Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Difference Between the z4 35i and 35is

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:46 am

tiglon wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:34 pmThe insinuation that anyone with a 35is paid extra because they fell for some marketing bollocks is simply not true
+1

FWIW, and please forgive with the Americanisms, I’ve bought my 2016 35is 10 months ago for US$38K delivered from L.A. It had 30K very unmolested miles on the clock and 9 months of warranty. It had all packages I wanted except Comfort Access and Parking Assist (whatever official names they have.)

Perhaps 2-3 months prior, I was trying to buy a 2011 35is from a privateer dealer from Arizona. He wanted more money for an older car with more miles. He said to lose his number. I’m glad he did. LOL.

There was also a bloke from San Diego with a nicely trimmed 35is, also older and more miles … and more expensive. Passed.

Oh, and loads of older 35i’s with more miles for more money. But I was on the market for a 35is. I’ve waited until the right one popped up.

I know I didn’t pay no premium for mine. I wish I didn’t have to pay for the upgrades listed below, but they were worth it.

He who disses shinier toys has a serious case of sour grapes.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:00 am

Silverstar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:32 amfor the 2015 year model there is only one example of each 35i and 35is both cars at around £27k
I believe you’ve just made the point that there’s no premium between the 35i and the 35is. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:04 am

Marcoose wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:46 am
tiglon wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:34 pmThe insinuation that anyone with a 35is paid extra because they fell for some marketing bollocks is simply not true
+1

FWIW, and please forgive with the Americanisms, I’ve bought my 2016 35is 10 months ago for US$38K delivered from L.A. It had 30K very unmolested miles on the clock and 9 months of warranty. It had all packages I wanted except Comfort Access and Parking Assist (whatever official names they have.)

Perhaps 2-3 months prior, I was trying to buy a 2011 35is from a privateer dealer from Arizona. He wanted more money for an older car with more miles. He said to lose his number. I’m glad he did. LOL.

There was also a bloke from San Diego with a nicely trimmed 35is, also older and more miles … and more expensive. Passed.

Oh, and loads of older 35i’s with more miles for more money. But I was on the market for a 35is. I’ve waited until the right one popped up.

I know I didn’t pay no premium for mine. I wish I didn’t have to pay for the upgrades listed below, but they were worth it.

He who disses shinier toys has a serious case of sour grapes.
I don't think it's a case of dishing shinier toys and you also have to remember the pricing in the US market varies to what it is in the UK and again what it is in Europe. From the examples I gave in my post above in the UK at least there is a clear difference in price between the 35i and 35is. Whether you pay that premium depends on how badly you want the extras that came with the 35is and I don't think it will be a bad buy because the 35is will always be worth more money than the 35i so you will recoup it when time comes to sell on.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:39 am

Silverstar wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:04 amI don't think it's a case of dishing shinier toys and you also have to remember the pricing in the US market varies to what it is in the UK and again what it is in Europe. From the examples I gave in my post above in the UK at least there is a clear difference in price between the 35i and 35is. Whether you pay that premium depends on how badly you want the extras that came with the 35is and I don't think it will be a bad buy because the 35is will always be worth more money than the 35i so you will recoup it when time comes to sell on.
Sure is, and it’s utter bad form. Whilst I’ve only purchased BMWs in Europe and America, I reckon it’s fair to assume that everywhere in the world, ceteris paribus, the upper BMW model sells for more than the lower model. Which one is right for you it’s up to you. To insist the premium is a waste of money is nothing but sour grapes. That’s all I have to say on this thread.

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:10 am

Marcoose wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:46 am /quote]
It had 30K very unmolested miles on the clock and 9 months of warranty.
Curious as how you know the 30k miles were "unmolested?"
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:16 am

[quote=Z4MAD post_id=<a href="tel:1871660">1871660</a> time=<a href="tel:1632781991">1632781991</a> user_id=37888]
Dear Comrades,

It occurred to me that whilst I have posed numerous questions on aspects of the BMW Z4 35i and 35is it has just occurred to me that I have no idea what the 'S Drive' is and what it does. Additional to this may I be made aware, please, what the 'Seven Second Overboost' is and what it does.

Finally, I have seen references made to 'Launch Control' and once again this is terminology of which I have absolutely no understanding whatsoever so, may I be advised please, what Launch Control is and what it does.

And, may I say what a revelation it has been to find that the difference betwixt the 35i and the 35is appears to be so utterly negligible,... unless, that is, a raft of additional information further resurrects the matter.

I thank you in anticipation of your kind assistance.

With kind regards,

MAD
[/quote]

Sdrive is simply standard rear wheel drive not xdrive 4 wheel drive

Overboost is where the ECU will hold the waste gate closed allow the turbo to keep an increase boost pressure/air flow to give a higher BHP

Launch control let’s the car accelerate faster from a standstill (traffic light drag race)

Hope this helps, but not sure if you are trying to take the p*ss with you recent questions :D
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Flyingfifer

Post by Flyingfifer » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:20 am

2006 3.0Si Coupé in Monaco Blau with all the optional trimmings

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:46 am

Dear Comrade Chippie,

Will you, please, kindly use the correct terminology e.g. the word you should be utilising to express the opinion you have stated is 'Micturate'.

I would, therefore, confirm that I am not, as you have alluded, 'taking the micturation' with this thread or any post that I have placed upon it. Indeed, if there is any micturation being promulgated it appears to me from the revelations on this thread, that it may well be BMW. For example, I have never, in my whole life, heard a two wheel drive vehicle referred to as 'S Drive' and therefrom emblazoning 'S Drive' on both sides of the vehicle leading observers to believe this was something really special. Should this be a fact, it just goes to prove (to me) along with some other examples promulgated on this thread exemplifying the minuscule differences betwixt the 35i and 35is, and how those employed in marketing can create illusions within the minds of purchasers that is wholly at disparity with the reality. It beggars belief that 'S Drive' merely refers to two wheel drive,... is this really the case, surely not: I await the responses of fellow comrades with great interest.

All the aforegoing notwithstanding, I greatly appreciate the responses you have made within the thread, and certainly I was most interested in your clearly detailed explanation of the 'Overboost' facility,... however, I am not at all sure about the 'Launch Control' facility as this would appear to me that it would hold the likelihood of causing extreme load and wear upon the tyres, it would also surely create unnecessary loads within the complete drive train of the machine, and therefrom cause unnecessary wear and tear. Quite frankly, it would seem tantamount to abuse of the machine to use such a facility.

Does both the 35i and the 35is have this ridiculous facility of Launch Control?

With kind regards,

MAD

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:58 am

You are indeed correct in your assumptions on launch control and it is something that I have never used or even had the inclination to try.
I must also apologise for my presumption that you are asking questions that you already new the answers too,
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:21 am

Dear Comrade Chippie,

I thank you for your apology, but I do wholly understand that when a personage is in possession of knowledge which to them would appear as exoteric, it is difficult for them to understand why someone not blessed with such knowledge would perceive the knowledge as esoteric and therefore such a personage would have absolutely no understanding of that which is clearly stated.

Concerning the 35i and the 35si; this thread has proved to me the old adage of: "Time Spent in Research and Reconnaissence is Seldom Wasted" for I was totally set upon acquiring an 35is. However, the kind responses that comrades have taken the trouble to make has enabled me to have a much clearer understanding of the matter under review. And yes, I can understand that some may perceive me as pedantic, but of course the reason for this is that I emanate from different times, such that I am now an anachronism and therefore may be defined as something that is wholly inappropriate to the time in which it exists. This makes me inordinately assiduous in the care that I take in the fervent hope of ultimately arriving at the correct decision; perhaps, one may also describe this as "It is not the destination, but the glory of the ride".

With kind regards,

MAD
Last edited by Z4MAD on Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colin_E

Post by Colin_E » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:23 am

Chippie wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:58 am ... my presumption that you are asking questions that you already new the answers too,
I think that presumption was entirely correct and the OP is pulling everyone's chains here. Cast your eyes over this thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=131292 - especially the latter pages if you're in any doubt :lol: :lol:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:25 am

Another few pages and you'll be looking at an 18i. Think of the guineas you would save! :D :thumbsup:
PS You still crack me up MAD. "Taking the micturition". Brilliant. :lol:
Last edited by Pondrew on Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:29 am

Pondrew,

Another few pages and you'll be looking at an 18i

Pot and kettle………………… :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:33 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:29 am Pot and kettle………
    I have an 18i and the only difference between that and a 35is is.......17 :D
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:38 am

Dear Comrade Pondrew,

Why not acquire an S Drive badge, a 35i badge along with a 35is badge which you then could emblazon upon the sides of your wonderful machine, thus only the true aficionado's would be aware of your micturation taking; for myself I think it would be absolutely hilarious; you could also weld a second zorst pipe to the rear. Great!

With kind regards,

MAD

P.S. I am off now, as I need to feed the hippopotamus that I have in yonder meadow