Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering fail icon after a short trip

Sllimc

Post by Sllimc » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:44 pm

Hi had a steering problem today after a short trip to the shops. Car hasn’t been use much during lock down this year but I use a CTec charger when not using the car. The car had been started several time during this short trip before the problem/ icon appeared,could the problem be due to a poor battery ( it’s original and the car is 61 plate). I have started the car tonight after being on charge and the fault icon didn’t return and the steering felt ok
Craig
2011, 23i, Red with Black leather

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:49 pm

Whether or not the battery is the problem with your steering I can’t say, but a 10 years old I’d definitely be looking at replacing it
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:25 pm

Sllimc wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:44 pm Hi had a steering problem today after a short trip to the shops.
What was the problem with the steering? Or was it just that a warning icon has indicated a problem? It was unclear.
Initially presuming an old battery is responsible for every error or problem is IMO a dangerous way of fault finding.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Sllimc

Post by Sllimc » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:38 pm

It was just the icon at first just after starting the engine, I was at home about to put the car in the garage. I put the car away and left it for an hour then restarted and tested steering felt ok then went hard (no assistance). Left on charge all afternoon then retest, steering felt normal and the icon had gone. The car is booked in for service at the weekend so will have it checked.
The car isn’t my main car so won’t be using it before the weekend. I have seen that you can get odd electrical problems when the battery fails that why I asked the question
Craig

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:09 pm

Chippie wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:49 pm Whether or not the battery is the problem with your steering I can’t say, but at 10 years old I’d definitely be looking at replacing it

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:09 pm

Sounds like it may be something to do with the PAS pump. No expert.
As you have said, get it checked out by a garage. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:13 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:09 pm Sounds like it may be something to do with the PAS pump. No expert.
As you have said, get it checked out by a garage. :thumbsup:
It’s an electric motor not a pump. I’m pretty sure if the battery is week then the car starts to shut down certain electrical system which could explain the power steering failure

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:19 pm

My steering did this, I also lost the sports button function.
Possible that it could be the battery, it sounds like you have had good service from it.
If your steering is still stiff and no sports button after you do the battery, it's normally the ECU on the steering motor. This can be repaired for around £300.
Let us know what happens with the new battery
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:33 pm

Chippie wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:13 pm It’s an electric motor not a pump. I’m pretty sure if the battery is week then the car starts to shut down certain electrical system which could explain the power steering failure
OK motor. You could well be correct, but that wasn't my point (and I wasn't criticising you at all, as you stated it may not be related), it was what the OP said about it maybe being the battery.
My point was that fault-finding, especially with safety related items should be carried in a certain sequence. The battery is not the starting place. That is all. :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:29 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:33 pm
Chippie wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:13 pm It’s an electric motor not a pump. I’m pretty sure if the battery is week then the car starts to shut down certain electrical system which could explain the power steering failure
OK motor. You could well be correct, but that wasn't my point (and I wasn't criticising you at all, as you stated it may not be related), it was what the OP said about it maybe being the battery.
My point was that fault-finding, especially with safety related items should be carried in a certain sequence. The battery is not the starting place. That is all. :thumbsup:
My reply wasn’t meant to come across as being criticised :D , just pointing out its an electric motor and possibly being turned off, I’d still be looking at changing the battery first though.

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:38 am

Chippie wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:29 pm
My reply wasn’t meant to come across as being criticised :D , just pointing out its an electric motor and possibly being turned off, I’d still be looking at changing the battery first though.
:slappy: :gfight:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:00 pm

Chippie wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:29 pm
In this instance, given the age of the battery and the history these cars exhibit of issues caused by a failing one, I would indeed start by ensuring you have a good battery fitted. Without that you would never know if any reading you obtained from any tests were true or also affected by a lack of battery power.
Had the OP stated he had a fairly new battery then we could 'possibly' have discounted that, though of course depending on usage profiles, it may still be the issue.
PS. I am only rolling this grenade in on the off-chance the first one was a dud. :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Sllimc

Post by Sllimc » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:04 pm

A quick update had the key checked for error messages and it was clear, as car being serviced at the weekend I have requested a new battery and a health check (part of the service work). As the garage is some way from me I will soon know if there are other issues .As I said in the first post it was after a short trip made up of short sections so no real chance to put charge back into the battery.
Let’s see what the weekend brings. Cheers for any comments
Craig

Ed.Straker

Post by Ed.Straker » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:41 pm

Sllimc wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:04 pm A quick update had the key checked for error messages and it was clear, as car being serviced at the weekend I have requested a new battery and a health check (part of the service work). As the garage is some way from me I will soon know if there are other issues .As I said in the first post it was after a short trip made up of short sections so no real chance to put charge back into the battery.
Let’s see what the weekend brings. Cheers for any comments
I had all sorts of issues on the car I bought brought about by a combination of an original battery and the owner not using it.

When I used a software reader it came up with dozens of error messages.

Plus the roof would and then wouldn't work.

A new battery, registered and error codes cleared and all but one of the errors went not to come back.
White 35i MSport MHD re-map…still in one piece

Atacama Yellow 20i MSport Auto. Remapped, more to be done…written off

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:34 am

When the engine is running electrical power is provided by the alternator - not the battery in usual circumstances....
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather