Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Possible central locking issue?

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:57 am

Hi all.

I have an issue with what I think is central locking related. When I lock the car after 30 or so seconds, I get a click noise which is probably normal but this repeats like the car isn’t going to sleep as you’d expect. This is confirmed by the red LED on the handbrake switch, light goes out but comes back on after a second or so.

I think the issue to with my passenger side door lock actuator as I’m also getting an occasional failure with the window not dropping every time when opening the door and one instance of a door open warning.

Has anybody had similar issues – is there anyway to diagnose without replacing the lock actuator?

I took the door card off yesterday with the intention of confirming the part number but the Bowden cable that actuates the exterior handle appears to be a bit fiddley and likely to break something when removed. When I search the web I seem to get a lot of different part numbers although this item seems to be pretty generic within the BMW range. Can anybody confirm if this is something I need to be concerned about when ordering a new one?
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:48 pm

For future reference if anybody else sees the same issue, today I changed the passenger door lock actuator, pretty easy change over in the end, probably not much more than an hour to take door card off remove and refit a new one. Hardest bit was removing the screw cover in the door storage box. All back together and locks working as they should although it was intermittent so will monitor over the next few days. If I don't post here again assume it worked.

The part was £53 delivered from Lloyd BMW Carlisle, eBay link below 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-DOOR-LOC ... 635-2958-0

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:09 pm

Zforbes wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:48 pm For future reference if anybody else sees the same issue, today I changed the passenger door lock actuator, pretty easy change over in the end, probably not much more than an hour to take door card off remove and refit a new one. Hardest bit was removing the screw cover in the door storage box. All back together and locks working as they should although it was intermittent so will monitor over the next few days. If I don't post here again assume it worked.

Thanks for the update..so often people have an issue, people propose solutions, you never here whether they worked. :tumbleweed:

I suspect I may have something vaguely similar on the drivers door..the price makes the denial,option less attractive :rofl:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:23 pm

B21 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:09 pm
Zforbes wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:48 pm For future reference if anybody else sees the same issue, today I changed the passenger door lock actuator, pretty easy change over in the end, probably not much more than an hour to take door card off remove and refit a new one. Hardest bit was removing the screw cover in the door storage box. All back together and locks working as they should although it was intermittent so will monitor over the next few days. If I don't post here again assume it worked.

Thanks for the update..so often people have an issue, people propose solutions, you never here whether they worked. :tumbleweed:

I suspect I may have something vaguely similar on the drivers door..the price makes the denial,option less attractive :rofl:
I always look on forums first, nothing similar although I'm sure it's a lot more frequent. Frustrating when you find similar issues with no resolution. I'm alright jack attitude 🙄

Drivers usually a bit more difficult to fit due to the lock barrel, nothing to be worried about though

There's a YouTube clip with door card removal and others that show lock actuator replacement on e90, actuator a bit easier on e89, you don't need to remove the window regulator bar.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:32 pm

Zforbes wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:23 pm

I always look on forums first, nothing similar although I'm sure it's a lot more frequent. Frustrating when you find similar issues with no resolution. I'm alright jack attitude 🙄

Drivers usually a bit more difficult to fit due to the lock barrel, nothing to be worried about though

There's a YouTube clip with door card removal and others that show lock actuator replacement on e90, actuator a bit easier on e89, you don't need to remove the window regulator bar.

Great thanks..as I said if a pathfinder has done the job for a reasonable price then I can follow :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:51 am

B21 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:32 pm
Zforbes wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:23 pm

Great thanks..as I said if a pathfinder has done the job for a reasonable price then I can follow :thumbsup:
Further update. Car is doing exactly the same this morning if not worse. When I got in the car passenger side window dropping an inch and going back up, set off on a journey and had 3 passenger door open warnings ping up in about 20 minutes of driving.

Got a few errands to run I'll investigate further, I have INPA and other software on laptop but I don't think I'll have any fault codes to read.

Bowden cables looked good when refitting and other than possibly sticking / tight cable I can't imagine why this would be the problem.

I'm thinking now I could have an issue with the drivers side footwell module maybe 🤔

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:14 am

I’ve not looked but does the FRM control the front windows and locks?

The FRMs do seem to have a track record of bricking , sometimes it’s caused by multiple recurring faults in a circuit then the FRM gives up?

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:56 am

B21 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:14 am I’ve not looked but does the FRM control the front windows and locks?

The FRMs do seem to have a track record of bricking , sometimes it’s caused by multiple recurring faults in a circuit then the FRM gives up?
That sort of rules that one out then, I thought it controlled the locks similar to the GM5 on my old e46.

It does operate windows though but from the fault description I've read it doesn't appear similar to my issues.

Wife's out shopping with her mum and its just stopped raining so going to take door card off again and check out the Bowden cables for sticking other than that I'm lost. Surely the new actuator can't have the same issues🤐

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:22 pm

I doubt the new unit will have the same fault as the old unit..

How did you reach the conclusion that it was the door lock?

Fault codes?

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:03 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:22 pm I doubt the new unit will have the same fault as the old unit..

How did you reach the conclusion that it was the door lock?

Fault codes?
Mainly due to the issues I was having but I did have a FRM code

9cbc short circuit interruption of door contacts.

I can't seem to change inpa to English though so it's taking some time to work out what's going on
20211030_132227.jpg
20211030_132227.jpg (167.71 KiB) Viewed 949 times

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:07 pm

Well that looks like your issue…just need to find what’s causing the short circuit…sounds nasty..cracked / frayed wiring?

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:11 pm

Whilst the door card was off I noticed quite a bit of water on the contacts for the illuminated door handle leds, I've dried it off best I could and refitted the external window seal, there was quite a gap near the back of the door directly above the door handle.

Rain stopped play though so had to get car back together and come in

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:26 pm

Zforbes wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:11 pm Whilst the door card was off I noticed quite a bit of water on the contacts for the illuminated door handle leds, I've dried it off best I could and refitted the external window seal, there was quite a gap near the back of the door directly above the door handle.

Rain stopped play though so had to get car back together and come in
That may be it..the issue with all this electronic sensory is that a bit of water and maybe associated corrosion may trigger a short circuit fault?

I guess is you pull various units off the fault if cleared shouldn't re-appear then voila there is where the fault is?

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:42 pm

I cleared the fault code first time I had a play with the lock. It didn't come back on straight away but it is showing this same code now.

Haven't cleared it yet as I've seen youtube clips where using toolset32 software you can delve a little deeper. It's It's pain though as I can't seem to change the language and German is not very well understood. Google translate required to work out what I'm doing whilst being careful not to balls thinks up.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:43 pm

Zforbes wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:42 pm I cleared the fault code first time I had a play with the lock. It didn't come back on straight away but it is showing this same code now.

Haven't cleared it yet as I've seen youtube clips where using toolset32 software you can delve a little deeper. It's It's pain though as I can't seem to change the language and German is not very well understood. Google translate required to work out what I'm doing whilst being careful not to balls thinks up.
Yes I've got the BMW tools on my laptop but prefer Bimmergeeks Protool for that reason where possible..good luck..