Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

August photo competition low voter turnout

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:41 pm

Guys, the August comp hit what is, in recent times anyway, a new low of only 29 votes. Compared to the number of regular users on the site, it’s a really low percentage.

Is everyone fatigued with the competition or the format? Thoughts please.

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:58 pm

I just generally don't see the vote. I have to go to the gallery when I remember. Be good to have it always on the home section / page, or failing that, I quite liked the option to vote for 2.

SV8Predator

Post by SV8Predator » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:03 pm

Where do you see the voting?
2012 Z4 2.0 M-Sport Atacama Yellow
2000 Z3 3.0
2016 Vauxhall GTC Sunny Melon Yellow
2000 Jaguar X308 Sovereign 4.0
1969 Jensen Interceptor 6.3 litre

TheDan

Post by TheDan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:04 pm

idej_z4 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:58 pm I just generally don't see the vote. I have to go to the gallery when I remember.
This is the same for me. I love the photo comp, I just forget about having to find the voting thread. I agree completely with idej_z4, it would be good to have it on the home page as well as some months where you can vote for 2 if there are >20 entries (or 3 if there are >30 entries).

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:07 pm

Same- what these guys said if it was a bit more visible you’d have all sorts of z4 spam from me!!!

:D
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Haggisman

Post by Haggisman » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:14 pm

+ 1 for more visibility, love seeing these photos.
2003 Toledo Blue 3.0 E85 Manual
2008 Volvo V50 - Dog Car
2020 Kia Sportage GT - Her Indoor’s Car
1995 Dakar Yellow M3 E36 Race Car - Sold
2009 Vauxhall Astra VXR - Sold
2003 350Z well modded - Sold
1992 911 RS - Sold and still in mourning

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:20 pm

Agree with the above. :thumbsup: A victim of it's own demise, in that the less people vote the less it appears on the New posts list. Most users, my self included, don't go looking for topics. They simply jump on those listed towards the top of New Posts, so it gets missed. The best part of the competition used to be entry on to the annual Calendar. Alas economics killed that incentive off. Perhaps a revival of the calendar :) and a push to get some of the newer members buying might work.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:26 pm

It does appear each month in all the forums in the top section, where the announcements are. The competition is currently stickied there.

Even if you vote it doesn’t appear in new posts, that only happens when it gets bumped with a reminder to vote.

We have voted for three rather than one previously, but good idea to increase the number of votes with the number of entries.

What about if we encouraged posts on the voting thread - who voted for what, and why? Or even just a post to bump it up in ‘new posts.’

I think the last time out for the calendar was fatal - far too many voted to say they would buy it, and then didn’t. The only way to make it work would be payment in advance, non-refundable.

TheDan

Post by TheDan » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:30 pm

Wondermike wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:26 pm I think the last time out for the calendar was fatal - far too many voted to say they would buy it, and then didn’t. The only way to make it work would be payment in advance, non-refundable.
I think an incentive to play and vote like getting your photo in the calendar could be achieved by other means such as getting each month's winning photo set as the homepage header image for the following month. Or an idea akin to that.

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:35 pm

Wondermike wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:26 pm It does appear each month in all the forums in the top section, where the announcements are. The competition is currently stickied there.

Even if you vote it doesn’t appear in new posts, that only happens when it gets bumped with a reminder to vote.

We have voted for three rather than one previously, but good idea to increase the number of votes with the number of entries.

What about if we encouraged posts on the voting thread - who voted for what, and why? Or even just a post to bump it up in ‘new posts.’

I think the last time out for the calendar was fatal - far too many voted to say they would buy it, and then didn’t. The only way to make it work would be payment in advance, non-refundable.
Bumping it up regularly in the new post section is a good idea. I like the idea of being able to vote and then leave a comment saying why I voted for a pic. That would keep it appearing for people.

It would be good to have some sort of kudos for winning, even if the calendar is a bit too far. Like TheDan said, homeoage banner or maybe a badge on your profile for one month. Could work like world cups the more wins you get the better the badge. Loads of different things you could do with it within the forum.

Edit - you could just change the star status to a different colour and set it to 'photo comp winner' instead of senior member, lifer, etc, etc

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:45 pm

Assuming it would be refundable only if it was not produced. Then just tell me where to sign for next years calendar. I still have the last one hanging in the study. :oops:

A bump into new posts with each vote would increase visibility of the competition for sure.

Featuring the wining picture in the forum the following month also seems like a good incentive to both enter and vote. :thumbsup:

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:13 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

There is an option on the poll that only allows a vote if you have posted - that would mean it gets plenty of bumps, as long as people vote in the first place.

Should we try that next time around to see if it works? You can only vote if you post in the thread.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:17 pm

Does that mean that only those posting a photo get to vote? :?

If so you'd get less than 29 votes most months!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Phippy

Post by Phippy » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:19 pm

It’s also literally the one month that most people are on holiday too, probably why the numbers hit a new low…. No need to distract yourself from work quite so much!

I wouldn’t say no to more of an incentive to try to win, but then that’s my competitive side coming out!
2008 BMW Z4 3.0SI Sport Coupe
2013 VW T5.1 Camper - Built not bought

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:37 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:17 pm Does that mean that only those posting a photo get to vote? :?

If so you'd get less than 29 votes most months!
No, just need to post in the voting thread. It’s one way of continually bumping it. So either say who you voted for, or what ones you like, or even just bump! I’m not certain yet if it’s a good idea but might try it once to see.

:D