Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SORN Z4 advice (for sale)

First port of call for new members
mrstaggerlee

Post by mrstaggerlee » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:41 pm

Hi - not sure if this is the right forum to use, so shout if not.

I've got an 2006 2.5i Sport Roadster currently SORN which I'm sadly looking to get sold. I'm not sure what the best way of going about it and was recommended to this forum. MOT expired in Feb and it hasn't been high on the to-do list since. There was an issue with power steering going just before MOT and usual garage was closed. I let it slide as had access to another car so wasn't pressing. Now I need to free up the parking space, but haven't got any time to really sort out the steering.

It's in decent shape, with a few minor body work complaints (scuffed front bumper and spot of rust on the boot). Everything works well and the steering light isn't on anymore. Car starts no problem even though not getting any road time. I reckon it's a great mini project for someone who's got the time and inclination to get a very nice car back on the road.

It looks like it's worth about £3.5k from online valuation, but as it's not MOT'd, issue with power steering and would need picking up (hired tow truck?) I'm not sure how appealing it is and what I could ask for it £s wise. I'm currently thinking or emailing round local garages/dealers to gauge interest.

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated, how much to ask and if it's reasonable to expect someone to pick it up (tow away perhaps)?

thanks

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:02 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. You’d normally get lots of help and advice from this forum to diagnose and fix your problems, but it sounds as though you just want to rid of. There’s a few members who take on fixer-uppers and may be interested. You should give full details of the car, condition, service history and location . . . and pictures, and post a for sale thread. You can get an idea of value by entering details of your car (and faults) into webuyanycar or similar. £3,500 for a non running 2.5i sounds optimistic unless it’s low miles and above average condition. Forum rules say you can ask for offers, but you have to state a price as well.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:57 pm

Not sure of the law, but can you drive it to the garage to get an MOT without tax?

Personally trying to sell a car without an MOT will put lots of people off.

Are you trying to sell it here or just get advice on the way forward?
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:41 pm

dhobbs wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:57 pm Not sure of the law, but can you drive it to the garage to get an MOT without tax?

Personally trying to sell a car without an MOT will put lots of people off.

Are you trying to sell it here or just get advice on the way forward?
You need to make an appointment at a garage before you drive it, otherwise you cant prove you are mot using tehcar without an MOT.

I would want an MOT on before I purchased anything as you have no idea what else is wrong underneath
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:59 pm

mrstaggerlee wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:41 pm Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated, how much to ask and if it's reasonable to expect someone to pick it up (tow away perhaps)?
This isn't a Z4 relative question; this is just a question.
I would say (seeing as you asked) look at the evidence from a buyer's POV . You have an un-MOTd (not roadworthy) car that has been off the road for at least 7 months with a known power steering issue (at a minimum). It is a 2.5 E85 (unknown mileage, condition and spec) so not exactly super sought after.
I would personally put it on the 'bay in an auction with starting bids of £99 and no reserve and take whatever it gets. But then I personally wouldn't have got to this situation in the first place. HTH :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

mrstaggerlee

Post by mrstaggerlee » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:38 pm

Thanks all,

Really do appreciate the feedback. It does sound a bit suspect, but largely from circumstance and timing really.

I think I'll chuck it on the selling page and see if people are keen. No idea really what it's worth to someone, but it would be too much of a pain/stress to sort out at the moment. As a purchase, it's not a very appealing option, and I guess I know it's a solid motor with no other issues, but someone else doesn't (plus ideally someone tows it away - so I think local garages are maybe more set up).

Ebay sounds like a good idea if I don't get any interest. I'm guessing but around £1000-1300 might be reasonable as an ask for a straight purchase. I'm of the mindset I've got my money's worth out of it and would enjoy sorting it out if I had scope, but someone else might be able to benefit.

2006 2.5i Sport Roadster, grey,
87,521 miles . Service history. £1300, open to offers (needs collecting arranged from Bristol)
Includes wind deflector, cream leather seats, CD player with Aux, M Sports cream leather seats, Metallic Paint, Air-Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, Computer, Electric Windows

Comes with a few issues: No MoT (since Feb21), Power steering fails occasionally (needs fixing), Rust on lip of boot lid, scuff on front left bumper. Would require tow/picking up for transport (SORN), arranged by buyer.

Not sure how to put pictures in (maybe I've attached them)
Attachments
z1.jpg
z1.jpg (156.14 KiB) Viewed 810 times
z2.jpg
z2.jpg (155.08 KiB) Viewed 810 times

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:44 pm

Now it's looking like more than a scrap car. :thumbsup: The devil is always in the detail. :) I'm presuming it hasn't got font parking sensors judging by the picture.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

mrstaggerlee

Post by mrstaggerlee » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:01 pm

Ha, well, I did clock that after uploading.

There was a Hilux that parks in the space behind me and I always try to give it max manoeuvre room, given it isn't as spacious garage

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:28 pm

Selll me those seats and doorcards!
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:47 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:28 pm Selll me those seats and doorcards!
Why not just buy the whole car for £1,300 - those parts alone are worth half of that price!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Z450

Post by Z450 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:02 pm

mrstaggerlee wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:38 pm Thanks all,

Really do appreciate the feedback. It does sound a bit suspect, but largely from circumstance and timing really.

I think I'll chuck it on the selling page and see if people are keen. No idea really what it's worth to someone, but it would be too much of a pain/stress to sort out at the moment. As a purchase, it's not a very appealing option, and I guess I know it's a solid motor with no other issues, but someone else doesn't (plus ideally someone tows it away - so I think local garages are maybe more set up).

Ebay sounds like a good idea if I don't get any interest. I'm guessing but around £1000-1300 might be reasonable as an ask for a straight purchase. I'm of the mindset I've got my money's worth out of it and would enjoy sorting it out if I had scope, but someone else might be able to benefit.

2006 2.5i Sport Roadster, grey,
87,521 miles . Service history. £1300, open to offers (needs collecting arranged from Bristol)
Includes wind deflector, cream leather seats, CD player with Aux, M Sports cream leather seats, Metallic Paint, Air-Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, Computer, Electric Windows

Comes with a few issues: No MoT (since Feb21), Power steering fails occasionally (needs fixing), Rust on lip of boot lid, scuff on front left bumper. Would require tow/picking up for transport (SORN), arranged by buyer.

Not sure how to put pictures in (maybe I've attached them)
Sent you a message 👍