Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Diff seals

"M" Specific discussion
Rossm09

Diff seals

Post by Rossm09 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:27 pm

Quick one to ask about diff seals - had the input diff seal replaced a few months ago while having my insp 2 as they said was leaking oil - a mechanic friend popped the car on the ramp this morning to do CDV delete - notice diff oil, without taking down exhaust etc he couldn’t see exactly where from but said as far as he’s aware there would be only 3 seals, 1 on the prop input and then out either side of drive shaft of which those two seals were too far back from where the oil is to be them, is this correct? I’m obviously suspecting a faulty seal etc they used unless there are multiply seals on the input ?

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Diff seals

Post by GuidoK » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:57 pm

It could also leak from the rear lid seal or the fill/drain seal.

Clean the diff asap and over time look at where the leakage comes from.
The input shaft seal is the known seal to start leaking, but: no info on mileage, and a mechanic has touched the diff, so everything he touched could be leaking...
Impossible to diagnose from behind a keyboard.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Rossm09

Diff seals

Post by Rossm09 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:13 pm

Only 51k - was more to establish any other seals that could be or known to leak etc going to get it back in with bmw 👍