Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Difference Between the z4 35i and 35is

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:00 pm

Dear Comrade 2k35is,

You are too kind and I really do appreciate your sincere attention in this matter.

I shall engage forthwith with the link.

My thoughts presently are such that I believe there is a likelihood that as the nightwings draw the autumnal period into wintertime, there may well be an exodus of a few custodians thus to divest themselves of machines they are no longer utilising. Additional to this, the market presently appears to be in a state of considerable disorder, with no logic, rationale, or pragmatic aspects applied to pricing; this too will reach an natural equilibrium in due course.

This an addendum: Since writing the aforementioned I have engaged with the link that you so kindly provided. I would confirm that even for an anachronism such as myself, it was simplicity itself to use.

Thank you and kind regards,

MAD

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:08 pm

Z4MAD wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:00 pm Dear Comrade 2k35is,

You are too kind and I really do appreciate your sincere attention in this matter.

I shall engage forthwith with the link.

My thoughts presently are such that I believe there is a likelihood that as the nightwings draw the autumnal period into wintertime, there may well be an exodus of a few custodians thus to divest themselves of machines they are no longer utilising. Additional to this, the market presently appears to be in a state of considerable disorder, with no logic, rationale, or pragmatic aspects applied to pricing; this too will reach an natural equilibrium in due course.

Or, in simpler parlance, another winter lockdown would sort the prices out! January is the best time to buy a convertible IMO. Simple human nature. :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:18 pm

Dear Comrade Pondrew,

Then I shall wait until January. It is my birthday in January therefore a machine may well arrive close to my birthday rather than Christmas. Either way I shall be more than happy.

With kind regards,

MAD

zxy

Post by zxy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:21 pm

DCT on a 35I 1890
metallic paint on 35i 550
Adaptive M suspension on a 35i 660
3100 GBP additional for 35is items
35is only costs 2948 more and has some appearance items, plus has the extra HP
If that's Too good to be true then it probably is.
2 Corvettes 2 Porsches,2 Alfas, 2 BMWs

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Z4MAD wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:40 pm Dear Comrades,

I have been ruminating upon the aspect of 'Lithium' and the ramifications thereof for machines such as the E89 (I needed to include E89 to make this post legal in the context of where it has been placed). However, what pray are your views and opinions on this lightest of all metals inter alia its usage in batteries, compared to petroleum fuled devices and does it follow that we shall become 'Battery-Heads' rather than 'Petrol-Heads'?

With kind regards,

MAD
Fortunately for me at my time of life, I will never be anything other than a petrolhead :D The deadline for the fully electric vehicles will be extended due to the lack of facilities and the shortage of electricity to to charge them. As for lithium, the Chinese control the vast majority of the worlds supply which they will of course ration to inflate the price making all the savings on EV's obsolete.

By the time all this EV nonsense is sorted and people realise that mankind has no control over the planets weather systems, I will be long dead.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

304frp

Post by 304frp » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:03 pm

Buying one in January is a gret intro into its snow capabilities in the uk :driving:
:!: :driving: :!:
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:29 am

304frp wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:03 pm Buying one in January is a gret intro into its snow capabilities in the uk :driving:
Last edited by Z4MAD on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:02 pm

Compromise on colour but not on type!

If you are serious about about buying a 35is just put a wanted post on the forum and see what comes your way

I’m no spring chicken either and having lost good pals from my youth realise time is too short to worry about the colour If its going to take another six months to get that exact car.

For the same reasons I have discounted buying an M40i as I cannot get a 100% guarantee that a dealer wii be able to supply in the springtime.

It’s a potential six month delay I don’t want to risk.
Last edited by Wondermike on Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:13 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:02 pm
For the same reasons I have discounted buying an M40i as I cannot get a 100% guarantee that a dealer wii be able to supply in the springtime.

It’s a potential six month delay I don’t want to risk.
I had an update from Emily@BMW Boston on Wednesday concerning my car (being built :thumbsup: ) ) and she told me that they’d mistakenly ordered two identical cars in my name, once they realised they took my name off that one and it went back on as a standard BMW order and now that’s it’s not assigned it’s been pushed back. Why not give her a ring and see what they can do
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

2k35is

Post by 2k35is » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:20 pm

Bit younger 17 in 1964 and just passed my driving test. Think decision can depend on type of person you are what else you've got to drive( if anything) whilst looking for car. I take a long time to choose my cars and I am prepared to wait for the right car. Except one always bought the first one I go to look at then get an RAC inspection. Tend to hang onto them because they have a spec that I particularly liked at the time and as car gets older can't find another one that meets that spec.
First was a 2003 (facelift) black e46 330ci bought in 2007 and sold in 2020 (manual gearbox and left knee and ankle main reason for change).
April 2009 e91 325d LCI SE auto in space grey-finding an Se with right spec took ages - have periods when I stop looking then find one. Ex BMW management car loaded with extra( often not the case with lower down the line models). Only downside was SE seats bur swapped them out for a set of M-sport seats from ebay.
Then the Z4 35i- this started out more an an investment a Z4M coupe but no joy in something sat in garage want to get out and use it and with the 330ci going it had to be ac convertible. The E91 was the previous generation 6 speed auto - had to be an auto. The e91 box is brilliant but for a sports car it had to be the DCT which narrowed the choice down somewhat. Been looking for about 18 months the one I bought was on the forum and it had the BMW insured used warranty on it at 11 years old. Was only 20miles away from me and deep sea blue one of my favourite colours. If it hadn't been for covid I wouldn't have bought it. Day I went to look at it was a thunderstorm car was so noisy but put that down to weather, but has already made my mind up that I was going to buy it. Sorned it until Jan this year and first time of driving thought it was the biggest mistake I had ever made- the creaks/groans from roof, the abysmal ride with runflats on even in comfort mode. I wanted my 330ci back. Since then (with lots of help from forum and despite Sytners keep throwing spanners into the works) the car is almost 100% I wouldn't say I have gelled with it as much as the 330ci BUT now roof issues etc sorted I just want to get in it and go for a drive not something that I was doing with the 330ci
So waiting to get the right car works for me - but we are all different.
Z4MAD's choice but one things for sure it going to be an interesting read
Ken
Dec 2009 Z4 35i DCT Deep Sea Blue
2018 3 door Cooper S DCT
sold 2003 e46 330ci Convertible

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:33 pm

2k35is wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:20 pm Bit younger 17 in 1964 and just passed my driving test. Think decision can depend on type of person you are what else you've got to drive( if anything) whilst looking for car. I take a long time to choose my cars and I am prepared to wait for the right car. Except one always bought the first one I go to look at then get an RAC inspection. Tend to hang onto them because they have a spec that I particularly liked at the time and as car gets older can't find another one that meets that spec.
First was a 2003 (facelift) black e46 330ci bought in 2007 and sold in 2020 (manual gearbox and left knee and ankle main reason for change).
April 2009 e91 325d LCI SE auto in space grey-finding an Se with right spec took ages - have periods when I stop looking then find one. Ex BMW management car loaded with extra( often not the case with lower down the line models). Only downside was SE seats bur swapped them out for a set of M-sport seats from ebay.
Then the Z4 35i- this started out more an an investment a Z4M coupe but no joy in something sat in garage want to get out and use it and with the 330ci going it had to be ac convertible. The E91 was the previous generation 6 speed auto - had to be an auto. The e91 box is brilliant but for a sports car it had to be the DCT which narrowed the choice down somewhat. Been looking for about 18 months the one I bought was on the forum and it had the BMW insured used warranty on it at 11 years old. Was only 20miles away from me and deep sea blue one of my favourite colours. If it hadn't been for covid I wouldn't have bought it. Day I went to look at it was a thunderstorm car was so noisy but put that down to weather, but has already made my mind up that I was going to buy it. Sorned it until Jan this year and first time of driving thought it was the biggest mistake I had ever made- the creaks/groans from roof, the abysmal ride with runflats on even in comfort mode. I wanted my 330ci back. Since then (with lots of help from forum and despite Sytners keep throwing spanners into the works) the car is almost 100% I wouldn't say I have gelled with it as much as the 330ci BUT now roof issues etc sorted I just want to get in it and go for a drive not something that I was doing with the 330ci
So waiting to get the right car works for me - but we are all different.
Z4MAD's choice but one things for sure it going to be an interesting read
Ken
Dear Ken,

Thank you for placing this most excellent post as it puts forward the case of why people wait to acquire the motor car they desire and to which I have nothing to add, which no doubt you will agree is quite unusual for me :-) It may also make others think a little more about placing ill considered posts the content of which is less than satisfactory, such that it makes the people that write them appear as though they have just escaped from the institution of pifflemongers, and that is my well considered opinion.
Last edited by Wondermike on Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quotes tidied up

Z4MAD

Post by Z4MAD » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:36 pm

Dear Comrades,

May I be advised, please, thus that I may insert the responses into my compendium of BMW Z4 35i and 35is minutia, what is the 'Shadow Line' that is frequently referred to in advertisements of the BMW Z4 35i and BMW Z4 35iS horseless carriage?

MAD

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:22 am

I believe “shadowline” spec changes certain silver elements of exterior trim to black in order to provide a more “sporty” look. Not exactly sure which items are changed on the 35i/is. Someone will no doubt be along to fill in the detail, but I assume it should be apparent just by looking at examples with and without the pack.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:35 am

I have a hard copy of the sales brochure 2016 - I will look at it later and look for “shadow line “
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: