Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windshield and wipers

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Windshield and wipers

Post by flybobbie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:22 am

This is driving me nuts ever since i had the new Chinese windshield fitted.
And dangerous can't see out during down pour.
w.jpg
w.jpg (90.94 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1mjHBT2rgM
As though the windshield is greasy.
Have tried glass cleaner, T cut, Rainx but still can't stop this hazing when wipers wipe.
Done same with old and new traditional coat hanger style Bosch wipers and now Bosch blade wipers.
All the blades judder, the new blades wobble at the arm.
Is no company capable of making decent windshield and wipers.
In past i have never thought twice about quality of glass or wipers.

Danglesberries

Windshield and wipers

Post by Danglesberries » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:13 am

Jeez, you've practically tried ALL available options to sort this. Can't see any way round it apart from windscreen replacement to OEM but at what ridiculous cost? :x

Silverstar

Windshield and wipers

Post by Silverstar » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 am

From the video it seems to me the problem is more to do with the glass than the wipers, I can't see how wipers can make the screen appear greasy. Also shortly after wiping the smearing goes until the next wipe cycle, I would therefore suspect the culprit is the Chinese glass. I would go back to the company that fitted the glass and make a complaint and request they replace it with a genuine BMW one.

A very long time ago I had a side glass replaced and the windscreen company put some aftermarket glass in, however I could see the aftermarket glass wasn't the same, it had a slightly different tint and if you looked side on you could see it was rippled. I immediately asked the company to replace it with a genuine glass and since then whenever I need any glass replacing I always insist on genuine glass.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Windshield and wipers

Post by flybobbie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:37 am

Well from day one not very happy glass. First one cracked two days after it was fitted.
The glass just doesn't look as thick as the original, had a slightly waviness on the black border, you could see the reflections weren't flat.

I thought perhaps the glass still had some of release agent from the factory on it.
To me it looks like the surface is perhaps not smooth but has micro pores, trapping the moisture.
I can reduce the effect by keeping the demister on, but come winter i can't see shield getting warm enough.
Last edited by flybobbie on Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Windshield and wipers

Post by flybobbie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:49 am

First time in thunderstorm downpour couldn't see road ahead, i actually wiped the inside glass thinking it was misted.
Also to me the glass doesn't look clear, has a slight haze to start with.
I will go back to glass fitters get their advice.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Windshield and wipers

Post by Pondrew » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:51 am

It's just a thought but is it worth physically bending the wiper arms into the screen slightly to see if it makes a difference? It looks like the blades are not making a firm enough contact with the screen so leaving a thin film of water behind. If the new screen is thinner than the old, this could be what is happening. Got to be worth a try?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Windshield and wipers

Post by Chris_D » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:09 am

I had this on a replacement windscreen on my E36 coupe years ago. I put it down to whatever final manufacturing stage chemicals/solvents were used. I decontaminated with 4 passes and rinses of Dreft (Fairy Liquid in the UK) (excellent degreaser) and 50/50 demineralised water and white vinegar using wire wool as a scourer and it solved my problem. Wire wool won't scratch your screen.
Form a bunding at the bottom of your screen to divert the waste water off to the sides and away from your drain channels.
If you try this method don't use the wipers you were using prior to the cleaning process as you will just contaminate the screen again.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Zforbes

Windshield and wipers

Post by Zforbes » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:17 am

If you can get your hands on some acetone I'd be giving a good wipe down with that, nothing better to remove greasy residue, be carefully on the paint though, pour acetone onto paper towel and wipe only the glass, if not as above, a decent soap and vinegar as an alternative.

Actually think the rain-x may add to your problem.
E89 sDrive 35is Titan Silver Kansas Black Leather

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Windshield and wipers

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:24 am

Zforbes wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:17 am Actually think the rain-x may add to your problem.
I was thinking the same tbh. I don't expect RainX is the complete problem, but I found that it was great if you could go fast enough to disperse the water, but at low speed where you had to use the wipers a fair bit then the screen looked very similar to the photo above.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Windshield and wipers

Post by flybobbie » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:10 pm

Yes i had thought to use some vinegar on the screen.
Also a good frost in winter seems to lift dirt off screen.
I thought the Rain x might seal the screen.

I might try some cheap blades but shorter.
The blades drag and judder as they sweep.

ScoobyR1

Windshield and wipers

Post by ScoobyR1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:15 pm

In response to the OP,

I had exactly the same issue, which I still haven't truly resolved fully yet. I posted on here a few months back. I tried all the usual cleaning and degreasing and replacing inumerable wiper blades, I read somewhere that there were rubber "anti rattle" shims which were OE fitment basically rubber washers which are factory fitted and sit on the posts which drive the wiper arms. Presumably these washers shock absorb and prevent the kind of action you are experiencing.

When I asked the question on here no-one knew what I was talking about so I just persevered and use Rain X and try and minimise the use of my wipers where possible, not really a permanent fix I'm afraid.

I think the original post I read about this was on Bimmerfest. Good luck with it and if you find a solution let me know :D :driving:
'03 Titan Silver 3.0 auto. Hand controls, CC, MFSW CSL reps, H&R ARB's, :thumbsup:

Now sold '03 Sterling grey 2.5 E85 :(

BeardyJon

Windshield and wipers

Post by BeardyJon » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:32 am

I can't say I know the answer but some things I might try are:
  • Clay Bar the whole screen
  • Taking a DA polisher to the glass with a fine compound as there may be some kind of top layer of the glass causing this
  • ceramic coating the glass
2012 E89 sDrive20i M Sport Celtic Tuning Stage 3 Remap
2008 E86 Z4 M Sport 2.0i - Gone
2003 E46 316ti M Sport - Gone

Adil_3

Windshield and wipers

Post by Adil_3 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:39 pm

So I’ve had my windscreen replaced not to long ago from a tiny 1mm stone chip that began to expand a into a crack. I was super picky with the glass, turns out I had already an aftermarket one on from the previous owner :cry:. Anyways fear not, glass repair guy advised I replace the wipers. So did something a little better, best advice to give it a go, fairy liquid 2 passes over and a new set of blades should do the trick!

One thing to add however its all good doing the outside, but also give the inside a degrease and a wipe down with some quality micro fibre. Should be fine I know mine is perfect!

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Windshield and wipers

Post by flybobbie » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:55 pm

Tried two new sets of blades, plus cheap set from The Range.
Tried today, vinegar, Fairy liquid for ten minutes, many coats and washes then finished off with Hybrid Ceramic polish.
Jury still out.

acm

Windshield and wipers

Post by acm » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 pm

I was searching for recommendations to degrease windscreens and came across the same suggestions that the OP and others have tried.

I then found a description of a new car having the same issues which weren't resolved using these methods, then the new car owner hit upon the idea of trying sugar soap - which resolved his issues. He said either premixed spray or made up from powder works.

He said it took a couple of attempts and left rags soaked in the sugar soap on the windscreen for a little while before wiping with the sugar soap rags and washing clean.

Perhaps another solution to consider? :driving:

Cheers!
Andy