Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Barty's Green Z4 Coupé - Not another one…

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Vanne

Barty's Green Z4 Coupé - Aero Mods and Interior Upgrades

Post by Vanne » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:15 am

Cheers bud :thumbsup:
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

Vanne

Post by Vanne » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:04 am

Thanks for the pics mate, frikkin epic :)
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3
Powered by Severn Tuning

Barty

Post by Barty » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:50 pm

Vacation Prep
In preparation for my trip I decided to treat the Zed to a bit of extra TLC as well as a pair of new brake callipers, which got a fresh coat of dark grey metallic paint since they were off anyway.
IMG_8873.jpg
IMG_8873.jpg (145.88 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
New pads, fresh oil and original MANN filter, as well as a clean of the aFe intake. I also removed the CDV, which I'm happy to report has made the car even more enjoyable to drive. Subtle and yet profound, the pedal feel is considerably more natural yet not shockingly different to before. It's nice, but hard to explain! If you're considering it: mole grips for the flex line, 10 minutes of your time and you're all set. Since I replaced both of the front callipers I treated the coupe to fresh brake fluid as well.

Finally, I retrofitted a pair of original BMW doorspeakers to add a little to the other wise lacking 6-speaker set-up. Easy enough job, and with a noticeable result- excellent for the trip ahead. The now complete all-black doorcards went in a few days before departure, and have once again moved the interior look forward.
IMG_9019.jpg
IMG_9019.jpg (124.1 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Como & Croatia 2022
My very first introduction to Z4 ownership was my trip to Como last year. A week blasting around the lake and surrounding mountains. This year, that tradition continued. A few days in advance, we decided to turn our drive down to the lake into part of the experience. Together with a good friend, who joined in what can only be described as the best cared for Brera I know of, we set off.
IMG_8956.jpg
IMG_8956.jpg (205.89 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
Day one was spent on an autobahn blast to Freiburg, 50 miles from the Swiss border. Nothing special there, but day 2 was spent entirely on crossing Alpine passes: Grimsel, Furka, Andermatt, Lukmanier, as well as a few smaller passes in between. 500km's of Swiss roads, resulting in a smile that was hard to get rid of. Absolutely stunning scenery for mile after mile. Naturally, the gratuitous Furka Pass Belvédère Hotel pic was in order!
IMG_9054.jpg
IMG_9054.jpg (210 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
We spent the next 5 days at Como, mostly stringing together gorgeous sights and simply lovely towns. Lots of lovely lunches and dinners, with a particularly memorable night out at Villa d'Este. Once again, in for a classic!
IMG_9165.jpg
IMG_9165.jpg (313.16 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
We were joined by a few more friends on Saturday, adding a seriously tuned Giulietta QV and a 159 torque monster to the mix. Good times :thumbsup:
IMG_9308.jpg
IMG_9308.jpg (202.66 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
On Monday, we set off to Croatia. A mind-numbing 550km drive to Optralj; endless Italian motorways through uninspired landscapes, mostly under the close supervision of average speed camera's. Granted... In areas without average speed camera's, some Italian tune ups were performed. Happy to report the revised geometry and alignment feels more stable at speed- even well above 200 kph. :driving:

As for the rest of the week? It was spent driving through one of the prettiest countries I've been to in a long time, visiting lovely towns and meeting great people. If you're considering a trip to Croatia: do it. Kind people, good food, great views, lots of history- some of which still very much alive.

The Zed performed almost flawlessly: on the 1400km drive back, the wipers -well, one of them- decided to pack up with another 1000km to go, and nothing but unrelenting rain and bad traffic to make it even more interesting. We could see the mechanism had come off the ball joint at the driver's side wiper. We attempted to remove the arms and scuttle, but they simply wouldn't budge. A slight saviour was my decision to pack a small bottle of Aquavelox, a glass sealant similar to RainX but a bit more hardy. At the first services I cleaned the glass best I could, applied two coats and waited with a cup of coffee for it to dry out. The sealant that is, not the weather. No chance there...

As we set off, visibility was acceptable as long as I was driving above 50 kph, and good when going above 100. Unfortunately, this wasn't all that easy... We had to take a 1.5h backroad route around Munich, saving us well over 3 hours otherwise spent in a queue that only turned out to get longer. We found this out because 2 of my friends decided to join the back of the line, and got home about 8 hours after us despite departing only 90 minutes after we did.

Nearly 4000km's in 12 days, some of them at considerable speed, "unusual" angles of attack (Croatia's roads are really slippery, which is fun!), as well as a few bum-clenching moments on the way home. It was an absolute hoot, and I wish it could have lasted longer.

The Zed performed beautifully aside from its minor mechanical faillure (albeit with less than minor consequences, granted). It ran smoothly, pulled up to 252 kph on the GPS on three occasions, carried me and a friend with our luggage in decent enough comfort- I can't fault it! It came back covered in dust, sand, mud, flies, dirt and God knows what else, so I spent an hour or two today cleaning it back up.
IMG_0125.jpg
IMG_0125.jpg (187.43 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
Ready for new adventures!
Four Alfa's and a Ducati later, I've turned to the dark side...
"Drive German, wear Italian, kiss French"

Z4: Tiefgrüen Metallic E86 3.0Si / Insta @bartsbuilds

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:17 pm

That sounds like a great trip Barty, and your Z4 has cleaned up nicely. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Griffo46

Barty's Green Z4 Coupé - Como/Croatia 2022

Post by Griffo46 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:36 am

This thread is inspiration for me and the future with my Zed.
2007 3.0si Roadster Stratus Grey/ Red Leather
2016 520d F10 M Sport Space Grey

zriha

Post by zriha » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:23 pm

Nice to see you in Croatia mate, next time send PM :)
Current fleet
BMW Z4 (E85) 2.5i 5-speed manual
Mini Cooper S JCW F56
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Signals (Marsh Grey)

Barty

Post by Barty » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:47 am

Finally managed to fix the wipers. I’d originally ordered a retaining clip to secure the ball joint that had popped off. Unfortunately that got lost in the post, and I was fed up with not being able to go out in the rain… So:
198D791F-990A-46D3-8097-F5E52FAEDF1C.jpeg
198D791F-990A-46D3-8097-F5E52FAEDF1C.jpeg (64.17 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Drilled out a slightly undersized hole through the ball, then tapped a thread and fitted a screw with a decent size washer. The washer only just touches on the arm, so there’s no stress on the screw when in use. Wipers are working as before again! :thumbsup:
1AC8F1FC-0BE4-4CC9-B16E-6C8ED3493CC1.jpeg
1AC8F1FC-0BE4-4CC9-B16E-6C8ED3493CC1.jpeg (246.63 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
Then this morning, I got a message from my neighbour informing me of a car show just round the corner. Popped over, at which point they promptly asked me to park on the field rather than the lot- great morning out 8)

jock156

Post by jock156 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:08 pm

Loving the Ghibli 👌

Barty

Post by Barty » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:32 pm

jock156 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:08 pm Loving the Ghibli 👌
Sounded absolutely epic too… Stainless bespoke system tied into an engine bay that would make an OR look filthy

jock156

Post by jock156 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:53 pm

:thumbsup:

Barty

Post by Barty » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:30 pm

Aero Adventures
For a while now, I've wanted an M-bumper to bring the nose up to standard with the rest of the car. Given the price BMW asks these days, it wasn't on my shortlist of items, though the now complete rear-end did feel a little unbalanced to the still original front. Suddenly, an opportunity arose: a friend with an M-bumper fitted to his Si decided on an aero front bumper. So we made a deal: I'd source and buy an aero front-end, and I could in return have his M-bumper. Fair enough! In fitting my aero skirts, I also seem to have inspired a few fellow Dutch Zed-owners who now decided to do the same. Soon enough, interest rose from not just one but three coupe-compatriots! The hunt was on...

A few weeks later and the shopping list was complete: one aero front bumper, three sets of side skirts, as well as few small bits and bobs. With the goods arranged, I set off for England with my fellow Zed owner and friend joelvdrZ4C. Left home at 03:30 for the 1-hour drive to Joel, and then off to Calais. Arriving 3 hours later, we had a mere 35 minute wait for the next train, arriving in England at 08:00 local time. First stop was just off the M20 for the first set of skirts, and then onwards to Warrington.
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG (141.58 KiB) Viewed 956 times
14:00 arrival, quick load-up and a friendly chat, only for us to head back the way we came. A well-deserved burger at the tunnel during our wait, followed by a quick and comfy passage back to France. Another 3-hour jaunt back to Joel's, ending up back in the Zed for the last hour home. Total time in the car: 23h40m, with a distance of 1700km/1060 miles covered.
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG (379.16 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Our companion, an almost new X5 40e, proved to be hugely comfortable and a very capable long-distance cruiser. Still, getting back into the simple, analogue world of the Z4 was very welcome after being lulled into a sense of comfort and ease by the X5. The back-to-basics experience never disappoints, and proved a perfect stimulant to perk me back up at night! :thumbsup:

Next step will be taking the bumper to the bodyshop for some minor repairs and a respray, after which we'll be face-swapping the Zeds. More on that soon!

I spy with my little eye: something that starts with Z!
A week or two later we organised another edition of the Z-tour with the Dutch E86 club. Poor weather and busy schedules saw our numbers dwindle from 12 to 5, but that didn't prevent us from having a blast! Country lanes, fast forest routes, as well as a few dike roads- we had a bit of everything thrown in the mix.
IMG_2176.JPG
IMG_2176.JPG (317.82 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Fast forward to last weekend, where on Saturday I set off to Zeeland with Joel and his freshly updated coupe: aero skirts painted and fitted, as well as a slew of other updates I'll leave to him to reveal. Fair to say: it looks absolutely stunning! We met up with Thomas and went for a spirited drive around the peninsula, after which the guys continued on without me because I had a track-session that afternoon at Zandvoort!
IMG_3196.JPG
IMG_3196.JPG (271.85 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Zandvoort. GP lay-out by default, so what you see on TV is exactly what you get to sample. Except maybe the speed... First time taking the Z on track (not my first time, thankfully), and a few random observations I've had during my 30 minutes of fun:

Smiles for miles; having the straight six singing just never gets dull. Handling-wise, I was impressed with the performance of the Vredestein Vorti R's as well as the STX coilovers. Other drivers commented on how flat and composed the car looked from the outside, sentiments I can echo from behind the wheel. I do miss the feedback from the steering wheel, which is slightly dulled by the EPS. Turn-in is slightly compromised by initial understeer and the lack of an LSD, the latter of which you also feel when powering out of a turn. That said, the Z will happily track through a corner once persuaded into it. A few 4-wheel slides into turn 2 (Gerlach) setting up for the slingshot through 3 (Hugenholtz) were an absolute hoot. The biggest compromise (besides my lack of talent) were the seats; Recaro Pole Positions have been on my shopping list for almost a year now, but have been bumped up near the top after last Saturday! Brakes were okay but not brilliant. I'll have to see about swapping for better pads next time (DS2500 or Red Stuff) while planning my overall brake upgrades next spring.
IMG_3215.JPG
IMG_3215.JPG (134.7 KiB) Viewed 956 times
After 30 minutes of hooning around, we pulled in to share stories, smiles and experiences. Bas' Barchetta (which has been rebuilt last summer) held up beautifully, with the only car suffering a failure being the Volvo: 4 burst coolant pipes have led us to expect the worst...

Corvo on Tour: Dishing the Dirt
With a Saturday like that it would make sense to take it easy on Sunday, both car and driver deserving a rest. So we didn't. Instead we hosted the second edition of Corvo on Tour, a drive with a number of our customers, their friends and a few followers from social media. 25 cars lined up for the start ranging from Alfa's to Land Rover's and Mazda's to BMW's, including two Zeds as well! A 150km drive around the Veluwe and Heuvelrug followed, which also included a 2-kilometre stretch of sandy trail. Huge fun in the RWD cars, all happily throwing their tails out given the opportunity. It did lead to my car -being messy already from the track and daytrip before- getting absolutely bathed in dirt, sand and mud.
DSC_1055.jpg
DSC_1055.jpg (244.68 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Legend has it those wheels were once bronze... :roll: Funnily enough, I love it when cars look like this. To me, it shows they're being used for what they were intended for: fun! :thumbsup:

Getting back from the Tour, I suddenly realised the car was booked in for an MOT the next day... Yikes. With the sand literally coming off in chunks, I gave it a quick rinse so I wouldn't completely soil the poor guy's workshop.
IMG_3377.JPG
IMG_3377.JPG (192.08 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Two new front brake hoses (OEM, not braided) were fitted before the MOT as they were a known worn item. The outer liner showed cracks in the rubber, not yet going down to the core but better safe than sorry. Fortunately, all the main brake lines were replaced a few years back, including the sections over the tank. Saved me that trouble, thanks very much! With no other remarks, the car is ready for another year :thumbsup:

Next up...
Short-term, I'll be fitting the M-bumper once the Aero is ready to go for my mate. I also have a donor-dashboard at home that I plan to use for something special. As always, OEM-quality and style is the aim of the game where possible, and this is no exception. More on that later. Furthermore, I'll also take on the headlights and bring them up to par; upgrade to modern xenon projectors instead of the current halogens, installing halo's and reworking the internal shroud to align more with the rest of the front-end design. Finally, another trip to the UK is in the books for the end of December... More on that as it unfolds (you'll get that pun once I get back)... 8)

Calps

Barty's Green Z4 Coupé - Zandvoort & Aero Adventures

Post by Calps » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:43 pm

Another great update Barty.

I enjoyed (and will continue to enjoy) following your adventures on Instagram as well!
MelZ: Black Sapphire Z4C

Barty

Post by Barty » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:16 pm

Much appreciated Calps! :thumbsup: Every time I see those bronze wheels on your sapphire coupe, I just think it looks even better than I remembered. The combination of wheel design and colour are spot on. Any further plans with the Zed right now, or in hibernation over the winter?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:27 pm

Another great update Barty. :thumbsup:

You've really been doing some mileage in your Zed.

But it looks like you Dutch guys are buying up all the UK Aero sills! I'm just glad I bought mine when I did. :)
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Barty

Post by Barty » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:38 pm

Thanks Mr Tidy, managed to clock up roughly 20.000km over the first year in the Zed, as well as a fair few in the hunt for parts… :lol:
BC1C6D6E-D525-4186-B0E3-9181BACFD83F.jpeg
BC1C6D6E-D525-4186-B0E3-9181BACFD83F.jpeg (211.11 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Finally gave the Zed a proper clean again today, in preparation for a piece in a local paper on unique cars and their owners. At least one of the two should look presentable… :roll: