Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine failure

"M" Specific discussion
Mtl2021

Engine failure

Post by Mtl2021 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:19 pm

Thank you for this form.

I have a MY2006 Z4M. 45,000KM. Owned the car since 2008. When I purchased the car the check engine light was on. Took it to BMW for inspection and all was good, no issues. The light reset. 30k later the engine stopped working, Service says the Cams are not moving, Replaced Vanos, Bottom of engine is good. Top of engine is not working. From what I (not mechanical guy) understood, a screw broke off and camshaft prevention sensor error was noted and replaced but the cams were not moving hence the error code. Tech says the engine needs to be replaced. Any suggestions?

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Engine failure

Post by john-e89 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:09 pm

Yes, take it someone who knows what they’re doing, ‘Tech’ sounds like a tit. Best of luck.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

PDJ

Engine failure

Post by PDJ » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:01 pm

So if the crankshaft is turning and the camshafts are not turning the drive between the two is broken ie the cam chain, the subsequent damage is bent broken valves you would be looking at a very big repair bill.

I or we need a bit more info or you need to get someone who knows what they are doing to look if you keep turning it over you are just smashing the internals up more and more if the top and bottom half is no longer connected.