Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mid pipe cats replaced - question

"M" Specific discussion
TomK

Post by TomK » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:47 pm

I'll be removing my supersprint x-pipe soon (installed earlier this year) as it has made the car too loud for most tracks with the ss race back boxes I have, drop me a msg if interested. I need a bit of time though to figure out how best to repair the damage to the oe flanges I made on removal :headbang:
It's a surprising difference in volume compared to stock (at least with the back boxes I have), more of a burble on idle and deeper tone all round.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

///MBan

Post by ///MBan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:02 am

TomK wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:47 pm I'll be removing my supersprint x-pipe soon (installed earlier this year) as it has made the car too loud for most tracks with the ss race back boxes I have, drop me a msg if interested. I need a bit of time though to figure out how best to repair the damage to the oe flanges I made on removal :headbang:
It's a surprising difference in volume compared to stock (at least with the back boxes I have), more of a burble on idle and deeper tone all round.
I was running SS V1 headers, cat'd s-pipe, x-pipe and Powerloop back boxes for a few months and recently went back to the stock x-pipe. Volume, drone, burbles/pops and rasp all decreased and overall the exhaust sounds flatter. On balance, the stock x-pipe is better for me but I did enjoy that hollow, metallic sounding howl with the Supersprint item.

TomK

Post by TomK » Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:41 pm

///MBan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:02 amI was running SS V1 headers, cat'd s-pipe, x-pipe and Powerloop back boxes for a few months and recently went back to the stock x-pipe. Volume, drone, burbles/pops and rasp all decreased and overall the exhaust sounds flatter. On balance, the stock x-pipe is better for me but I did enjoy that hollow, metallic sounding howl with the Supersprint item.
Likewise, I enjoyed the sound, but it has pushed things too far over the edge both in terms of circuit limits and just being a bit cringe loud.
I have the option to go to powerloop which I would suspect cure the noise limit problem, but it's extra cost and extra weight so I'm just going to go back to the oe x-pipe and keep the race cans, it was fine like that before :oops:
I think it would be an interesting mod for someone with OE back boxes.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Verinder1984

Post by Verinder1984 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:13 pm

Interesting to know that’s what’s I was after in the first place.

I might just leave it now seems to be too much headache.

I wouldn’t mind sports cats.. I’ll make some calls Monday. If anyone knows a place that can do sports cats at a good price for the zed in Berkshire, bucks, Surrey Let me know.

I think I like the tinny thrashy sound. So sport cats should amplify that.
RedUn wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:14 pm
Verinder1984 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:28 pm Full waste of time. Got to the fabricators who said unless u change the cats or back box there’s nothing that can be done.

Bypassing the xpipe wouldn’t increase the sound as the car doesn’t have secondary cats.

Lollllllllllllll waste of 3h
Hmm clearly doesn't have a clue.

The oem x pipe has a resonator, people have replaced with a non resonated x pipe such as the rogue version with the oem back boxes for a nice but not mental volume increase.

Secondary cats has nothing to do with it.

You could do both the cats and the x pipe but if imagine it would be quite raspy with the oem rear boxes.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:29 pm

Verinder1984 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:13 pm Interesting to know that’s what’s I was after in the first place.

I might just leave it now seems to be too much headache.

I wouldn’t mind sports cats.. I’ll make some calls Monday. If anyone knows a place that can do sports cats at a good price for the zed in Berkshire, bucks, Surrey Let me know.

I think I like the tinny thrashy sound. So sport cats should amplify that.
RedUn wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:14 pm
Verinder1984 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:28 pm Full waste of time. Got to the fabricators who said unless u change the cats or back box there’s nothing that can be done.

Bypassing the xpipe wouldn’t increase the sound as the car doesn’t have secondary cats.

Lollllllllllllll waste of 3h
Hmm clearly doesn't have a clue.

The oem x pipe has a resonator, people have replaced with a non resonated x pipe such as the rogue version with the oem back boxes for a nice but not mental volume increase.

Secondary cats has nothing to do with it.

You could do both the cats and the x pipe but if imagine it would be quite raspy with the oem rear boxes.
Buy a bolt on setup, rogue x pipe and supersprint decats, all bolt in, you can change it easily then if you like it or want to do more at a later :thumbsup:
IMOLA Z4///MR

///MBan

Post by ///MBan » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:56 am

TomK wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:41 pm Likewise, I enjoyed the sound, but it has pushed things too far over the edge both in terms of circuit limits and just being a bit cringe loud.
I have the option to go to powerloop which I would suspect cure the noise limit problem, but it's extra cost and extra weight so I'm just going to go back to the oe x-pipe and keep the race cans, it was fine like that before :oops:
I think it would be an interesting mod for someone with OE back boxes.
The Powerloops are quite heavy - I weighed mine at 9.5kg each; only 1kg less than the stock mufflers. I thought about trying the SS x-pipe with stock mufflers (and may still to satisfy my curiosity) but guessed that while drone would be eliminated, mid-range rasp would be increased in comparison to the stock x-pipe / Powerloop combination. The thing I like about the Powerloops is that they have a nice thrum at low rpm but are pretty quiet as revs build, which makes it easier to hear the intake. But, I'm going for sound quality alone, whereas you have more pragmatic considerations.