Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Barty's Green Z4 Coupé - Not another one…

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Barty

Barty's Green Z4 Coupé - Aero Mods and Interior Upgrades

Post by Barty » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:14 pm

Thanks for the kind words Calps! :thumbsup: Hope you’re successful in sourcing the template, looking forward to your results 8)

Griffo46, I must disagree, but only because I enjoy the unique, rare and slightly quirky nature of the E86 in the BMW history. :lol:

Can’t quite think of anything similar over the last two decades, which is why they’re so great to spot in the wild as well as work on. The platform really lends itself to both originality and personalisation, whereas most cars you should either leave stock because personalising them often ruin the looks, or the base model is just so plain boring that it begs for a personal touch. Weirdly, the Zed (both the coupe and roadster) manages to be great either way! And when you do spot one on the road, it always feels a bit special. Let’s keep it that way :wink:
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

Griffo46

Post by Griffo46 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:09 am

Barty wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:14 pm Thanks for the kind words Calps! :thumbsup: Hope you’re successful in sourcing the template, looking forward to your results 8)

Griffo46, I must disagree, but only because I enjoy the unique, rare and slightly quirky nature of the E86 in the BMW history. :lol:

Can’t quite think of anything similar over the last two decades, which is why they’re so great to spot in the wild as well as work on. The platform really lends itself to both originality and personalisation, whereas most cars you should either leave stock because personalising them often ruin the looks, or the base model is just so plain boring that it begs for a personal touch. Weirdly, the Zed (both the coupe and roadster) manages to be great either way! And when you do spot one on the road, it always feels a bit special. Let’s keep it that way :wink:
Great words, the rarity of these machines IS what makes them so amazing, your right!
2007 3.0si Roadster Stratus Grey/ Red Leather
2016 520d F10 M Sport Space Grey

LemonConnoisseur

Post by LemonConnoisseur » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:08 am

Great thread Barty! I said it before, but I'll say it again, that Aero diffuser is gorgeous. Really complements the small spoiler on the rear by making the rear end look that little bit more aggressive 8)

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:29 am

looks bloody great Barty :) :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

Barty

Post by Barty » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:47 pm

LemonConnoisseur, Vanne, thanks guys :thumbsup:

The rear end is pretty much where I want it. Sides too with the Aeros. Now it’s time for the nose to follow suit 8)

Z4hid

Post by Z4hid » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:58 am

I’ve never really been one for mods but Barty, your mods have changed my perspective (some going for a 12yr mod free Z4 owner!). Not loud but subtle and improve the iconic design very well indeed.
Not an easy feat.. well done!
Z4hid
Z4 Coupe | 3.0si | Grey | Amarone interior

Barty

Post by Barty » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:58 pm

Z4hid, that's one hell of a compliment, thanks! It's the mantra for the coupe: it should be in line with the original design ethos, matched to the timeframe of its design, and using only materials that BMW used or could have used.

In other news: RvsBmw was both kind and mad enough to let me have a go in his lovely Z4M Coupe. Driven back to back, you really get a feel for the differences between the Si and M. Some observations in no particular order:

- Engine. The S54 dominates the experience of the M. Where the N52 is smooth and linear in its power delivery with plenty of low-down torque, the S54 demands more thrashing to get the most of it. Under 3.5k rpm, they're not all that different in the way they pull. Get up above that point and the S54 just gets better and better. By no means does the N52 feel underpowered, but the S54 just keeps getting better with every 1000 rpm right up to the red line. Bonus: the supersprint exhaust really allows the oldschool sound of the M to come into its own. My Si has the aFe intake and a Bastück backbox, but it sounds eerily quiet compared to the M-chorus. Very addictive...
- Gearbox. The manual box in the M is more mechanical in feel. Notchy in first and second, but very precise in the rest. The N52 is smoother to operate, which on a day to day basis would certainly be a benefit. Given that I'd spent an hour in traffic before that drive, I was glad I did it in the Si. The M isn't by any means impossible, it's just that the Si is a lot easier to use.
- Steering feel. The M just has spades of it, whereas the Si is just lacking in that regard. Numb is too harsh a term, but the electronic power steering isn't nearly as communicative as the hydraulics in the M. The suspension of the M feels well-sorted, though my Si is on STX coilovers so it doesn't feel like a boat either. Can't really compare the two honestly because of it.
- LSD. When you throw the Si into a turn you need to feather the throttle lightly, as the open diff tends to push you into understeer. The rear of the M just comes round under power, pushing you through the turn. It's an addition that transforms the way you take corners and massively boosts the driving experience.
- Tyres. Something that did catch me off guard was the behaviour of the Michelin PS4S: they've got boatloads of grip, but need to "set" themselves on their sidewalls a bit more compared to the Vorti R's. The slightly softer sidewalls of the Michelin's had to load up a bit before achieving their full bite, whereas the Vorti R has stiffer sidewalls and load up more sharpish. Out and out grip of the PS4S is excellent, but their feel building up to the limit (so not actually on the limit) is something you need to get used to.
- Styling. One thing that instantly made me go: "I need that", was the view over the bonnet. The two creases just finish off the view over that long nose. Interesting to see was the variation in the front bumpers. Not just the obvious differences in lines, but also in depth and dynamics: the Si has protruding outer areas with a recessed central area, giving a flatter, wider front. The M has rounder sides with a positive central area stepped up from the sides. The kidneys also lay further back into the nose of the M compared to the Si, which further boosts the flat front of the latter. The recessed grills are design queues we see with other M-models as well.

Another interesting difference is between the halogen and xenon lights. The halogen's outer and inner lens are placed side by side, whereas the two projectors in the xenon headlight are stepped in design with a curve around their inner edges. Coupled with the bumper design, the M has a more pointed, rounded nose compared to the somewhat "blunt" Si. As for the rears: I actually liked the look of my diffuser more than the original M-bumper now. It looked more aggressive, sportier. It only lacks the 4 pipes, something which I'll be tackling this winter with a custom project on the diffuser. Final styling point: the dials. Really like the red needles and white lighting, looks special. Oil temp gauge was another addition I miss in the Si.
IMG_8424.JPG
IMG_8424.JPG (159.33 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Like I said above: the rear end of the Si actually looks better -to my eyes- with the diffuser now fitted. The M looks great, if perhaps a little restrained. Although, M-cars of the era hadn't yet fallen prey to the over-designed looks of the 2020's, so perhaps my perception is a bit tainted by modern M-cars.
IMG_8428.JPG
IMG_8428.JPG (203.19 KiB) Viewed 809 times
As for the front: I lose that battle by quite a margin. The Si just looks a little "flat" compared to the more rounded, stepped design of the M. I like the way the xenon's tie in with the raised central area of the bumper, further offset by the increased depth of the kidneys. Classic looks that have aged brilliantly, especially confronted with the modern radiator grills (can't really call them kidneys anymore can you) we see today.

All in all, a great day out with a few key take-aways for me: hydraulic conversion just got bumped up the list, "comfort" seats really aren't so I need to get a move on with the Pole's, an M-bumper should really complement the new rear-end of the Si, xenon-style stepped housings are in order, and I've got a few plans in my mind for this winter that neither car originally had; exciting times ahead!

Big thanks to RvsBmw for letting me take his pride and joy for a spin, an absolute gent :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:06 pm

That's a great comparison Barty. :thumbsup:

Probably sums up my thoughts more eloquently than I could. :roll:

Maybe the MC could do with a rear diffuser? Mine came with one already fitted.
Attachments
Tips3 130621.jpg
Tips3 130621.jpg (192.19 KiB) Viewed 807 times
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Barty

Post by Barty » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:13 pm

Mr Tidy, thanks. The diffuser definitely helps, looks good! Taking another look at the rear bumper of the M, it's as though it shares the same curved lower recess as the pre-facelift bumper. The ports for the exhausts protrude with a slanted edge and a sharp notch in the transfer from the port to the area under the plate. Perhaps if they'd kept that line sharp and horizontal rather than rounded downward the rear would look sharper, especially as the other elements of the rear facelift have also been straightened out (rear lights and lower edge).

Car design really is interesting to nerd over for me, so apologies if anyone finds this a bit nitpicky :lol:

RvsBmw

Post by RvsBmw » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:42 pm

Barty wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:58 pm Big thanks to RvsBmw for letting me take his pride and joy for a spin, an absolute gent :thumbsup:
It was a pleasure and thanks for the ride in your (more) comfy Si :) . It looks stunning and i was surprised in positive way! Looking forward to your next mod and the next meeting. Cheers!
Current: BMW Z4M Coupe '07 (one-off) | Midnight Blue Metallic | Syrah Blue Leather | OEM CSL's | Aero's
Gone: BMW Z4M Coupe '08 | Sapphire Black | Bicolour Silverstone Anthrazit | OEM CSL's | Aero's

Barty

Post by Barty » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:31 pm

Door Cards

The current doorcards and seats always have been an interim solution. Phase 1 for the interior was the big swap, having the two-tone door cards to tie the old seats and nee black interior together. Phase 2 encompasses the alcantara headliner, door cards and seats. The headliner is done, and the doorcards finally had all required components come together.

I’ve spent the last few days on the door handles, sanding them down, prepping them and then painting them satin black. As for the door pulls, I’ve had them skinned with actual carbon fiber (not a fan of wraps due to the texture and lack of depth) to tie the interior colour scheme to the exterior. The backs of the door pulls have been upholstered in nappa leather, not something you might see but you’ll feel it every time you close the door :thumbsup:

Furthermore, I’ve added a set of OEM doorspeakers which I’ll splice in as an interim solution. Might not be much, but every bit helps. I’ve also redone the window buttons to complete the look.

I’ll install them either tomorrow or Saturday, but here’s a sneak peek in advance. Really like the satin black pulls, they blend in beautifully.
94B070C6-1092-4998-BD9C-D271DBB9FC88.jpeg
94B070C6-1092-4998-BD9C-D271DBB9FC88.jpeg (134.43 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Next step? Vacation. A 3500km roadtrip through the Swiss Alps, Como, the Dolomites and Croatia. After that, it’s time to hunt for some seats and get those finished to conclude phase 2.

Phase 3 will encompass a customised dash set-up, upgraded audio and sound deadening. The 4th and final phase will involve the door cards once more, as well as the dash… Far from done, but happy with every iteration. Really means the car grows with you :wink:

jock156

Post by jock156 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:07 am

Good work Barty! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you are on FB look for a guy named James Tanner.

He has just designed a great looking back lighting for the speedo etc. Still awaiting prices but he always produces great bits of kit! :thumbsup:

Barty

Post by Barty » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:09 am

jock156 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:07 am Good work Barty! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If you are on FB look for a guy named James Tanner.

He has just designed a great looking back lighting for the speedo etc. Still awaiting prices but he always produces great bits of kit! :thumbsup:
Thanks! That definitely sounds interesting, will have a look :thumbsup:

Wasn’t planning on changing the cluster however. What I’ve got planned involves cutting up the dash, so I’ll be using a donor dash… :?

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:30 am

Barty, mate, really starting to grown on me that green.. have you got some hi-rez pics in the sun that show it off with your current wheels. d-day is around the corner and i have to choose a color in the next few weeks. this is in my top 3 colors list. :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3