Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Difference Between the z4 35i and 35is

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:15 pm

Launch Control is vicious !
I would definitely not use it on a car of mine - a pal had it on his company car (330xd) and he used it for demonstration several times - I have to say it is wild! :rofl:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:56 pm

Dear Comrade Ed.Straker,

Thank you for an most interesting addition to the whole panoply of generous posts which have provided such a mine of most interesting information to those such as myself whose knowledge is deficient, which makes matters inordinately difficult when assessing, then assembling information, more particularly when one is presented with nomenclatures which, when properly explained as has been the case with 'S-Drive' sets up a caveat of what else has become masterminded by the marketing department to create aspirational allusions to which there is very little substance but directed at potential purchasers thus to delude them,... quite frankly it beggars belief that an organisation which creates machines that are so magnificently engineered, are then handed over to the marketing department thus to shroud the creation in poppycock, piffle, bunkum, drivel, hogwash, tommyrot, tripe and twaddle along with poppycock and piffle,.... and who can argue with the aforementioned definition when a two-wheel-drive machine has appended to it 'S-Drive' thus to define the aspect of two wheel drive,... as I sit here this eventide upon a three legged stool milking a kangaroo, I can confirm that I truly believed that 'S-Drive' was something that truly defined the machines as something quite special,... and yet, all it means, is that the machine is two-wheel-drive; I could perhaps forgive the manufacturer should they make a four-wheel-drive version but I do not believe this to be the case.

With kind regards,

MAD .............. Now equipped with sufficient information to write a thesis on the BMW Z4 35i and the BMW Z4 35is along with an addendum of how a manufacturer has appended weird names for things that are as commonplace as French Letters outside a harlot's place of residence.

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:25 pm

92 posts to say...

The 35i is an excellent car but the 35is is better because of a few more bells and whistles and extra bling. :poke: :rofl:
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:34 pm

The argument was that you could buy a 35i with all the same spec as a 35is, apart from the ECU map, exhaust and marketing stuff, for much less than the 35is. Firstly, find me a 35i that has actually been specced that well (good luck). Secondly, find one that's been specced that well, and is so much cheaper than a 35is of comparable mileage, age and condition that you have enough spare cash to get it remapped and the exhaust modified.
[/quote]
I bought a 35i with more than 35is spec from forum member last November. But spec down to first owner who kept the car for 10 years. No idea what a rare beast this was- it had the main options I wanted -adaptive suspension, heated m sport seats, nav AND BMW insured used warranty . this was most most important thing for me having done my research but not to same extent as MAD. Here is link to car when it was sold.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=125643

One thing forgot to mention to MAD is that you can always recognize a 35i or 35is as its the only z with exhaust pipe on each side of the car(just in case he had not noticed) so assure him that others will be aware that its the 3litre twin turbo from common view for other drivers. The S drive designation would be irrelevant should he get into gear and purchase a 35i or 35iS
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

The.Analyst

Post by The.Analyst » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:40 pm

Zforbes wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:25 pm 92 posts to say...

The 35i is an excellent car but the 35is is better because of a few more bells and whistles and extra bling. :poke: :rofl:
Au contraire, nothing like some Z4 Forum 35is owners to exhibit denial and bigotry on a grand scale…not to mention an inability to read or assimilate relevant information :poke: :thumbsup: :tumbleweed: :rofl:

But then again try to persuade the average Z4 Forum 6 cylinder E89 owner that you can be happy with a 4 pot E89 :fuelfire:

Discuss…
Spending time with a 35i, previous convictions: Fiat 20V Turbo Coupe, TVR Chimera, Jaguar XKR, Porsche 997 C4S

tiglon

Post by tiglon » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:02 pm

In my defence, if I'm illiterate I probably didn't even know whether the car I was buying was a 35i or 35is...
2014 E89 35is Valencia Orange 788M wheels (M2 Competition), E90 M3 control arms, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, MHD Stage 1

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:01 pm

Marcoose wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:00 am
Silverstar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:32 amfor the 2015 year model there is only one example of each 35i and 35is both cars at around £27k
I believe you’ve just made the point that there’s no premium between the 35i and the 35is. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If you read what I wrote carefully you will see that there is a 2016 35i going for 2000 less than a year older 35is so yes there is a difference in price between the two. And what about the 2014 year model where the price difference is 5K?
Marcoose wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:39 am
To insist the premium is a waste of money is nothing but sour grapes. That’s all I have to say on this thread.
But I am not insisting that it is a waste of money. What something is worth to one may not be another, I am just merely pointing out that the difference in what you get between the two models isn't huge and that maybe something to think about if you are paying somewhat more for it.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:03 pm

ronk wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:15 pm Launch Control is vicious !
I would definitely not use it on a car of mine - a pal had it on his company car (330xd) and he used it for demonstration several times - I have to say it is wild! :rofl:
Also takes about 1,000 miles off the life of the tyres :o
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:06 pm

Dear Comrades One and All,

Gosh, Ronk has placed two of the longest and most brobdingnagianly comprehensive and contiguously placed 'Posts' ever to have been seen within these hallowed and indeed illustrious columns, the pagination of which I refer is: 'Number Six'.

I have wholeheartedly engaged within the information that Ronk has so kindly and most generously provided. Indeed I have examined each detail to the minutest of degrees. t is truly so magnificently comprehensive such that there can be no question as to the veracity of the content; the aspect of promethean transmogrification puts asunder some assertions made within the catenated order of the Posts within this thread. I would particularly refer fellow comrades and most essentially the piloti's of the BMW Z4 35i and the BMW Z4 35is to the aspect of 'Transmissions' as set out within the wonderful Post that Ronk has created, which is not only biblical in its gargantuan proportions, but also in the veracity of its content. I have noted that the final drive ratio appears to be quite disparate on the 35i by way of comparison to the 35is,... it would seem the 35i has a ratio of 3.08 with the 35is having a ration of 2.56. I trust that I have interpreted these figures correctly; if so, it would seem that the 35is is higher geared than the 35i. This would indicate that the miles-per-hour per one thousand engine revolutions in the 35is would be significantly reduced by way of comparison to that of the 35i. Additionally, as the engine in the 35is would appear to be turning over at a much reduced rate of revolutions this would indicate that the 35is engine would have a far greater longevity than the 35i.

I trust this post has not set a metaphorical spanner in the works. But, I believe you all should direct yourselves to Ronk's wonderfully revealing post thus to assimilate the glorious information set within.

With kind regards,

MAD

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:23 pm

Z4MAD wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:06 pm Dear Comrades One and All,

Gosh, Ronk has placed two of the longest and most brobdingnagianly comprehensive and contiguously placed 'Posts' ever to have been seen within these hallowed and indeed illustrious columns, the pagination of which I refer is: 'Number Six'.

I have wholeheartedly engaged within the information that Ronk has so kindly and most generously provided. Indeed I have examined each detail to the minutest of degrees. t is truly so magnificently comprehensive such that there can be no question as to the veracity of the content; the aspect of promethean transmogrification puts asunder some assertions made within the catenated order of the Posts within this thread. I would particularly refer fellow comrades and most essentially the piloti's of the BMW Z4 35i and the BMW Z4 35is to the aspect of 'Transmissions' as set out within the wonderful Post that Ronk has created, which is not only biblical in its gargantuan proportions, but also in the veracity of its content. I have noted that the final drive ratio appears to be quite disparate on the 35i by way of comparison to the 35is,... it would seem the 35i has a ratio of 3.08 with the 35is having a ration of 2.56. I trust that I have interpreted these figures correctly; if so, it would seem that the 35is is higher geared than the 35i. This would indicate that the miles-per-hour per one thousand engine revolutions in the 35is would be significantly reduced by way of comparison to that of the 35i. Additionally, as the engine in the 35is would appear to be turning over at a much reduced rate of revolutions this would indicate that the 35is engine would have a far greater longevity than the 35i.

I trust this post has not set a metaphorical spanner in the works. But, I believe you all should direct yourselves to Ronk's wonderfully revealing post thus to assimilate the glorious information set within.

With kind regards,

MAD
It says standard transmission ratios, so the difference could be that for the 35i it shows numbers for the manual transmission since that is the standard transmission for the 35i and the standard transmission in the 35is is the DCT which maybe using different ratios?
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Zforbes

Post by Zforbes » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:23 pm

Z4MAD wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:06 pm it would seem the 35i has a ratio of 3.08 with the 35is having a ration of 2.56
I assume 3.08 is the manual 6 speed and 2.56 the 7 speed DCT also available on the 35i
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:52 pm

Z4MAD wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:56 pm poppycock, piffle, bunkum, drivel, hogwash, tommyrot, tripe and twaddle along with poppycock and piffle,
For anyone not wishing to read all of Z4MAD's posts in full, please find a short summary above.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:42 pm

Dear Comrade Scubaregs,

I do not, however, resort to plagiarism as is the case with your post. And please, I do not at all mind you purloining my creations, indeed, I take it very much as a compliment.

With kind regards,

MAD

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:52 pm

Silverstar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:23 pm have wholeheartedly engaged within the information that Ronk has so kindly and most generously provided. Indeed I have examined each detail to the minutest of degrees. t is truly so magnificently comprehensive such that there can be no question as to the veracity of the content; the aspect of promethean transmogrification puts asunder some assertions made within the catenated order of the Posts within this thread. I would particularly refer fellow comrades and most essentially the piloti's of the BMW Z4 35i and the BMW Z4 35is to the aspect of 'Transmissions' as set out within the wonderful Post that Ronk has created, which is not only biblical in its gargantuan proportions, but also in the veracity of its content. I have noted that the final drive ratio appears to be quite disparate on the 35i by way of comparison to the 35is,... it would seem the 35i has a ratio of 3.08 with the 35is having a ration of 2.56. I trust that I have interpreted these figures correctly; if so, it would seem that the 35is is higher geared than the 35i. This would indicate that the miles-per-hour per one thousand engine revolutions in the 35is would be significantly reduced by way of comparison to that of the 35i. Additionally, as the engine in the 35is would appear to be turning over at a much reduced rate of revolutions this would indicate that the 35is engine would have a far greater longevity than the 35i.
As Chippie said earlier , I don't know if you are taking the micturition (you spelled it wrong BTW), but the drive ratios are the same. The 35i has two, one for a manual and one for the DCT; the 35is only has the DCT. The DCT is 2.56 for both. BTW there is a typo in the literature, if you look at the 28i drive ratios, they have been transposed from the manual to the auto. I know feckin fascinating, huh?
I should have been a rozzer :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:06 pm

Z4MAD wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:42 pm Dear Comrade Scubaregs,

I do not, however, resort to plagiarism as is the case with your post. And please, I do not at all mind you purloining my creations, indeed, I take it very much as a compliment.

With kind regards,

MAD
:rofl: People quote on forums all the time, it's how it works, nothing special.

I assume, despite my answer, you still do not know how to post a link?
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image