Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Convertible top operation while moving?

Discussing the current generation Z4
PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:34 pm

I know I read it somewhere, but I cannot find the limiting speed at which the convertible top can be raised or lowered. I have been using 20 mph and have had no problems, but I thought I ought to double check it. I've checked in my PDF Owner's Manual but cannot find the speed limit, only how to operate the switch. I rarely drive with the top up; I lower it when I back out of the garage, and raise it as I drive up our driveway. The car rarely sees wet or cold weather; I am LUCKY! 8)

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:37 pm

I can understand you wanting to double check, but I'm pretty certain the car would not let you operate it if you exceeded the allowed speed anyway?
Certainly that's what my wife's 2-series did.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:38 pm

Ah, here you go.
This article says 31mph
https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/bmw/z4/practicality

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:49 pm

Wow, that was a couple of very fast replies! Thanks.

Yes, I'd think the car would not allow operation is the speed limit were exceeded, but it doesn't hurt to know, that's for sure. I did read a piece on the internet this morning that said 25 mph, but that was for an older model. I still swear I read it somewhere in my BMW's manual, but I cannot find it anywhere now. I will have to check the car itself, I may have a printed manual somewhere in its"capacious" glove box.

Again, thank you!

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:55 pm

PaperSniper wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:49 pm Wow, that was a couple of very fast replies! Thanks.

Yes, I'd think the car would not allow operation is the speed limit were exceeded, but it doesn't hurt to know, that's for sure. I did read a piece on the internet this morning that said 25 mph, but that was for an older model. I still swear I read it somewhere in my BMW's manual, but I cannot find it anywhere now. I will have to check the car itself, I may have a printed manual somewhere in its"capacious" glove box.

Again, thank you!

Doug
No problems Doug. Working from home and the connection to work has failed. Shame!
So plenty of time to wander around the forum. :wink:

Yorkshire_Z4M40i

Post by Yorkshire_Z4M40i » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:31 pm

PaperSniper wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:49 pm Wow, that was a couple of very fast replies! Thanks.

Again, thank you!

Doug
I've had a message pop up to say the roof operation couldn't be performed due to speed... I hadn't realised I was driving over 30mph at the time... In my defense though, ts easily done given how keen the car is to go faster haha
Current: Z4 M40i in Misano Blue - All packs & full Xpel PPF fitted

Fondly remembered: VW Golf R DSG in Limestone Grey, BMW 220D M Sport in Black Sapphire & Mercedes A200 AMG Night Edition in South Sea Blue

Definitely forgotten: A few clangers 😅

raven

Post by raven » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:48 pm

Yorkshire_Z4M40i wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:31 pm

Again, thank you!

Doug
I've had a message pop up to say the roof operation couldn't be performed due to speed... I hadn't realised I was driving over 30mph at the time... In my defense though, ts easily done given how keen the car is to go faster haha
I just put the limiter on 50km/h when operating the roof while driving that way you don't accidentally go too fast :)
2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:08 pm

Of course, the car's speed doesn't account for a potential headwind, which is why I like to have a little margin. Twenty MPH on the speedo plus a 10 knot headwind is over 30 MPH the mechanism needs to overcome.

Luckily I've not yet been caught in a sudden rainstorm where I was not able to raise the top before those big, wet drops started splattering all over! I'd be testing the car's ability to raise the top at that point! 8)
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

rdm05z4

Post by rdm05z4 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:52 pm

I know these cars were designed to raise / drop the top below stated speeds. However, I make sure I am stopped before any top action. Even if I have to pull to side of road. This is just my OCD as don't want to take a chance of the top over time to possible issues because of top uses while driving. For those that wish to drive and lower / raise top while moving I have no ill will towards. This is just a post on the way I operate my top.
2005 3.0i Manual, Sterling Gray Metallic Sport suspension, heated seats, top line Business Cd radio
2007 Nissan Maxima -Silver-Auto
2009 VW Wolfsburg Jetta-Black-6sp manual

raven

Post by raven » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:47 pm

PaperSniper wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:08 pm Of course, the car's speed doesn't account for a potential headwind, which is why I like to have a little margin. Twenty MPH on the speedo plus a 10 knot headwind is over 30 MPH the mechanism needs to overcome.

Luckily I've not yet been caught in a sudden rainstorm where I was not able to raise the top before those big, wet drops started splattering all over! I'd be testing the car's ability to raise the top at that point! 8)
I doubt it takes the wind into account it probably just looks at the driving speed.
I'm sure there's a little margin built in to the system so that it would be fine closing at higher speeds, to have enough margin to account for a little wind. But if you don't have to close the roof during hurricane weather, its probably best not to do it :D

The roof is pretty slow, it may take only 10seconds to close, but it takes about the same time before the roof actually starts moving. If you're caught in sudden heavy rain, it will most definitely suck :D
2019 BMW Z4 G29 M40i @600hp - IG: ZZZZ_M40i

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:57 pm

rdm05z4 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:52 pm I know these cars were designed to raise / drop the top below stated speeds. However, I make sure I am stopped before any top action. Even if I have to pull to side of road. This is just my OCD as don't want to take a chance of the top over time to possible issues because of top uses while driving. For those that wish to drive and lower / raise top while moving I have no ill will towards. This is just a post on the way I operate my top.
No criticism of your choice, though trust the Engineer :thumbsup:

As an aside to the OP there’s no air speed indicator so wind speed is excluded from the equation, if it were me I’d add a simple strain gauge to a strut and if the stresses exceed a specified limit I would sound a bong to give warning and reduce speed etcetera
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

ori

Post by ori » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:25 pm

I know it’s limited to 31mph, but I read somewhere they tested up to 100mph without issue!

Scubaregs
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scubaregs » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:26 pm

I don't think there is any issue raising/lowering the roof at the speed its allowed to do so, manufacturers would not allow the funcyion if they thought in any way it could lead to damage and a warranty claim.

So saying, I always break very gently as I don't want to damage the pad material. :D
Abstinence is fine, in moderation.

San Francisco red G29 30i. BMW S1000r Sport.
Image Image

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:49 pm

sars wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:57 pm
rdm05z4 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:52 pm I know these cars were designed to raise / drop the top below stated speeds. However, I make sure I am stopped before any top action. Even if I have to pull to side of road. This is just my OCD as don't want to take a chance of the top over time to possible issues because of top uses while driving. For those that wish to drive and lower / raise top while moving I have no ill will towards. This is just a post on the way I operate my top.
No criticism of your choice, though trust the Engineer :thumbsup:

As an aside to the OP there’s no air speed indicator so wind speed is excluded from the equation, if it were me I’d add a simple strain gauge to a strut and if the stresses exceed a specified limit I would sound a bong to give warning and reduce speed etcetera
Or a Pitot tube linked to prevent any movement?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

WouterZZZZ

Post by WouterZZZZ » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:06 pm

The roof of my 2006 3.0si delivered in the USA, since 2009 in Europe, is not closing when driving. Maybe due to other country policy/rules?