Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW enthusiast out of the Netherlands

First port of call for new members
DanielS

Post by DanielS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:51 am

Hi Everyone,

Just a brief introduction. In the past I have driven a couple of BMW's a E34, E36, E39, E46.. the after the E46 I became a dad... yeah... and I was offered a company car and it all just got a bit vanilla... driving a Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 diesel is not the most exciting car in the world.

So after looking online I decided it was time for a fun car, a bit of a project, but still affordable, sporty and good looking. So I bought a Z4 E85 2.5i. Previous owner had the car for 10 year but only drove 27000km with it. So the car has just been sitting in the garage for a long long time doing noting.

Yet that does mean I have some stuff to do.
  • Fix a tamper dot
  • Fix the roof (yes there is water in the well...)
  • Upgrade the seats to electric with memory
  • Fix the paint all around the car
  • Fix the suspension (the car does not corner very well, steering seems sloppy)
  • Upgrade the audio with Bluetooth and if possible android auto.
  • Install Cruise Control unit
Well and probably some other stuff to look into.

Main objective is to keep the car as original as possible but add some modern comforts.

RvsBmw

Post by RvsBmw » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:53 am

Morgen!

Welcome here!
Good luck with upgrading the car to fresh OEM or OEM+ :).
My BMW dealer installed my cruise control last april i think.

Greetz, from the Netherlands.
Current: BMW Z4M Coupe '07 (one-off) | Midnight Blue Metallic | Syrah Blue Leather | OEM CSL's | Aero's
Gone: BMW Z4M Coupe '08 | Sapphire Black | Bicolour Silverstone Anthrazit | OEM CSL's | Aero's

PointedMarlin

Post by PointedMarlin » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:55 am

Hi & welcome, congrats on parenthood

There are a few guys from the Netherlands on here I believe

There is also a ton of knowledge on these boards, I’ve learned loads in the few months I’ve been here.

Enjoy your new car & get some pics up when you can :thumbsup: :driving:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:59 am

Hello and welcome to the forum - anyone mention pics :rofl:
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:25 am

Welcome to the forum from Cornwall. :)

Zulu4

Post by Zulu4 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:02 am

DanielS wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:51 am Main objective is to keep the car as original as possible but add some modern comforts.
Welcome. That is my philosophy too. :thumbsup:
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:16 am

Just a quick pic as I am at the office...

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:21 am

DanielS wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:16 am Just a quick pic as I am at the office...

Welcome aboard.
Looks a very nice motor you have there.
Well done for making a stand for the internal combustion engine and parking in the electric charging spot :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:35 am

My Wife her I3S is parked next to the Z4.... Actually the Z4 is parked where the front garden should be... :rofl:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:03 am

DanielS wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:35 am My Wife her I3S is parked next to the Z4.... Actually the Z4 is parked where the front garden should be... :rofl:
Even better! :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:44 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum with your smart looking Z4. :thumbsup:

Parking is much more useful than a garden!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:47 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I just wanted to give my thanks to all those members that have been doing DIY manuals, video's... Today I sorted the suspension out for like 80%. Could not have done it without all of you!!

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:42 pm

So relating to my last post here, I really wanted to thank all the DIY manuals that are online. I new my steering was not where it should be, so I started on fixing this one step at a time. so the first thing to do, was check the bushing... well they we're shot and I believe not even mounted correctly on the Z4.

After struggeling a bit getting the old bushings off the arm, I installed new ones. Had the car aligned again and the handling was so much better. Not there yet completely, need to figure out what the next step is going to be. Just for reference, the shock absorbers seem fine, and no broken springs... need to read more on this topic.

Next up after the this was getting the roof sorted and move the pump out of the housing and into the trunck of the car. Now there are 2 options either a DIY or getting someone to do it. As I had just injured my back I decided to get the job done, but not by the stealer ship, but by 2 guys out of Germany. The company http://www.ph-cars.com/ they are the best!! Got the entire job done in less than 2 hours including moving the unit to the back and putting a nice cover on there.

This is how the pump looked after getting it out of the well.

After a complete rebuild and where it's mounted.

Next up is going to be the fluids, oil change, got myself some Castrol 5W30 LL for the engine, 2 liters of DOT4 for the brakes and need to figure out what I need for the manual transmission. I bet this could also use a proper filling.

DanielS

Post by DanielS » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:44 pm

Sorry to say... But I will be selling my Z4.

Reason, it's a great car I have done a ton of work on it. It's in great shape and it's fun to drive....

But...

I bumped into a BMW 630i convertible (E64) that I could pick up for pennies (yes it does need a bit of work) and having 4 cars is a bit of a overkill. So the choice has been made, the Z has to go.

BoxClever

Post by BoxClever » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:08 pm

DanielS wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:44 pm Sorry to say... But I will be selling my Z4.

Reason, it's a great car I have done a ton of work on it. It's in great shape and it's fun to drive....

But...

I bumped into a BMW 630i convertible (E64) that I could pick up for pennies (yes it does need a bit of work) and having 4 cars is a bit of a overkill. So the choice has been made, the Z has to go.
Congrats! The 630 soft top is a beautiful car and worth jumping on. I'm also selling my Z4 as I've found an E93 that will double as my daily and my nice car for a few months. You've obviously got skills though so I'm sure the 6 will be looking and running great very soon!!