Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

Discussing the current generation Z4
Post Reply
Online
User avatar
Scubaregs
Member
Member
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:36 am

Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

Post by Scubaregs » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:31 pm

Blind spot warning is very good indeed, however as a biker of 40 years I still do a life saver.
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

User avatar
Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 3135
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
Location: Argyll & Bute

Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:53 pm

blaster1956 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:12 pm Thanks for the feedback ronk/Andy. :thumbsup:

I think based on my use of the car as mainly a spring/summer car - think weekend jaunts, with a few longer UK holidays and European road trips thrown in, I wouldn’t necessarily get much value from adaptive headlights or heated steering wheel - (in fact I never once used the heated steering wheel in my full fat E89!). I’m personally not a big fan of Cruise Control either, so wouldn’t miss that I feel. Keyless entry I’ve never had, so in the interests of keeping costs down I’d probably not go for the comfort pack, but I have specified the Wind Deflector.

Tech Pack does sound interesting though, anyone use the Parking Aid or is it a gimmick? I like the sound of the blind spot warning function in the driver assistance pack (although not much else in that pack tbh!) - would be interested in any feedback as to how useful the driver assistance pack is.

Interestingly I follow Bimmerpost as well and there have been reports of Z4 orders having their HUD option removed in the States because of the chip shortage, not clear if that is just an isolated issue with the HUD or indicative of a wider problem with the technology pack.
Blaster, I’m not a big user of cruise but I have to say the adaptive cruise is one of the most impressive things I’ve discovered on the car. I was discussing this with Ori last night. The huge advantage I’VE found is I definitely feel less tired when driving in traffic with it on.

I haven’t used any of the parking aids because I’m obviously too old and still have a total distrust of it and don’t want the result to be a crunching sound :lol: but Ori also said last night it’s fantastic and works very well.

The type of driving I do I don’t think I’ve had the blind spot system trigger so can’t comment.

Re the Technology pack and deletions we’ve discussed on and off here about the chip shortage and what it’s affecting and the one that keeps raising its head is the 3rd party supplied H&K systems are struggling because of the chip shortage and it’s that causing the issue, not anything to do with a HUD issue.

I personally wouldn’t order one of these cars without the wind deflector and Technology pack, everything else I could live without. I took the wind deflector out on the test drive to see the difference and it was measurable and also as mentioned I like my music and the better quality sound system is a must for me :thumbsup:
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (here for a while)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

    User avatar
    blaster1956
    Newbie
    Newbie
    Posts: 42
    Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 pm
    Location: Warwickshire

    Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

    Post by blaster1956 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:37 pm

    Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:53 pm
    blaster1956 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:12 pm Thanks for the feedback ronk/Andy. :thumbsup:

    I think based on my use of the car as mainly a spring/summer car - think weekend jaunts, with a few longer UK holidays and European road trips thrown in, I wouldn’t necessarily get much value from adaptive headlights or heated steering wheel - (in fact I never once used the heated steering wheel in my full fat E89!). I’m personally not a big fan of Cruise Control either, so wouldn’t miss that I feel. Keyless entry I’ve never had, so in the interests of keeping costs down I’d probably not go for the comfort pack, but I have specified the Wind Deflector.

    Tech Pack does sound interesting though, anyone use the Parking Aid or is it a gimmick? I like the sound of the blind spot warning function in the driver assistance pack (although not much else in that pack tbh!) - would be interested in any feedback as to how useful the driver assistance pack is.

    Interestingly I follow Bimmerpost as well and there have been reports of Z4 orders having their HUD option removed in the States because of the chip shortage, not clear if that is just an isolated issue with the HUD or indicative of a wider problem with the technology pack.
    Blaster, I’m not a big user of cruise but I have to say the adaptive cruise is one of the most impressive things I’ve discovered on the car. I was discussing this with Ori last night. The huge advantage I’VE found is I definitely feel less tired when driving in traffic with it on.

    I haven’t used any of the parking aids because I’m obviously too old and still have a total distrust of it and don’t want the result to be a crunching sound :lol: but Ori also said last night it’s fantastic and works very well.

    The type of driving I do I don’t think I’ve had the blind spot system trigger so can’t comment.

    Re the Technology pack and deletions we’ve discussed on and off here about the chip shortage and what it’s affecting and the one that keeps raising its head is the 3rd party supplied H&K systems are struggling because of the chip shortage and it’s that causing the issue, not anything to do with a HUD issue.

    I personally wouldn’t order one of these cars without the wind deflector and Technology pack, everything else I could live without. I took the wind deflector out on the test drive to see the difference and it was measurable and also as mentioned I like my music and the better quality sound system is a must for me :thumbsup:
    Thanks Andy - that's interesting feedback on Active Cruise Control, I maybe need to give that some more thought. I'm with you on Parking Aid, could I really trust it? I'm not sure I could!!

    I think if the tech pack was going to cause further delays I would probably go without it tbh, while I don't mind a March/April delivery, any longer than that without a Zed would kill me! :driving:
    Currently Zedless
    G29 M40i - Misano Blue - on order since September 2021
    E89 sDrive 20i M Sport - Sapphire Black - Sold August 2021
    E89 sDrive 20i Roadster - Crimson Red - Sold 2018
    E85 2.0i Sport - Stratus Grey - Sold 2014

    Ian J
    Member
    Member
    Posts: 106
    Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:28 pm
    Location: Tamworth

    Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

    Post by Ian J » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:01 pm

    sars wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:33 am
    I’m not a fan of adaptive headlights so did not go with the visibility pack.
    My first experience of adaptive headlights was on a hire car in Estreito da Calheta, Madeira.

    The approach to our villa was along a very narrow unlit road not much wider than the car and then a very sharp left down what felt like almost a sheer drop and it would have been much more difficult to manage at night had it not been for the adaptive headlights that "turned" left as did the car

    ori
    Member
    Member
    Posts: 370
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:04 pm

    Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

    Post by ori » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:14 pm

    sars wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:41 am
    ori wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:03 pm Checked with BMW today. Car should be going into production next week. I can’t bloody wait. Delivery still scheduled for week of 25th oct.
    What date did you place your order Ori, mine was 14th June, delivery is also scheduled for the last week in October
    I think I ordered mine first week of June.
    Think we will get ours the same week! ;)

    G29Z4
    Newbie
    Newbie
    Posts: 16
    Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:19 pm

    Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

    Post by G29Z4 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:16 pm

    Worrying…..just tried BMW’s site and it says no new cars available. I put in a budget 0-£50,000 which should cover everything.

    ori
    Member
    Member
    Posts: 370
    Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:04 pm

    Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

    Post by ori » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:16 pm

    blaster1956 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:22 am Ori / Sars - what options did you spec on your cars? My M40i order is currently poverty spec (bar a wind deflector), but just wondering if all options are still currently available to order in case I decide to add any later!
    I went for shadowline, tech, comfort, and driver assistance packs.
    Only things missing from the packs due to chip shortage are digital key and wireless charging.

    Mr Tidy
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Posts: 16740
    Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm
    Location: Sandhurst, Berkshire

    Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

    Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:21 pm

    It's good to read that most G29 buyers are ticking plenty of option boxes on their orders. :thumbsup:

    That way you'll enjoy your cars that bit more and whilst you probably don't care future owners of them will be grateful!

    It's just a shame so many E86 buyers didn't, especially when I look at how little some of them cost at the time.
    Coupes because stunning!
    Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
    Gone - Montego Blue
    Gone - Ruby Black

    User avatar
    Obs-Com
    Member
    Member
    Posts: 295
    Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:41 am
    Location: Bolton

    Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

    Post by Obs-Com » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:30 pm

    Ian J wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:01 pm
    sars wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:33 am
    I’m not a fan of adaptive headlights so did not go with the visibility pack.
    My first experience of adaptive headlights was on a hire car in Estreito da Calheta, Madeira.

    The approach to our villa was along a very narrow unlit road not much wider than the car and then a very sharp left down what felt like almost a sheer drop and it would have been much more difficult to manage at night had it not been for the adaptive headlights that "turned" left as did the car
    The First Editions come with Adaptive LEDs and probably wouldn’t have specked it myself TBH. Having had it though, I will probably look to have it every time if possible from now on. The transformation in available light is amazing as it not so much the lights moving around when cornering, its more about different parts of each light turning on off as they adapt to their surroundings.

    I drove home at night from Eurotunnel recently and the illumination of the road really helped a lot. The way the main beam stay on on one side whilst off on the other, switch off when approaching cars from behind and cut out one element at a time is brilliant. Very clever and not once was I flashed by any other cars.
    2011-14: E89 2.3sDrive
    2014-16: E89 35is - Valencia Orange X2 (gone but not forgotten)
    2016-17: F33 440i
    2017-17: E85 2.5si
    2017-19: F87 M2 - Long Beach Blue DCT (Stunning)
    2019-??: G29 M40i First Edition (more stunning than the M2)

    baljemmett
    Newbie
    Newbie
    Posts: 3
    Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:10 pm

    Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

    Post by baljemmett » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:50 am

    Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:53 pm Re the Technology pack and deletions we’ve discussed on and off here about the chip shortage and what it’s affecting and the one that keeps raising its head is the 3rd party supplied H&K systems are struggling because of the chip shortage and it’s that causing the issue, not anything to do with a HUD issue.
    This may have changed recently - I noticed when playing around with the configurator earlier in the week that you can no longer spec the tech pack on anything except the M40i. You can, however, spec the HK sound system and the parking assistant as individual options across the range, so it's just the HUD that's unavailable on the base models. Digital Key, enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging and the wifi hotspot look like they're still missing from all models.

    I'm hoping orders-in-flight will be unaffected by the changes but will be asking my dealer if they know one way or the other when I take my 2-series in for a service on Friday. They did let me know yesterday that my sDrive20i (with tech, comfort and driving assistant packs) ordered in July has been brought forward by about a month; now looking like it might be here in late November instead of sometime during the week before Christmas!

    User avatar
    Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer
    Posts: 3135
    Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
    Location: Argyll & Bute

    Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

    Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:22 am

    baljemmett wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:50 am
    Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:53 pm Re the Technology pack and deletions we’ve discussed on and off here about the chip shortage and what it’s affecting and the one that keeps raising its head is the 3rd party supplied H&K systems are struggling because of the chip shortage and it’s that causing the issue, not anything to do with a HUD issue.
    This may have changed recently - I noticed when playing around with the configurator earlier in the week that you can no longer spec the tech pack on anything except the M40i. You can, however, spec the HK sound system and the parking assistant as individual options across the range, so it's just the HUD that's unavailable on the base models. Digital Key, enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging and the wifi hotspot look like they're still missing from all models.

    I'm hoping orders-in-flight will be unaffected by the changes but will be asking my dealer if they know one way or the other when I take my 2-series in for a service on Friday. They did let me know yesterday that my sDrive20i (with tech, comfort and driving assistant packs) ordered in July has been brought forward by about a month; now looking like it might be here in late November instead of sometime during the week before Christmas!
    TBH I didn’t really around with the configurator apart from with the M40i so it was only really packs I was looking at, not individual options.

    The way my dealer explained it to me was that 3 weeks before build date everything needed to build the car was ordered and put on a pallet(s) and it was only at that point anything unavailable would be identified unless it was a known problem and may be identified earlier.

    Good news about your build slot being moved forward :thumbsup:
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (here for a while)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

      User avatar
      Roadster_Surrey
      Newbie
      Newbie
      Posts: 45
      Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:45 pm
      Location: Surrey, UK

      Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

      Post by Roadster_Surrey » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:45 am

      Obs-Com wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:30 pm The First Editions come with Adaptive LEDs and probably wouldn’t have specked it myself TBH. Having had it though, I will probably look to have it every time if possible from now on. The transformation in available light is amazing as it not so much the lights moving around when cornering, its more about different parts of each light turning on off as they adapt to their surroundings.

      I drove home at night from Eurotunnel recently and the illumination of the road really helped a lot. The way the main beam stay on on one side whilst off on the other, switch off when approaching cars from behind and cut out one element at a time is brilliant. Very clever and not once was I flashed by any other cars.
      I had Audi Matrix lights in two cars and I was flashed on Autobahn by lorry drivers in Germany. When they were too far away, lights didn't switch off, but they could see me already and then flashed at me. Now have standard led lights on two cars and they are ok. Today, is my first drive through the night in Z4, so will see how it goes.
      BMW Z4 sDrive 20i M Sport 2021 Image

      User avatar
      blaster1956
      Newbie
      Newbie
      Posts: 42
      Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:34 pm
      Location: Warwickshire

      Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

      Post by blaster1956 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:39 am

      baljemmett wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:50 am
      Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:53 pm Re the Technology pack and deletions we’ve discussed on and off here about the chip shortage and what it’s affecting and the one that keeps raising its head is the 3rd party supplied H&K systems are struggling because of the chip shortage and it’s that causing the issue, not anything to do with a HUD issue.
      This may have changed recently - I noticed when playing around with the configurator earlier in the week that you can no longer spec the tech pack on anything except the M40i. You can, however, spec the HK sound system and the parking assistant as individual options across the range, so it's just the HUD that's unavailable on the base models. Digital Key, enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging and the wifi hotspot look like they're still missing from all models.

      I'm hoping orders-in-flight will be unaffected by the changes but will be asking my dealer if they know one way or the other when I take my 2-series in for a service on Friday. They did let me know yesterday that my sDrive20i (with tech, comfort and driving assistant packs) ordered in July has been brought forward by about a month; now looking like it might be here in late November instead of sometime during the week before Christmas!
      Glad to see someone else spends all weekend playing with the Z4 configurator :rofl:

      Just been going into this a bit further as part of my decision as to what packs and options to add to my M40i. Looking at the configurator there are definitely a few inconsistencies regarding the Tech pack, and I suspect the configurator updates have not yet fully caught up with reality.

      If configuring a Sport/Msport then the Tech Package still shows on the configurator as a £1,800 option (which I believe has always been the price), but the equipment listed is only the Harmon Kardon Sound, and the Parking Assistant, no HUD listed (even though the photo for the Pack still shows the HUD!!!). As you say this option can no longer be selected, but you can select Harmon Kardon (£400) and Parking Assistant (£500) as individual options.

      If configuring an M40i the Tech Package still shows all 3 (Harmon Kardon, Parking Assistant and HUD) and is shown also as a £1,800 option, however if you actually add the Tech Pack (Which you are allowed to do on the M40), the actual price added is £1,600 (£200 reduction) and all 3 options are successfully added to the configuration.

      So not sure what to make of all this, I suspect HUD may also get removed from the M40i as well, but hopefully not for those that already have it on their order and have a build slot.
      Currently Zedless
      G29 M40i - Misano Blue - on order since September 2021
      E89 sDrive 20i M Sport - Sapphire Black - Sold August 2021
      E89 sDrive 20i Roadster - Crimson Red - Sold 2018
      E85 2.0i Sport - Stratus Grey - Sold 2014

      User avatar
      Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer
      Posts: 3135
      Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:16 pm
      Location: Argyll & Bute

      Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

      Post by Argyll Andy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:37 am

      blaster1956 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:39 am
      baljemmett wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:50 am
      Argyll Andy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:53 pm Re the Technology pack and deletions we’ve discussed on and off here about the chip shortage and what it’s affecting and the one that keeps raising its head is the 3rd party supplied H&K systems are struggling because of the chip shortage and it’s that causing the issue, not anything to do with a HUD issue.
      This may have changed recently - I noticed when playing around with the configurator earlier in the week that you can no longer spec the tech pack on anything except the M40i. You can, however, spec the HK sound system and the parking assistant as individual options across the range, so it's just the HUD that's unavailable on the base models. Digital Key, enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging and the wifi hotspot look like they're still missing from all models.

      I'm hoping orders-in-flight will be unaffected by the changes but will be asking my dealer if they know one way or the other when I take my 2-series in for a service on Friday. They did let me know yesterday that my sDrive20i (with tech, comfort and driving assistant packs) ordered in July has been brought forward by about a month; now looking like it might be here in late November instead of sometime during the week before Christmas!
      Glad to see someone else spends all weekend playing with the Z4 configurator :rofl:

      Just been going into this a bit further as part of my decision as to what packs and options to add to my M40i. Looking at the configurator there are definitely a few inconsistencies regarding the Tech pack, and I suspect the configurator updates have not yet fully caught up with reality.

      If configuring a Sport/Msport then the Tech Package still shows on the configurator as a £1,800 option (which I believe has always been the price), but the equipment listed is only the Harmon Kardon Sound, and the Parking Assistant, no HUD listed (even though the photo for the Pack still shows the HUD!!!). As you say this option can no longer be selected, but you can select Harmon Kardon (£400) and Parking Assistant (£500) as individual options.

      If configuring an M40i the Tech Package still shows all 3 (Harmon Kardon, Parking Assistant and HUD) and is shown also as a £1,800 option, however if you actually add the Tech Pack (Which you are allowed to do on the M40), the actual price added is £1,600 (£200 reduction) and all 3 options are successfully added to the configuration.

      So not sure what to make of all this, I suspect HUD may also get removed from the M40i as well, but hopefully not for those that already have it on their order and have a build slot.
      You’re both not alone by any manner of means, I was on daily until we actually ordered ours :oops:

      Now this is from memory so may not be accurate. When first deciding I once fully spec’d a 30i for a price comparison to the M40i and I’m sure on models other than the M40i there was a Tech and a Tech plus pack. It was the plus one that included the HUD.

      I paid the aforementioned £1800 for my Tech pack but Ori (and Sars I think) paid £1600 for there’s. The £200 difference is for the deletion of keyless entry and wireless charging (again I think) the rest of the pack remains. Ori phoned me on Friday to say the car’s ready for production so it’s safe to assume no further deletions took place.

      I agree, HUD and other things may be deleted from future build as long as the chip shortage is still around.

      As a total topic change here, went out last night in the dark and oh my word, what a difference those adaptive LED’s make. I live very rurally and the illumination of the sides of the roads particularly was fantastic. Never got flashed once and was behind many cars for short periods. They picked out a fox that I may have missed previously so in a repair context they’ve possibly just paid for themselves :thumbsup:
        G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (here for a while)
        E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone to a good home)
        E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

        User avatar
        ronk
        Lifer
        Lifer
        Posts: 12288
        Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am
        Location: Durham

        Have we just taken possession of the last Z4’s

        Post by ronk » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:45 am

        I bet they find the chips to control the speed limiting devices they are to be fitting next year!

        From what I’ve read, the speed sign reading tech is to be linked to the speed limiter system on the car.
        You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
        So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

        Post Reply