Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Roof Doctor Required! - E. Midlands

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:35 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:23 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:21 pm
RobbiZ4 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:19 pm OK, UK seems to be a paradise for E89 owners.
In Germany, hardly any of the garages as well as of the BMW palaces has any clue about roof issues and strategies to get it solved.
Absolutely not a paradise Robbi, never said that but still think most should have some clue if they have worked at BMW in the last 5 years.
Well, you are always using "should". I've got the complete different experience from all over our country.
Well that's fine - as I said should, if they have worked as a tech in BMW in recent years they should have some clue on the issues with e89 roofs, when I had mine done, first thing he said was microswitches and that was before running a diagnostics on it
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:48 pm

You could try bmwman.com
Heanor off m1 jct 26 near the ikea
Call in have a chat
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

RileyRennocks

Post by RileyRennocks » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:01 pm

That's sounds great, I'll get in touch with https://www.bmwman.co.uk/ on Monday and see if they can help give me confidence back in the hood. Thanks Mark. :D

SV8Predator

Post by SV8Predator » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:13 am

Ole gits rule wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:04 pm Microswitch are £16 each and in all honesty mine went a few weeks ago and the garage said it was all sorted, on collection went to drive off and the red light was flashing and roof not working.
Ole gits rule wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:04 pm Sstill think most should have some clue if they have worked at BMW in the last 5 years.
Ole gits rule wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:04 pm If they have worked as a tech in BMW in recent years they should have some clue on the issues with e89 roofs, when I had mine done, first thing he said was microswitches and that was before running a diagnostics on it
You seem to be contradicting yourself here. You're praising all these BMW "techs" that "should" have have some clue, but report on your own case where you were told it "was sorted" and plainly it wasn't!
2012 Z4 2.0 M-Sport Atacama Yellow
2000 Z3 3.0
2016 Vauxhall GTC Sunny Melon Yellow
2000 Jaguar X308 Sovereign 4.0
1969 Jensen Interceptor 6.3 litre

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:12 am

No it was sorted, he knew the likely root cause straight away the fact he had to adjust the microswitch is part of the job, he never told it was some hydraulic part that could cost £2k or leave me feeling the roof was going to fail again
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:45 am

Ole gits rule wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:12 am ...the fact he had to adjust the microswitch is part of the job, ...
Interesting.
I don't know any "adjustment" in the E89 roof or the trunk lid, that can solve any of the classical issues like broken wires, broken hydraulic hoses or worn microswitches.

But, I've had to listen to many fairy tales from e89 owners who were told about their workshops. :oops:
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:05 am

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:45 am
Ole gits rule wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:12 am ...the fact he had to adjust the microswitch is part of the job, ...
Interesting.
I don't know any "adjustment" in the E89 roof or the trunk lid, that can solve any of the classical issues like broken wires, broken hydraulic hoses or worn microswitches.

But, I've had to listen to many fairy tales from e89 owners who were told about their workshops. :oops:
You may know the roof but you were not there mate - I saw him work on the car

Adil_3

Post by Adil_3 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:06 pm

Hey I had a very similar issue, with a twist.

Best recommendation BMWMAN derby heanor, most likely its your salmon relay however give them a ring and go! They’ve fixed my roof including a whole new hydraulic motor and wiring! They've been life savers for me and honestly i wouldn’t go anywhere else and i live in leicester so it is a lil drive!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:01 pm

RileyRennocks wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:49 pm (we have hood anxiety) that we are now reluctant to use the hood.
'Hood anxiety'; great phrase :thumbsup: . I think many people here have had (or will have) this at one time or another.
Whenever I get the symptoms, I make an online appointment with Dr RobbiZ4 who always seems to cure it :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

RileyRennocks

Post by RileyRennocks » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:32 pm

Thanks Adil_3 . You are the second person who has mentioned https://www.bmwman.co.uk/ so I'll certainly be getting in touch. :D

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:46 am

My colleagues roof failed three times in 3 months, all warranty fixes 5 years ago. This was a car with 11k miles on it. She ended up with paperwork over one inch thick of diagnostics and invoices. BMW don't always know what they are doing regard fixing. Planned to get rid of car before it broke again, well it did, the eBrake failed, last straw.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:48 am

Fixing the roof has become like cracking the Enigma code.
Funnily enough, guess who came up with that.

RileyRennocks

Post by RileyRennocks » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:58 am

Flybobbie, that is my concern. Even this morning, the roof warning indicator came on whilst driving (the roof was up and not being used) and then after a while went off. During this alert, it was not possible to open the windows.

My heart is with the car but my head is saying 'get rid' and cut our losses as we've just paid £600 to get it fixed and it's still not right. It's only done 24,000 miles although it is a 2013 model. Trouble is, we now have to throw money at it to get this warning light issue sorted as it's impossible to sell with flagging up on the dash board to any potential buyer - arrgghhhh!

Was the hard top version a failure for BMW? Did it have lots of issues during the time it was in production? Or am I just being unlucky?

Keep or sell???? mmmmm?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:25 am

RileyRennocks wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:58 am Flybobbie, that is my concern. Even this morning, the roof warning indicator came on whilst driving (the roof was up and not being used) and then after a while went off. During this alert, it was not possible to open the windows.

My heart is with the car but my head is saying 'get rid' and cut our losses as we've just paid £600 to get it fixed and it's still not right. It's only done 24,000 miles although it is a 2013 model. Trouble is, we now have to throw money at it to get this warning light issue sorted as it's impossible to sell with flagging up on the dash board to any potential buyer - arrgghhhh!

Was the hard top version a failure for BMW? Did it have lots of issues during the time it was in production? Or am I just being unlucky?

Keep or sell???? mmmmm?
Note to self, when RileyRennocks advertises his car on the forum................................. :wink:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:34 am

RileyRennocks wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:58 am Was the hard top version a failure for BMW? Did it have lots of issues during the time it was in production? Or am I just being unlucky?

Keep or sell???? mmmmm?
I don't believe the hard top was a failure for BMW and mostly they work just fine but when you do have a problem you need a competent mechanic who knows what they are doing with the roof (as RobbieZ4 says) otherwise you will throwing good money after bad. Problem is finding these competent roof mechanics. I have heard of a few in the UK but here where I am, I am not so sure, if ever I have a problem I may well end up calling RobbieZ4 :D
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red