Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Jumping from a M140i to MX5

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
gov

Post by gov » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:42 pm

I had similar thoughts on a Boxster - but again there are a lot about - my mate had a red 2006 low mileage red 3.2S - great performance and looks but cost him a fortune when anything went wrong - I seem to recall you're not freakishly tall like me ( no offence ) so you should fit in a Boxster or MX5 easily - I couldn't get in either :lol:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:46 pm

Hi Tim,
I would expect your Beemer to fetch the best money, comparatively, as low mileage still carries a premium.
I recently sold a car through Motorway (there is a thread on here about it). I got the best (trade) price and it was very easy, plus there are no fees as the buyer pays them.
The offer from M1k3yC sounds a good idea too. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:17 pm

I think that’s a great idea Tim, I’d love an MX5, they’re a lovely little sports car and every car journalist out there raves at them :thumbsup:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:14 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciate your thoughts :thumbsup:

I'm just tinkering with vaues on the M140i at present and probably looking to sell in a couple of weeks. A little bit surpised at WBAC value alongside Motorway which is 3K down on Motorway. Having said that WBAC's valuation has increased by 2k since June so values are steadily creeping up, I'm just wandering when the bubble will burst so maybe not wait too long before selling.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:37 pm

M1k3yC wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:31 pm TitanTim, hi Tim - would you like a close up look at my MX-5? It's a 2016 ND 2.0 Sport Recaro. I believe that you're based in Stafford so this would be easy to arrange. Also happy to take you out in it. It's currently standard, but I intend to start discussions with BBR about modifying it next spring. I've already been taken out for a drive by someone with exactly the same model but the BBR Super 200 package added to it.

I can also talk to you about my experience of moving on my M135i and the comparison of both vehicles. My M135i was very late (2016), three door manual, and low (sub 20k) mileage so I would expect your M140i to fetch a bit more - might be a useful indication for you at least.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for reaching out, thats really kind of you and may take you up upon the offer :thumbsup:

I'm just thinking at the moment where the best place would be to actually source a good low mileage example depending on what I get for the M140 as it will be prety much a cash sale.

Looking at Mazda used approved I may steer clear of these cars going by experience with BMW as used approved doesn't guarantee anything in relation to condition.

Cinch appear to have a decent array of examples but unsure about buying blind if a good idea or not. Also need to consider between the 1.5 and 2.0 Sport based on condition, mileage, purchase price etc, there's a few decent looking 1 owner examples on there at the moment.

Tim.

M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:22 pm

TitanTim wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:37 pm
I'm just thinking at the moment where the best place would be to actually source a good low mileage example depending on what I get for the M140 as it will be prety much a cash sale.

Looking at Mazda used approved I may steer clear of these cars going by experience with BMW as used approved doesn't guarantee anything in relation to condition.
Try the Owners Club forum classifieds: https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk/c/buy-and-sel ... or-sale/42

I'm a paid up MX5OC member and have started attending meets.

Mine was from a dealer, which allowed me to (eventually) get the nav SD card replaced for nothing as it wasn't working when I collected the car.

I don't think that you need to be an OC member to join and post on the forum. Like this forum, there are plenty of helpful members that will offer you buying advice. Unfortunately, used prices of MX-5s have risen just like everything else.

If you decide that you'd like to see mine, just drop me a PM - I'm always happy for an excuse to drive it!
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:09 pm

M1k3yC wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:22 pm
TitanTim wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:37 pm

Try the Owners Club forum classifieds: https://forum.mx5oc.co.uk/c/buy-and-sel ... or-sale/42

I'm a paid up MX5OC member and have started attending meets.

Mine was from a dealer, which allowed me to (eventually) get the nav SD card replaced for nothing as it wasn't working when I collected the car.

I don't think that you need to be an OC member to join and post on the forum. Like this forum, there are plenty of helpful members that will offer you buying advice. Unfortunately, used prices of MX-5s have risen just like everything else.

If you decide that you'd like to see mine, just drop me a PM - I'm always happy for an excuse to drive it!
Thanks again Mike, appreciate your advice and help, I'll get myself subscribed to the owners club and have a nose around. Been browsing the Mazda Used approved site today although there's not a great deal out there at present thats reasonably local and around the years I'm looking at but will keep my eye out over the next few weeks.

Need to dig the M140i out and take some decent photo's and take it from there and hopefully I'll have a better idea what's in my price range :)

Tim.

SiJar

Post by SiJar » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:53 pm

Whatever you do DO NOT buy a MX5 they do not have enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding. I can speak from experience and owned one for 6 months and it was the most over rated car that I have ever owned (and I have had 46 cars). I could not wait to get into something else and was so embarrassed about owning one! Trust me look for something else.
Z4///MC

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:33 am

SiJar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:53 pm Whatever you do DO NOT buy a MX5 they do not have enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding. I can speak from experience and owned one for 6 months and it was the most over rated car that I have ever owned (and I have had 46 cars). I could not wait to get into something else and was so embarrassed about owning one! Trust me look for something else.
What a load of tosh. :P

Bottom

Post by Bottom » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:33 pm

SiJar wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:53 pm Whatever you do DO NOT buy a MX5 they do not have enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding. I can speak from experience and owned one for 6 months and it was the most over rated car that I have ever owned (and I have had 46 cars). I could not wait to get into something else and was so embarrassed about owning one! Trust me look for something else.
Sounds like bollocks to me, albeit I may be slightly biased as I've had 3 MX5s, but go on then, which model was it? The detuned 1.6 NA?

Completely unlike say turbo diesels they need to be revved out to get any performance from them, the joy is from keeping the car in the sweet spot of the rev range and using the well balanced handling to carry as much speed through the corners as you can. If you try to drive one like a point and squirt TDI you'll be very disappointed.

If I think back to the top 10 best drives of my life then at least half of them were in an MX5 of some sort. :driving:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:36 pm

Agree it's not about outright power and I guess depends on the type of roads you enjoy driving on. For me the cars that have given me the most smile factor are lower powered cars mated to a decent chassis that you can use the revs and not feel the car is running away with you. I've not owned zillions of cars but the MK1 MR2, the little Suzuki Cappuccino I owned above with its turbo charged 660cc 3 cylinder and rear drive was a hoot around country lanes, you could floor it and you wouldn't be going that fast but the chassis was just right for the engine power.

My M140i is pretty rapid but it's a car that I know if it bit back it would be hefty price to pay and as such not enjoyable at times. Rapid in a straight line but the drive is always a cautious one on twisty roads.

I would probably be looking at the 1.5 in the MX5 as I understand it revs more freely than the 2.0, all part of the fun :)

Tim.

M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:05 pm

TitanTim wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:36 pm
I would probably be looking at the 1.5 in the MX5 as I understand it revs more freely than the 2.0, all part of the fun :)
That seems to be the MX-5 forum consensus. However, I have the 2.0 and regularly use the entire rev range - it never feels unwilling to oblige. I haven't driven a 1.5.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:42 pm

TitanTim wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:36 pm Agree it's not about outright power and I guess depends on the type of roads you enjoy driving on. For me the cars that have given me the most smile factor are lower powered cars mated to a decent chassis that you can use the revs and not feel the car is running away with you. I've not owned zillions of cars but the MK1 MR2, the little Suzuki Cappuccino I owned above with its turbo charged 660cc 3 cylinder and rear drive was a hoot around country lanes, you could floor it and you wouldn't be going that fast but the chassis was just right for the engine power.

My M140i is pretty rapid but it's a car that I know if it bit back it would be hefty price to pay and as such not enjoyable at times. Rapid in a straight line but the drive is always a cautious one on twisty roads.

Tim.
I always liked the Suzuki Cappuccino . :thumbsup: Shame I would need two to travel any distance. One for each foot. :D :wink: