Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Converting a Z4M to an automatic ????? Blasphemy !

"M" Specific discussion
GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:58 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:40 pm This is high on the list . I would not want to pay more than half the price of the car for the conversion .
The only thing I can say is: get a conversion that has been done in the past, or something with a guarantee
That way you can see what you get and see what niggles it has.

Because reliability is very important, even more than with a manual.
Especially if you go the smg/DCT route (in this case I think electronically it's more reliability challenged :wink: )
IF the SMG or DCT gets into a fault mode, its very much possible it's stuck in gear.
If your car sits in your driveway, or is parallel parked, it might not be so easy to get it towed to the garage, not being able to get it in neutral :roll:

That said I would just buy the V8 F type with the zf 8 speed for about the same money :roll: :lol:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:11 pm

Would the ZF8HP51 from the Zupra work…but if it does, at what cost?

I suppose the older 8HP45 (or later 8HP50) from the BMW range including the e89 Z4 will handle the HP/torque of the Z4M, and will be cheaper & more easily available used..and there is of course also the DCT from the e89.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:12 pm

john-e89 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:59 pm Most probably wrong but I’m thinking a DCT Z4M would be the first naturally aspirated car with that box… :?
First n/a Z4M, but not the first BMW…that would be the e9x M3 and it’s 7-speed DCT (which I didn’t get on with at all).
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

tomscott
Lifer
Lifer

Post by tomscott » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:38 pm

Essentially its probably not financially viable. Its taken 15 years for the M3 CSL to be converted the other way round.

The manual in the Z4M isn't the same as the E46 because of space constraints the M3 has gtrag and think the transmission in the Z4M is a similar unit to that in the standard car. So I think an SMG is probably going to be difficult and its an awful transmission. I think that is the issue with the Z4 is that its small so I doubt the DCT would be an easy swap.

Better off looking at something like a e89 35I or IS, E92 M3, 135 auto, m235/240, M2, M2 Comp newer m3/4 etc etc or any that have been made as an auto.

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:08 pm

tomscott wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:38 pm Better off looking at something like a e89 35I or IS, E92 M3, 135 auto, m235/240, M2, M2 Comp newer m3/4 etc etc or any that have been made as an auto.
I will use Tom`s quote as it combines what some of you have said and to sum up my thoughts so far . Yes it would be much easier and more sensible to get something that is more powerful etc and already has an auto box but I love a challenge even if I don`t have the expertise to do the job . As this was a hypothetical question I really appreciate the time taken and views given and the options supplied on what auto boxes may work or other work rounds and that inspires me .

If at some point I find myself in a position that I can afford to " upgrade " I have decided to explore the Z4M with auto box route first as that is what I would really like . If that day arrives I will most certainly be doing a build thread unless someone else is as mad as me and does it first of course :)

If any of you are going to Shepshed tomorrow I hope you have a great time . Maybe next year for me :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:29 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:08 pm If at some point I find myself in a position that I can afford to " upgrade " I have decided to explore the Z4M with auto box route first as that is what I would really like .
I think the biggest hurdle is that there is no 'bolt on solution'
I've done quite a bit to my car, also to the point that there are no 'aftermarket solutions' for the upgrades I want, so I'm often at the point that I need to fabricate my own parts or extensively adapt/machine existing parts to give them the spec/functionality I want.
That takes about 10-100times as long as bolt ons.
Paying someone to figure things out is extremely expensive.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:44 pm

GuidoK wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:29 pm Paying someone to figure things out is extremely expensive.
Yes I have found that already with manifold headers . I have been quoted between £2000 - £3000 to have them custom made . Did your Schmiedmann headers and cats fit without any problem ?
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:30 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:44 pm Did your Schmiedmann headers and cats fit without any problem ?
No, it is a set designed for an E46 automatic I believe. (and this is a set for the m54, I don't have a z4m but a 3.0i)
My set also isn't the 'copy' of the supersprint design, it's a different design with some crazy bends and curves.
Its this set:https://www.schmiedmann.co.uk/en/bmw-E4 ... ct=SCM5254
With these headers:
Headers are fine, although very difficult to fit as they have a big pipe diameter and lots of curves, so they mask many cylinder head studs.
(the set they have now for the z4 (so the supersprint copy).. I don't believe they even had that back then when I installed it and supersprint is just very expensive.

The pipes that contained the cats (so the S pipes) had to be shortened, but there was a piece of pipe included that can slot inside the original pipes, so a cut and some special exhaust clamps did that trick.
And also some cuts had to be made and welded shut to align the cats closer together (otherwise they touched the transmission tunnel).
And to mate with the existing exhaust system (that had a much smaller diameter), I think I used a piece of stainless sheet that I bend in a circle and used as a spacer, with a powerful exhaust clamp clamping it shut (I probably made some slits to shrink).

The exhaust set was very cheap, I think I paid €610 incl VAT so about £520, but it took some minor work.
With a professional exhaust shop, that work would probably have taken a full day (fitting the headers not being able to reach the nuts taking quite a portion of that day).

Mind you, this set doesn't fit a british car! (I have a LHD car). That steering column axis going through there is a pain for you guys*.
I don't even know if there's an aftermarket header solution for british m54 cars. I don't know if schmiedmann has a UK set. In the past there has been talk about it but I've never actually seen one that someone fitted
I've seen people modifying RHD S50 headers (e36 m3) (those still were proper headers) for M54 engines (weld on a different cylinder head flange). Because for the s50 engine there was a RHD version made of course.
The M54 exhaust manifold is extremely restricted. Internally about 1x 1" if I had to guess.

That's why I always say: when having an inline six, when it's british made it should be RHD, when it's mainland (or US) made it should be LHD.
Because the I6 has a definate cold and hot side. With british I6's the cold side and hot side are swapped. That way both the steering column and brake system are on the cold side which is way better for performance and build. So there's definately a technical advantage here.
Last edited by GuidoK on Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RedUn

Post by RedUn » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:38 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:08 pm
tomscott wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:38 pm Better off looking at something like a e89 35I or IS, E92 M3, 135 auto, m235/240, M2, M2 Comp newer m3/4 etc etc or any that have been made as an auto.
I will use Tom`s quote as it combines what some of you have said and to sum up my thoughts so far . Yes it would be much easier and more sensible to get something that is more powerful etc and already has an auto box but I love a challenge even if I don`t have the expertise to do the job . As this was a hypothetical question I really appreciate the time taken and views given and the options supplied on what auto boxes may work or other work rounds and that inspires me .

If at some point I find myself in a position that I can afford to " upgrade " I have decided to explore the Z4M with auto box route first as that is what I would really like . If that day arrives I will most certainly be doing a build thread unless someone else is as mad as me and does it first of course :)

If any of you are going to Shepshed tomorrow I hope you have a great time . Maybe next year for me :thumbsup:
You'd be better off putting a sequential box in and a hand clutch just for setting off and stopping 8)
IMOLA Z4///MR

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:42 pm

RedUn wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:38 pm
You'd be better off putting a sequential box in and a hand clutch just for setting off and stopping 8)
Straight cut Quaife sequential box :evil: :thumbsup:
lets see how his wife likes that :rofl:

(although most drivers still often clutch with such gearboxes especially on the downshift.)

Still, thats 8k for just the box and bell housing. Add another 1-2k for a raceclutch and smf conversion, and the work, and you're easily over 10k.
Maybe a custom propshaft is also needed (another 1-2k)

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:11 pm

1536Z4 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:08 pm If at some point I find myself in a position that I can afford to " upgrade " I have decided to explore the Z4M with auto box route first as that is what I would really like . If that day arrives I will most certainly be doing a build thread unless someone else is as mad as me and does it first of course
Well it's certainly an interesting idea, but apart from looking like quite a challenge it could be pretty expensive too. And might not do the car's value any favours either!

Good luck if you do end up doing it though. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:30 pm

If you are enjoying your 3.0Si auto but want the performance of an MC, why don’t you supercharge it? Much cheaper and people have done it before.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:44 am

GuidoK wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:42 pm lets see how his wife likes that
We`re not married but she would love it :evil: :evil: :evil: :driving: :thumbsup: ( I think )
Last edited by 1536Z4 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:18 am

Zedebee wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:30 pm If you are enjoying your 3.0Si auto but want the performance of an MC, why don’t you supercharge it? Much cheaper and people have done it before.
I have thought about the supercharge route but it still comes back to it not being a S54 or an M . I suppose the only way I can explain it is to turn my situation around and say to everyone with a Z4M how would you feel if when BMW bought out the Z4M that they decided to produce 2 versions a manual with the N52 engine or an automatic with the S54 . At least you would have the choice and it would still be an M but wouldn`t you feel a bit cheated ?

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:36 am

GuidoK wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:30 pm Headers are fine, although very difficult to fit as they have a big pipe diameter and lots of curves, so they mask many cylinder head studs
They look great though and I like the way you work round an issue . :thumbsup: