Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Relays

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
helmik

Roof Relays

Post by helmik » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:56 pm

Mornin all,
I’ve just changed the roof relays as my car is now 5 years old which seems to be when roof problems can start.
My question, I see the part. Umber on here to order from LLL Parts, wry slow delivery but that’s another story. They arrived today and it’s a simple job to swap them over. But, the old ones say 52amp, the new ones say 71 amp. Was there an update for them and is this a problem do you think with the higher amperage?? Roof works fine with the new ones but just wondered.
Ta
Mick

Pbondar

Roof Relays

Post by Pbondar » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:59 pm

A higher rating relay can only be beneficial..enjoy..useful to note on LLL Parts..Autodoc seems to be a 7 day net turnaround..

helmik

Roof Relays

Post by helmik » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:09 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:59 pm A higher rating relay can only be beneficial..enjoy..useful to note on LLL Parts..Autodoc seems to be a 7 day net turnaround..
Thanks, put my mind at rest, appreciated.
LLL Parts, ordered 24th July, arrived today, 7th August, after being told a few lies by their customer service people. Not impressed at all. Just my experience with them.
Mick

Pbondar

Roof Relays

Post by Pbondar » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:10 pm

helmik wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:09 pm
Pbondar wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:59 pm A higher rating relay can only be beneficial..enjoy..useful to note on LLL Parts..Autodoc seems to be a 7 day net turnaround..
Thanks, put my mind at rest, appreciated.
LLL Parts, ordered 24th July, arrived today, 7th August, after being told a few lies by their customer service people. Not impressed at all. Just my experience with them.
Mick
Pondered using them a few times..useful to know..think I’ll stick with Autodoc, Hubauer and Schmeiden…

Plus eBay sellers like BMW UK / main dealers if I’m in a rush..

Pays to compare prices..not always consistent..

helmik

Roof Relays

Post by helmik » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:37 pm

Yep, it was price that made me use LLL, expecting a few days delivery. I was wrong!!
Mick

RobbiZ4

Roof Relays

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:25 pm

Hey guys,
You are very joky as always.
The xxA info on these relays has absolutely nothing to do with any amperage! It's a prod/supplier info only.

Cheers
Rob
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Relays

Post by Pondrew » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:17 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:25 pm Hey guys,
The xxA info on these relays has absolutely nothing to do with any amperage! It's a prod/supplier info only.
:rofl: :rofl:
Robbie; please don't ever leave. :thumbsup:

Did it not occur to anyone that a 71 amp relay (odd number anyway never seen one so specific) is rated higher than the highest fuse capacity of the car? It would have at least 16mm2 cables into it :)
Last edited by Pondrew on Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

RobbiZ4

Roof Relays

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:21 pm

:rofl: :thumbsup:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Relays

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:26 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:17 pm
RobbiZ4 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:25 pm Hey guys,
:rofl: :rofl:
Robbie; please don't ever leave. :thumbsup:

Did it not occur to anyone that a 71 amp relay (odd number anyway never seen one so specific) is rated higher than the highest fuse capacity of the car? It would have at least 16mm2 cables into it :)
To be fair, I'm pretty sure Robbi has mentioned this in previous discussions too.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Relays

Post by Pondrew » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:41 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:26 pm To be fair, I'm pretty sure Robbi has mentioned this in previous discussions too.
Maybe a "search for whatever RobbiZ4 says" should be a sticky when it comes to anything roof related, or electrical related; because he knows his sh*t (unlike some others) which can be dangerous IMO :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pbondar

Roof Relays

Post by Pbondar » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:53 pm

Whilst it’s good that Robbie has clarified the issue (as usual) it’s churlish to suggest the OP was asking something illogical or obviously not valid.

Switching inductive loads, which is what these relays are doing in starting the electrical pump motor, are always more taxing compared to switching a simple resistive load.

Therefore the initial surge current may well exceed the recommended constant current capacity of either fuses or cables.

In fact often fuses used in inductive circuits are designed to cope with initial surges..so called slow blow fuses.

It could be argued that BMW should have a higher rated relay set fitted originally…I assume there wasn’t such an off the shelf option..

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Relays

Post by flybobbie » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:37 pm

Tyco (TE) do a 60 amp relay, on Farnell site about £18, but need to check the pinouts.
There are type A or B in this style relay.
https://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity/ ... price=true
Anyone have picture of bottom of relay so we can see numbers?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Relays

Post by Pondrew » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:47 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:53 pm Whilst it’s good that Robbie has clarified the issue (as usual) it’s churlish to suggest the OP was asking something illogical or obviously not valid.

Switching inductive loads, which is what these relays are doing in starting the electrical pump motor, are always more taxing compared to switching a simple resistive load.

Therefore the initial surge current may well exceed the recommended constant current capacity of either fuses or cables.

In fact often fuses used in inductive circuits are designed to cope with initial surges..so called slow blow fuses.

It could be argued that BMW should have a higher rated relay set fitted originally…I assume there wasn’t such an off the shelf option..
Peter; ever heard of quitting while you're ahead?
Your initial reply was ill-informed (and logically inept). Then Robbi put it right. I would have thought that was job done.
Don't worry, your reputation as the E89 technical guru will hold while you still have Google :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

RobbiZ4

Roof Relays

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:08 am

Morning guys,

Just calm down. :tumbleweed:
Like to support you as well behind your Brexit curtain. :P
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof Relays

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:29 am

RobbiZ4 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:08 am Morning guys,

Just calm down. :tumbleweed:
Like to support you as well behind your Brexit curtain. :P
Morning Robbi.
Working on the theory that we're not due to beat you at the football again until 2076, I'm all for keeping you on our side :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: