41 pm

I was wondering the same and wonder why there isn't an option to mount some sort of bracket underneath the car?

I haven't had a chance to look under yet but I'm planning to look into custom made bracket that is attachable somewhere on the back underneath the car. If this will not work I will probably go with suction as straps tend to bend the boot.
Electrical engineer with interest in mechanical stuff, hit me up if you need help with some interesting projects.
Z4 - 2012 iDrive S 2.0L
Current project: iDrive Android Screen Installation

RS89

Post by RS89 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:28 pm

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread - I have been looking for solutions to carry a bike on my Z4 and I'd forgotten all about the Sea-sucker style mounts!

Are you all running them on Z4 coupes? Anyone running one on a E89?

I do worry about the additional force on the folding roof from the bike being mounted. Not sure how fragile they really are.

If anyone has a photo, do share :D