Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Owner

First port of call for new members
bagginsludomax

New Owner

Post by bagginsludomax » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:20 pm

Hi all,

I have come to realise photos of your z4 is very much needed, so it's about time I posted my 2003 2.2i.

It's the first car I have ever purchased, and what amazing cars they are, this forum has already taken me down a very expensive rabbit hole. But I'm loving every minute of it!

I've had it about 2 months and have very nearly sorted all of its many slight flaws - roof motor relocation, Retrofit cruise control, oil filter housing gasket leak fixed, restored faded paint and headlights and had all the dents removed - so it is now something I am very proud of!

Thanks to all who post about the things that can go wrong on these cars, and how to stop them getting even worse! It has saved a fortune!
20210916_144554.jpg
20210916_144554.jpg (419.72 KiB) Viewed 810 times
20210916_144603.jpg
20210916_144603.jpg (373.05 KiB) Viewed 810 times

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New Owner

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Welcome. That looks nice.
Have you done all the work yourself?
I'd like to encourage your continued spending by daring to suggest the wheels look a little small. :poke: :D
What mileage has it done? Have you done any engine work?

And so it goes on. :roll:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

New Owner

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:35 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum, lookalike the spend more on it team or out already :rofl:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

New Owner

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:41 pm

Welcome to the forum.
And smart looking z. Some satisfaction about restoring a car to its former glory, isn't there?

And the weather has still been very good for alot of the country,which is great,given its well into September.
Enjoy :driving: :thumbsup:
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Zed Baron

New Owner

Post by Zed Baron » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:14 pm

looking good, hard work paying off :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

New Owner

Post by buzyg » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:47 pm

Looking good, well worth the effort. 8) :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard. :x

bagginsludomax

New Owner

Post by bagginsludomax » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:13 pm

craig3.2 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:41 pm Have you done all the work yourself?
I'd like to encourage your continued spending by daring to suggest the wheels look a little small. :poke: :D
I have done all the mechanical work myself/with a buddy and the roof motor relocation but the bodywork I have left to people who know what they are doing!!

120k miles, no real work on the engine, apart from maintenance, alas I am 22 so if I make any changes I would have to pay obscene amounts to insure the thing - perhaps one day!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New Owner

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:17 pm

Welcome to the forum, and well done for getting stuck in with the mechanical work. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

New Owner

Post by craig3.2 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:07 pm

bagginsludomax wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:13 pm
I have done all the mechanical work myself/with a buddy and the roof motor relocation but the bodywork I have left to people who know what they are doing!!

120k miles, no real work on the engine, apart from maintenance, alas I am 22 so if I make any changes I would have to pay obscene amounts to insure the thing - perhaps one day!
I didn't say this....
Another glitch of the Quick quote?
It was enuff zed I think, looking at the posts earlier.
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

BeeEmm

New Owner

Post by BeeEmm » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:47 pm

Welcome to the forum. That is a nice looking car.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New Owner

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 pm

bagginsludomax wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:13 pm

Yup it was me who asked that question.

Firstly, it's great to have younger members joining in................ though understanding some of the gripes, groans and dad jokes may take you a little while. :roll:

By engine work I was thinking more of preventative and restorative maintenance.
Have a read up on DISA and Vanos overhauls. Stuart (Bigwinn) has done some very good write ups on how to do these jobs.

The DISA valve is constructed from plastic parts and can wear. If it lets go it will pay a visit to the inlet valves: not a good result.
It's very easy to fit an upgraded metal flap and spindle and a relatively cheap mod for peace of mind.

The Vanos is the gearing on the front of the cylinder head that governs the variable valve timing. It does this by means of pistons operated by oil pressure. The seals in the vanos are not really up to the job and by now will have degraded so that oil is sneaking past rather than moving the pistons. Some of the effect of this is masked by the ECU 'adaptations'. Fitting an overhaul kit by a company such as X8R will revitalise your engine, making it smoother idling and regaining BHP you didn't know you'd lost. I was sceptical the first time I did one, but now it is one of the first jobs on my list!

Sounds like you're not afraid to dive in and do stuff, but if you do need help or just some encouragement, it may help to say roughly where you are and there'll possibly be a member nearby who's happy to help out.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bagginsludomax

New Owner

Post by bagginsludomax » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:49 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 pm By engine work I was thinking more of preventative and restorative maintenance.
Have a read up on DISA and Vanos overhauls. Stuart (Bigwinn) has done some very good write ups on how to do these jobs.
Here's hoping the quick reply thing works this time around!

I haven't done any work to the engine except replacing oil seals - thanks for these two suggestions - have been reading into it and seems like a good idea to sort as soon as i can! Would always much rather do the preventative work than fix any aftermath. The DISA valve kits seem relatively self explanatory but the Vanos ones on X8R seem to have so many different varieties - there are 8 different kits with varying numbers of gaskets, bolts, bearings and other seals from £30-150 - https://x8r.co.uk/bmw/bmw-vanos-repair-kits.html - I must say i have no idea which I would need/are a good idea to replace!

Any advice would be very well received!!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New Owner

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:04 pm

bagginsludomax wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:49 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 pm By engine work I was thinking more of preventative and restorative maintenance.

I haven't done any work to the engine except replacing oil seals - thanks for these two suggestions - have been reading into it and seems like a good idea to sort as soon as i can! Would always much rather do the preventative work than fix any aftermath. The DISA valve kits seem relatively self explanatory but the Vanos ones on X8R seem to have so many different varieties - there are 8 different kits with varying numbers of gaskets, bolts, bearings and other seals from £30-150 - https://x8r.co.uk/bmw/bmw-vanos-repair-kits.html - I must say i have no idea which I would need/are a good idea to replace!

X8R0166 is the one I got. It comes with all the seals etc too.
You could use the 0165 kit and not bother with the needle bearings and rattle rings, but if you're keeping it you may as well do the lot while you're in there.
I believe if you use the code 'VALUED' you should get 10% off.

bagginsludomax

New Owner

Post by bagginsludomax » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:58 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:04 pm

You could use the 0165 kit and not bother with the needle bearings and rattle rings, but if you're keeping it you may as well do the lot while you're in there.
Right - I have a DISA valve and the X8R0166 Vanos upgrade kit on its way! Discount code worked great :D Fingers crossed I won't destroy the car in the process! The instructions they provide seem pretty fool proof. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New Owner

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:04 am

bagginsludomax wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:58 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:04 pm

Right - I have a DISA valve and the X8R0166 Vanos upgrade kit on its way! Discount code worked great :D Fingers crossed I won't destroy the car in the process! The instructions they provide seem pretty fool proof. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!!
Both jobs are fairly straightforward if you take your time and plan ahead.
Do some research into the vanos before you start, in particular the left hand thread bolts which are quite small and fiddly.
Also look into the various methods of gaining clearance for the vanos unit to come off the studs. Some lever the cross-member a little: I was doing the water pump and belts at the same time, so I elected to undo the RH engine mount and jack the engine up little. Either way works.
When you take the top cover off you may well find the rubber gasket has turned brittle. Before you try to remove it all, block off any oil-ways on the head as it will shatter and ping all over the place.
Lots of others have done this job before, so there'll always be someone to shout for help if you get stuck.

EDIT: The ECU learns and adapts to the way the vanos is operating and makes small adjustments. This means that when you first tart the engine after overhauling it, you may well find it runs rough for a little while. This should soon settle down. You will then, I believe, notice a difference in the smoothness of the idle and the power delivery. This will increase over the next 100 miles or so as all the new parts get to know each other.