Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Speedometer Readings and their Reliability

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:25 am

tiglon wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:10 pm
Starman wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:05 pm I find my speedometer is off by 5mph at almost all speeds on the low side. So the thing tells me Im doing 60 mhp when everything else tells me Im doing 55MPH. This would effect the mileage on my meter significantly... it says I have 36,000... it probably had more.

I just wondered if it has to do with the 19" stock BMW rims I have.
Speedometers are always set to read a higher speed than you are actually travelling (some cars are an exception to this, I think those that only have digital speed displays), to give a margin of error. Usually about 10%. This won't effect your odometer reading.
It’s possible to remove the speedo optimism & display the true speed with Carly :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:27 am

Starman wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:05 pm I find my speedometer is off by 5mph at almost all speeds on the low side. So the thing tells me Im doing 60 mhp when everything else tells me Im doing 55MPH. This would effect the mileage on my meter significantly... it says I have 36,000... it probably had more.

Hi, your 19” wheels will bring the speedo reading closer to reality than the smaller rims.
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:34 pm

Until not too long ago a loop hole existed in the law regarding clocking.
If you leased a car with an allowance of 10k miles per annum for example and you exceeded that substantially, as many people do. You could pay to have the mileage reset quite openly.
I used the service on many occasions and it worked like this.
Note last service mileage, plug in machine, machine then generates random mileage figures in all recording loactions, you simply pick a figure close to and above the last service mileage and thats it.
The loophole was in the fact that YOU were not SELLING the car you were returning it to a lease company and they auction them off to clear the stock.
So the potential to have a clocked car is there if it was a lease vehicle in its first years.
Last time I had this done was 2012.
Not allowed now though
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:08 pm

Dear Comrade mcbutler,

So, there you have it. It would seem that it is still perfectly possible to reduce the mileage on a vehicle prior to a service or/and an MOT which could be performed over a period of years, thus the history would show a chronology of low mileage; to which some unsuspecting personage would fall victim to the purchase of a vehicle which shows a very low mileage and for which they would have paid a premium price,... which is the raison detre for the pecuniary advantage of the despicable personages performing this utterly disgraceful and wholly corrupt procedure.

With kind regards,

MAD

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:20 pm

mcbutler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:34 pm Until not too long ago a loop hole existed in the law regarding clocking.
If you leased a car with an allowance of 10k miles per annum for example and you exceeded that substantially, as many people do. You could pay to have the mileage reset quite openly.
Note last service mileage, plug in machine, machine then generates random mileage figures in all recording loactions, you simply pick a figure close to and above the last service mileage and thats it.
The loophole was in the fact that YOU were not SELLING the car you were returning it to a lease company and they auction them off to clear the stock.
So the potential to have a clocked car is there if it was a lease vehicle in its first years.
Not allowed now though
Not trying to be a dick, but that would still have been 100% covered by fraud laws so perhaps not advisable to put it out there publicly! It might not have been illegal to alter the odometer, but as soon as you dishonestly claim that to be the accurate mileage so as to get a pecuniary advantage, it becomes fraud.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Ed.Straker

Post by Ed.Straker » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:39 pm

Smartbear wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:27 am

Hi, your 19” wheels will bring the speedo reading closer to reality than the smaller rims.
Rob
As I understood it the rolling radius of the 17 18 and 19 wheels including tyres are identical?

The change in profile of the tyre offsets the change in wheel diameter?
White 35i MSport MHD re-map…still in one piece

Atacama Yellow 20i MSport Auto. Remapped, more to be done…written off

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:28 pm

tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:20 pm
mcbutler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:34 pm Until not too long ago a loop hole existed in the law regarding clocking.
Not allowed now though
Not trying to be a dick, but that would still have been 100% covered by fraud laws so perhaps not advisable to put it out there publicly! It might not have been illegal to alter the odometer, but as soon as you dishonestly claim that to be the accurate mileage so as to get a pecuniary advantage, it becomes fraud.
Correct but no one was claiming it to be true, you dont sign anything to attest to mileage accuracy when returning any lease I have ever had.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:29 pm

mcbutler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:28 pm
tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:20 pm
Not allowed now though
Correct but no one was claiming it to be true, you dont sign anything to attest to mileage accuracy when returning any lease I have ever had.
Apologies, I chose my words poorly. To be more precise:

Fraud by false representation (Fraud Act 2006, section 2).
-made a false representation
-dishonestly
-knowing that the representation was or might be untrue or misleading
-with intent to make a gain for himself or another, to cause loss to another or to expose another to risk of loss.

The representation doesn't have to be a signed document, it doesn't even have to be words, it can be communicated by conduct and can be express or implied.

Info can be found here - https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/fraud-act-2006. I'll leave it at that and let you make your own mind up.
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:28 pm

tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:29 pm
mcbutler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:28 pm
tiglon wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:20 pm Not trying to be a dick, but that would still have been 100% covered by fraud laws so perhaps not advisable to put it out there publicly! It might not have been illegal to alter the odometer, but as soon as you dishonestly claim that to be the accurate mileage so as to get a pecuniary advantage, it becomes fraud.
Apologies, I chose my words poorly. To be more precise:

Fraud by false representation (Fraud Act 2006, section 2).
-made a false representation
-dishonestly
-knowing that the representation was or might be untrue or misleading
-with intent to make a gain for himself or another, to cause loss to another or to expose another to risk of loss.

The representation doesn't have to be a signed document, it doesn't even have to be words, it can be communicated by conduct and can be express or implied.

Info can be found here - https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/fraud-act-2006. I'll leave it at that and let you make your own mind up.
I wont be reading that thanks!
No point unless you are a quaified barrister..
Although you might consider that the practice was advertised openly and freely by many dealers for many years and the practice was ended by the closing of a "loop hole in the law".
So if it was a "loop hole" then it was not ilegal before that was closed, if it was then why close the "loop hole"..

Thats my armchair lawyer thoughts on the matter anyways
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:16 pm

mcbutler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:28 pm I wont be reading that thanks!
No point unless you are a quaified barrister..
Although you might consider that the practice was advertised openly and freely by many dealers for many years and the practice was ended by the closing of a "loop hole in the law".
So if it was a "loop hole" then it was not ilegal before that was closed, if it was then why close the "loop hole"..

Thats my armchair lawyer thoughts on the matter anyways
So if I've read this correctly, you willingly paid people to fraudulently "correct", or realistically "clock" mileage on (someone else's) lease cars so you didn't have to pay very small excess mileage charges in the past?
Yet, a couple of months ago, some trades-people who were doing some bodywork on your (own) car took it for an unauthorised spin around the block are despicable criminals and deserve to be imprisoned?
Please correct me if I have got any of this wrong, because the only word that comes to mind is hypocrite. Actually there are other words that spring to mind but it's a family show :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:49 pm

Ed.Straker wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:39 pm
Smartbear wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:27 am

Rob
As I understood it the rolling radius of the 17 18 and 19 wheels including tyres are identical?

The change in profile of the tyre offsets the change in wheel diameter?
You’re right, I’m thinking of the higher profile tyres I’ve got fitted to my 19”s - the standard fitment tyres keep the gearing the same as the smaller wheels :thumbsup:
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:47 pm

Speedo' readings seem ok on my cars when checked against those speed warning signs
( Not the ones that plunder your bank account)

Squeeze over the 30 a smidge and 32 flashes up and its 32 on the dial.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:57 pm

That's strange - maybe newer models are more accurate!

There were a few of these over my late Mum's way and I used to set Cruise to an indicated 30 as I approached them. All 3 of my Z4s and three 3 Series flashed up 27mph, so I usually drove to 33 on the speedo. :lol:

Using the same rationale when I was coming home past 50mph average cameras I would set the CC to 55 and never got a NIP in over 6 years.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:58 pm

Smartbear wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:49 pm

You’re right, I’m thinking of the higher profile tyres I’ve got fitted to my 19”s - the standard fitment tyres keep the gearing the same as the smaller wheels :thumbsup:
Rob
The lower profile on the 19" wheels will keep it the same?

https://www.errolstyres.co.za/odcalculator
Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 20.55.42.png
Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 20.55.42.png (136.91 KiB) Viewed 332 times
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:46 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:58 pm
Smartbear wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:49 pm

Rob
The lower profile on the 19" wheels will keep it the same?

https://www.errolstyres.co.za/odcalculator
Screenshot 2021-09-30 at 20.55.42.png
[/quote

That’s right, like a few people on here my 19” tyres are 35 profile instead of the factory fitted 30 - this gives the rims a fighting chance of remaining crack free and also brings the usually optimistic speedo to a more accurate reading :thumbsup:

e85 3.0si sold